New 45' Winnebago Grand Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
Others may already know this, but Winnie's new 45' Grand Tour is available now. The 45 RL has things like a side radiator and a steerable tag, so there's a lot to like, but with an MSRP of $488,000.00, you'd better bring your spare penny jar. http://www.lichtsinn.com/product/new-2017-winnebago-grand-tour-45rl-498309-10

Kev

Absolutely AWESOME!  I saw this a few months ago in a video!  Serious - a 55" outside TV!!  If I had the money, it would be in my garage.  There are some real nice features that will trickle down in the fleet.  I'm wondering how much longer they are going to be able to push this with the ISL before they need to look at the 600 hp.

Yeah, I was about to buy one until I realized it didn't have a coffee maker. What is it with Winnie's reluctance to install coffee makers? Our previous two motorhomes - a Seabreeze and an Allegro had them, but I had to install one in our Tour. I swore I'd never buy another motorhome without a coffee maker. ;D

Kev

LOL. We had a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer years ago. Never used the coffee maker as I didn't like where it was mounted as it pretty much guaranteed that the finish on the cabinets would ultimately be compromised. Always used another coffee make in the kitchen area. Wife has often suggested that we bring a Keurig along in the new coach, but I gotta have fresh ground. Just tastes so much better than the pod choices.

Kevin, I'm sure the bean counters have something to do with no coffee maker being included in a $400,000+ plus coach. Probably adds a whopping $10 to profitability.  ;)

Quite honestly, what I miss most on the newer models is the propane range cooktop. There is not even an option to add this. We only use cast iron and the induction tops are just not as good for that and get scratched over time.

My wife would miss the gas.  Maybe it will come back with all the new RV gas cooktops they are coming out with - Furrion, Fisher-Paykel, etc.  They sure look nicer than that typical RV range.

I agree about being disappointed in no gas stoves. I am spending a really pretty penny right now at the sticks and bricks running a new gas line and buying a high quality gas range with electric oven. When I cook, I want to be able to control the heat precisely. I hope if/when we ever get a motor home there will be an easy way to swap out the electric range for a gas one. I also need at least three burners, maybe four. I really enjoy cooking! And as for coffee makers, assuming you mean a Mr. Coffee style maker, pfffftttt! If I can't turn on the generator to use the big expresso machine, I use freshly ground beans and an Aeropress. Nothing like truly fresh coffee instead of something that sits on a hot plate for an hour or more. (How's that for a first world problem?)

No gas - that's interesting. Our current house has a nice gas range, our first. I do like the infinitely variable heat range but unless you get into a really high end range like the Viking, the low setting is sometimes not low enough (I have adjusted the burners.) The Viking will start/stop the flame for a really low simmer. Very cool.

All electric coaches have been around for several years but I was never interested in one for a variety of reasons (like being on 30 amp shore power and trying to run two tons of AC and bake in an electric oven.)

John Canfield said:
No gas - that's interesting. Our current house has a nice gas range, our first. I do like the infinitely variable heat range but unless you get into a really high end range like the Viking, the low setting is sometimes not low enough (I have adjusted the burners.) The Viking will start/stop the flame for a really low simmer. Very cool.

All electric coaches have been around for several years but I was never interested in one for a variety of reasons (like being on 30 amp shore power and trying to run two tons of AC and bake in an electric oven.)
Yeah, my new range has one burner designed for low temp simmering at only 5000 BTU while the other 4 burners range from 9500 to 18000 BTU. Limited cooking ability would be a big deal if we ever went full-time. Most of the time I only use two burners at a time, but I have had all four going for big dinners on my old stove. Like I said, I like to cook! And I am another one that would want to run on 30 amps at least sometimes.

I (we) completely agree about all electric coaches. They're probably great for folks who are always plugged into shore-power, but if you boondock a lot like us, an electric stove top is just another electrical consumer that draws a relatively high amount of power.

As it is, the only factory installed LP appliance in our coach are the three stove top burners - and for that, Winnie installed a 28 gallon propane tank! Nearly four years after we bought our coach, the propane tank is still indicating full.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
...Nearly four years after we bought our coach, the propane tank is still indicating full.
Four years on one tank - wow! We usually burn through about 20 gallons every winter with the gas aux heat, this winter I deployed a rotating space heater which took some of the heat load off the gas furnace.

I was just reminiscing about our 14 month cruise of the eastern Caribbean and Venezuela in our sailboat. The original oven was alcohol (talk about dangerous!) and I replaced it with propane. I mounted two aluminum 20 pound horizontal tanks on either side of the mainmast (we were a ketch.) 20 pounds would last 4-6 weeks, dear wife baked bread every week (yummy) and she cooked or baked every day. Taking a bottle ashore for filling was always an adventure. One time in the Bahamas I was about ready to run when the guy kept filling and filling and filling, he wasn't weighing the bottle and apparently went by 'seat of the pants feel.'

Kevin Means said:
As it is, the only factory installed LP appliance in our coach are the three stove top burners - and for that, Winnie installed a 28 gallon propane tank! Nearly four years after we bought our coach, the propane tank is still indicating full.

Kev
Like John, I am amazed. We use 5-6 30 pound bottle a year, but we do camp in shoulder seasons and in the mountains so we use the furnace a lot. I have started cooking inside a lot more than I used to do also, and I use both the stove and the oven.

I know, our coach on order will be our first all electric coach. Diane likes gas cooking, but is willing to accept the challenge.  She is in the process of switching out some of her cookware to work with the induction cooking. We opted to upgrade the standard model to the Wolf induction.  We will see how it goes.

Do all electric coaches use electric for heating too? I just can't imagine having enough power for heat without running a generator all the time, but we routinely camp at lows in the mid 20s in the spring and fall. As long as it warms up to 50 during the day, I actually prefer the cooler temps, because it keeps the hoards away!

BTW Sarge, that is a gorgeous coach. I just wish it was possible to get a good looking coach with the features I would prefer - propane stove, oven, and heat. I am even ambivalent on an electric refrigerator. I guess at a certain point I will just have to give up on FS and NPS sites and stay in RV parks only since it seems all-electric is the majority of newer coaches I see. We contemplate buying a motor home in 5-10 years after we have the more remote travel out of our system and get old enough that dealing with the trailer hitch gets tough. That's why I am interested in what coaches have now since we would prefer buying a 3-5 year old unit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom