Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: New 45' Winnebago Grand Tour  (Read 1342 times)

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
New 45' Winnebago Grand Tour
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
Others may already know this, but Winnie's new 45' Grand Tour is available now. The 45 RL has things like a side radiator and a steerable tag, so there's a lot to like, but with an MSRP of $488,000.00, you'd better bring your spare penny jar. http://www.lichtsinn.com/product/new-2017-winnebago-grand-tour-45rl-498309-10

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

captcosmic

• ---
Re: New 45' Winnebago Grand Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Holy Crap, and my $22K price tag for my 1999 Winnebago 34V hurt. OUCH.. $488K!! :)
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 34V

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »
And next year it will sell for $250k...
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
Ah-ha. I wonder if that's some of the Country Coach influence. It's good to see the side radiator make a comeback.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Massmerch

• ---
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
They may be a bit pricey, but boy are they nice!
Randy
2005 Itasca Horizon 40 KD
2016 Jeep Unlimited
Hesperia, Ca.

Raylc

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 08:14:41 PM »
WOW that is nice. At $488 it should be. Kev when will yours arrive?
Ray and Sheila
Huntsville, TX.
2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »
Sign me up. As long as I live to be about 200 years old, I should be able to pay it off.

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »
Absolutely AWESOME!  I saw this a few months ago in a video!  Serious - a 55" outside TV!!  If I had the money, it would be in my garage.  There are some real nice features that will trickle down in the fleet.  I'm wondering how much longer they are going to be able to push this with the ISL before they need to look at the 600 hp.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:38:27 AM »
They are using the Cummins ISL? Seriously? At that price point I want at least an ISM or more appropriately an ISX.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
Yeah, I was about to buy one until I realized it didn't have a coffee maker. What is it with Winnie's reluctance to install coffee makers? Our previous two motorhomes - a Seabreeze and an Allegro had them, but I had to install one in our Tour. I swore I'd never buy another motorhome without a coffee maker. ;D

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

oldwasichu

• ---
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
LOL. We had a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer years ago. Never used the coffee maker as I didn't like where it was mounted as it pretty much guaranteed that the finish on the cabinets would ultimately be compromised. Always used another coffee make in the kitchen area. Wife has often suggested that we bring a Keurig along in the new coach, but I gotta have fresh ground. Just tastes so much better than the pod choices.

Kevin, I'm sure the bean counters have something to do with no coffee maker being included in a $400,000+ plus coach. Probably adds a whopping $10 to profitability.   ;)

Quite honestly, what I miss most on the newer models is the propane range cooktop. There is not even an option to add this. We only use cast iron and the induction tops are just not as good for that and get scratched over time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:30:06 AM by oldwasichu »
Dave & Jeanne
Northern Illinois
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
Scottish terriers (Angus and Lil)

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
My wife would miss the gas.  Maybe it will come back with all the new RV gas cooktops they are coming out with - Furrion, Fisher-Paykel, etc.  They sure look nicer than that typical RV range.
Brad and Dory
Denver, CO

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
I agree about being disappointed in no gas stoves. I am spending a really pretty penny right now at the sticks and bricks running a new gas line and buying a high quality gas range with electric oven. When I cook, I want to be able to control the heat precisely. I hope if/when we ever get a motor home there will be an easy way to swap out the electric range for a gas one. I also need at least three burners, maybe four. I really enjoy cooking! And as for coffee makers, assuming you mean a Mr. Coffee style maker, pfffftttt! If I can't turn on the generator to use the big expresso machine, I use freshly ground beans and an Aeropress. Nothing like truly fresh coffee instead of something that sits on a hot plate for an hour or more. (How's that for a first world problem?)
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
No gas - that's interesting. Our current house has a nice gas range, our first. I do like the infinitely variable heat range but unless you get into a really high end range like the Viking, the low setting is sometimes not low enough (I have adjusted the burners.) The Viking will start/stop the flame for a really low simmer. Very cool.

