AT&T Unlimited 4G LTE for $20 a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou Schneider

Site Team
AT&T is offering unlimited 4G LTE mobile data for $20 per month.  This is a standalone plan, you don't need any other AT&T or DirecTV service.

It's called Connected Car Unlimited and uses a ZTE Mobley device that plugs into a car's OBDII diagnostic port and turns the car into a mobile hotspot.  You're guaranteed 22 GB per month at full 4G speeds, after that you can be throttled if there's network congestion.

The Mobley doesn't access any data from the port, it only uses it to get 12 volt power.  If your car (motorhome?) doesn't have an OBDII port there are enterprising souls on Ebay selling AC and cigarette lighter adapters.  Or you can just connect +12 volts and ground directly to the Mobley.

AT&T says the Mobley is free with a 2 year contract, but there's a $45 setup charge.  Or you can buy it outright for $99 without a contract and they'll waive the setup charge.  I ordered mine last week, it arrived at my house 2 days later and works as advertised.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323

Lou, please let us know how the coverage and below-dash reception is. I'm tempted to can my t-mobile 'backup device/plan for this one, and I'd still save $10/month..

Unfortunately, I don't have any vehicles newer than 1996, which is when the OIBII port was introduced, so I'm not using it below the dash.  But coverage shouldn't be any different than a cell phone sitting on the center console.

AT&T's 4G LTE coverage map looks pretty good:

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html?selectedTab=coverage&subSelection=data

I've only tried it in one location in Los Angeles so far, but I will be taking it out to various sites in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Lou. I'd probably put it in a cabinet above the driver; I can easily get 12V to it there.

I have the Mobley sitting at my mail forwarder's, waiting for us to settle someplace long enough to have it sent on. I've already activated it on the $20 unlimited plan, and it should make a nice alternative to our $60 250GB and unlimited phone AT&T Homebase plan. For less than $10, I'll be making my own USB power cord for it, so I can use the Mobley with either 12-VDC, 120VAC, a USB battery pack, or pretty much any other USB port. Or actually plugging it into an OBD2 port as intended of course.

John From Detroit said:
My T-Mobile Mobily does indeed send data from the port to my phone's "Motion" app.

Just so you know.

That's a different critter, John. The AT&T Mobley only uses the OBD2 port for power. It has no connections to the OBD bus.

Just hooked up my ZTE Mobley yesterday. Have a USB power supply from Ebay. I'm seeing 15-20mbps down and 8-10mbps up, depending on the time of day. I live on the north side of K.C.MO.`Several set up options. Factory set to shut off every 30 minutes. Can be changed to never shut off. Settings for SSID, password, VPN, etc.

Richard

AT&T's web site is showing the Mobley as out of stock online, and not in any stores in my area.
Best Buy doesn't have it in any stores within 250 miles of Orlando, and "shipping not available".
Per their online chat's guy with the fractured grammar:
Steve: Hello! How may I help you today?
Paul: Hi Steve. How soon will ZTE Mobleys be available again?
Steve: Hi Paul, thank you for visiting AT&T! My name is Steve, and I would be happy to assist you with your request on that device.
Steve: I was checking
Steve: and I can not tell you an exact date, however we usually restock all of the items every 30 day of the month, so you can check that the 1st day this month so you can be sure you can take it.

#1.  Who qualifies?  DIRECTV customers in good standing.  Since I'm thinking of canceling DTV I would not.
#2.  Overage charges?
#3.  They talk about 5 devices, then 10 devices,  then an ancillary device which would be a separate account.  Never do they define what an ancillary(?) device is.
#4.  Additional charges and fees. 
#5.  At what point does it throttle your bandwidth?
#6.  At what point are there additional charges for going over 22 GB?
#7.  Haw can they call it unlimited in light of #2, 5, and 6?

#1 Anyone that passes the credit check qualifies. There is no requirement to be a DTV subscriber. In fact, I'm a Dish subscriber.
#2 My actual bill for the Mobley is about $22.50, including all fees and taxes. I can't be more exact, since I also have an AT&T Homebase 250GB plan on the same account.
#3 The Mobley only allows 5 devices to connect to it at one time.
#4 If you purchase the Mobley outright, there are no additional activation charges. On contract, there is a $45 activation fee.
#5 Your bandwidth is never "throttled". After 22GB, if the tower you're on at the time is congested, your service may be dropped to a lower priority until the congestion clears up. I've yet to see this happen, or if it did, the slow down was no more noticeable than any other service on a busy tower.
#6 There are no additional charges for overages. The plan is really unlimited.
#7 They can call it unlimited because there is no limit on how much data you can use. Under certain conditions, using that data may be slowed down somewhat though.

What Dutch said.  I think you're looking at the wrong plan.

On the AT&T ZTE Mobley page scroll down until you see:

2. AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only. Consumer and Individual Responsibility Users only.

Eligibility: Requires eligible vehicle, eligible aftermarket device and new or existing AT&T wireless account.

Data Restrictions: After 22GB of data usage on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot in a bill cycle, for the rest of the cycle AT&T may slow data speeds on vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot during periods of network congestion.

Pricing: $20 per aftermarket device monthly plan charge (3 aftermarket devices on plan results in $60 monthly plan charge).

Devices: Sold separately.

Limits: 3 aftermarket devices per plan.

Hotspot: Connects up to 5 Wi-Fi capable devices per vehicle hotspot. Devices connected to vehicle?s hotspot use data from your plan. Once a device connects, it will automatically reconnect and use data from your plan unless hotspot is removed from returning device settings or hotspot password is changed. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors.

Video Streaming: Plan includes Stream Saver, which allows you to save data by streaming higher definition video at Standard Definition quality (about 480p). AT&T will activate it. Check your account online to see if active. You may then turn it off or back on at any time at att.com/myatt. Stream saver will not recognize all video content. Ability to stream & video resolution vary, and are affected by other factors. Restrictions apply. See att.com/streamsaver for details.

International: Wi-Fi hotspot functionality not available outside of U.S.

General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to Wireless Customer Agreement (see att.com/wca). Services are not for resale. Credit approval and deposit may apply.

Other Monthly Charges per Line: May include taxes, fed. & state universal svc. charges, Reg. Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), gross receipts surcharge, Admin. Fee, & certain gov?t assessments which are not gov?t req?d charges. Pricing, promotions & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & svc. not avail. everywhere. You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. Other restr?s apply & may result in svc termination"

My bill last month was $20 plus $3.34 in taxes and fees for a total of $23.34 for 83.43GB usage.

Hopefully the Mobley will be back in stock soon.  I suspect the demand turned out to be a bit more than AT&T anticipated.

AT&T is offering unlimited 4G LTE mobile data for $20 per month
  AT&T can offer it at $10.00 a month ...
I am an OTR truck driver and believe me when I say , their service SUCKS potatoes  !
Although the price is not that low , I STILL use VERIZON . At $80.00 for UNLIMITED everything , and with MUCH better coverage than AT&T or US Cell or Boost , or T-Mobile ....
And NO contract  :-*

( and FWIW  - I only use the 4G and cell in the truck ... when I go camping ... THAT cell stays SHUT OFF , unless an emergency arises - which , so far has not happened - thank God )

We've been up and down the east coast from upstate NY to Florida and back, with no loss of AT&T signal even while underway. We do have a Max Amp RV cell booster on board though, that finds signals even where other boosters don't. Nor do we have a contract for our AT&T Mobley unlimited data plan. As a backup, we do carry a Verizon Jetpack flashed to a grey market $5/mo 3G only plan just in case we do find an AT&T dead spot someday.

just in case we do find an AT&T dead spot someday

Come out to the "true" midwest , or further west and you WILL find plenty of DEAD spots for AT&T  ...  LOL    ;D

Back
Top Bottom