All electric coaches have been around for several years but I was never interested in one for a variety of reasons (like being on 30 amp shore power and trying to run two tons of AC and bake in an electric oven.)
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
No gas - that's interesting. Our current house has a nice gas range, our first. I do like the infinitely variable heat range but unless you get into a really high end range like the Viking, the low setting is sometimes not low enough (I have adjusted the burners.) The Viking will start/stop the flame for a really low simmer. Very cool.

All electric coaches have been around for several years but I was never interested in one for a variety of reasons (like being on 30 amp shore power and trying to run two tons of AC and bake in an electric oven.)
Yeah, my new range has one burner designed for low temp simmering at only 5000 BTU while the other 4 burners range from 9500 to 18000 BTU. Limited cooking ability would be a big deal if we ever went full-time. Most of the time I only use two burners at a time, but I have had all four going for big dinners on my old stove. Like I said, I like to cook! And I am another one that would want to run on 30 amps at least sometimes.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »
I (we) completely agree about all electric coaches. They're probably great for folks who are always plugged into shore-power, but if you boondock a lot like us, an electric stove top is just another electrical consumer that draws a relatively high amount of power.

As it is, the only factory installed LP appliance in our coach are the three stove top burners - and for that, Winnie installed a 28 gallon propane tank! Nearly four years after we bought our coach, the propane tank is still indicating full.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »
...Nearly four years after we bought our coach, the propane tank is still indicating full.
Four years on one tank - wow! We usually burn through about 20 gallons every winter with the gas aux heat, this winter I deployed a rotating space heater which took some of the heat load off the gas furnace.

I was just reminiscing about our 14 month cruise of the eastern Caribbean and Venezuela in our sailboat. The original oven was alcohol (talk about dangerous!) and I replaced it with propane. I mounted two aluminum 20 pound horizontal tanks on either side of the mainmast (we were a ketch.) 20 pounds would last 4-6 weeks, dear wife baked bread every week (yummy) and she cooked or baked every day. Taking a bottle ashore for filling was always an adventure. One time in the Bahamas I was about ready to run when the guy kept filling and filling and filling, he wasn't weighing the bottle and apparently went by 'seat of the pants feel.'
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
As it is, the only factory installed LP appliance in our coach are the three stove top burners - and for that, Winnie installed a 28 gallon propane tank! Nearly four years after we bought our coach, the propane tank is still indicating full.

Kev
Like John, I am amazed. We use 5-6 30 pound bottle a year, but we do camp in shoulder seasons and in the mountains so we use the furnace a lot. I have started cooking inside a lot more than I used to do also, and I use both the stove and the oven.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
I know, our coach on order will be our first all electric coach. Diane likes gas cooking, but is willing to accept the challenge.  She is in the process of switching out some of her cookware to work with the induction cooking. We opted to upgrade the standard model to the Wolf induction.  We will see how it goes.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
Do all electric coaches use electric for heating too? I just can't imagine having enough power for heat without running a generator all the time, but we routinely camp at lows in the mid 20s in the spring and fall. As long as it warms up to 50 during the day, I actually prefer the cooler temps, because it keeps the hoards away!

BTW Sarge, that is a gorgeous coach. I just wish it was possible to get a good looking coach with the features I would prefer - propane stove, oven, and heat. I am even ambivalent on an electric refrigerator. I guess at a certain point I will just have to give up on FS and NPS sites and stay in RV parks only since it seems all-electric is the majority of newer coaches I see. We contemplate buying a motor home in 5-10 years after we have the more remote travel out of our system and get old enough that dealing with the trailer hitch gets tough. That's why I am interested in what coaches have now since we would prefer buying a 3-5 year old unit.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »
Like John, I am amazed. We use 5-6 30 pound bottle a year, but we do camp in shoulder seasons and in the mountains so we use the furnace a lot. I have started cooking inside a lot more than I used to do also, and I use both the stove and the oven.
Our furnace and water heater use an Aqua Hot system (diesel) and our fridge is a residential unit. The majority of our cooking is done in the microwave, and I like to BBQ outside, but our coach doesn't have a gas oven. In cooler months, we often camp in the Arizona and California deserts, and while it can get "cold", it's nothing compared to places that really get cold.

We rarely need anything more than our catalytic "Big Buddy" heater, which only sips propane - and we usually don't even need that. In fact, Cyndi just reminded me that we haven't used the Aqua Hot furnace to heat the coach since January, 2014 when it snowed on us in Tucson, AZ. We do fire it up once or twice a day to get hot water though.

The Big Buddy and the BBQ are now plumbed into the RV's LP tank, but even those two things, combined with the three stove top burners, use very little propane.

Kev
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:08:19 AM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Lakeside, California

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
Our furnace and water heater use an Aqua Hot system (diesel) and our fridge is a residential unit. The majority of our cooking is done in the microwave, and I like to BBQ outside, but our coach doesn't have a gas oven. In cooler months, we often camp in the Arizona and California deserts, and while it can get "cold", it's nothing compared to places that really get cold.

We rarely need anything more than our catalytic "Big Buddy" heater, which only sips propane - and we usually don't even need that. In fact, Cyndi just reminded me that we haven't used the Aqua Hot furnace to heat the coach since January, 2014 when it snowed on us in Tucson, AZ. We do fire it up once or twice a day to get hot water though.

The Big Buddy and the BBQ are now plumbed into the RV's LP tank, but even those two things, combined with the three stove top burners, use very little propane.

Kev
I noticed that on a 2011 Ellipse 42QD we were trying to deal on.  I chuckled with the Dealer and said that tank probably still has the original propane in it.  Beautiful coach by the way, we just couldn't get anywhere on the deal with it as a consignment.
Brad and Dory
Denver, CO

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »

I was just reminiscing about our 14 month cruise of the eastern Caribbean and Venezuela in our sailboat. The original oven was alcohol (talk about dangerous!) and I replaced it with propane. I mounted two aluminum 20 pound horizontal tanks on either side of the mainmast (we were a ketch.) 20 pounds would last 4-6 weeks, dear wife baked bread every week (yummy) and she cooked or baked every day. Taking a bottle ashore for filling was always an adventure. One time in the Bahamas I was about ready to run when the guy kept filling and filling and filling, he wasn't weighing the bottle and apparently went by 'seat of the pants feel.'

I always thought the alcohol on marine vessels was because the LP had no place to settle or vent in a boat other than the bilge or cabin?
Brad and Dory
Denver, CO

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »
Yes, that was the original idea of using alcohol in a marine situation, problem is you can't extinguish it with water - my wife found out the hard way. LP can be safe on a boat, we had a shut-off solenoid that had to be turned on for gas. I think there was a drive to use compressed natural gas which I think was lighter than air but I don't think it ever took off.

* in addition the sweet smell of alcohol was horrible and I think the BTU value is relatively low
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
The new rig will use the Aqua Hot for heating as well. I was surprised when the DW said that she was not opposed to the all electric coach, since that eliminates one fuel source.  She is the cook of the camp, so I am always agreeable to what she wants to do for kitchen equipment.  The propane can be a bit of a scary fuel when things like the propane refers act up.  And then this last trip our propane fitting decided to start to leak at the tank while we were in Yellowstone. No propane dealers or equipment on the mountain, so we made several trips back and forth trying to solve the leaking hose issue.  No propane meant no hot water, and limited cooking. We rarely micro anything, so with no stove we juggled a bit.

I am willing to give the all electric coach a shot. With the Aqua Hot for water and heating (if necessary) and a 10 KW Onan to fill in for power, I think we will survive OK.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
Yes, that was the original idea of using alcohol in a marine situation, problem is you can't extinguish it with water - my wife found out the hard way. LP can be safe on a boat, we had a shut-off solenoid that had to be turned on for gas. I think there was a drive to use compressed natural gas which I think was lighter than air but I don't think it ever took off.

* in addition the sweet smell of alcohol was horrible and I think the BTU value is relatively low
Interesting, thanks!  I haven't kept up with marine since the early nineties.
Brad and Dory
Denver, CO

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 04:28:20 PM »
I swore I'd never buy another motorhome without a coffee maker. ;D

Kev

For almost a half million dollars you'd think you could buy your own Starbucks location... and then you'd have several coffee makers at your beck and call.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:52:52 PM by TonyDtorch »

Hosted by Over The Network