AT&T Unlimited 4G LTE for $20 a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff said:
What I have learned is that  almost all AT&T sales people know nothing about this program!

They don't make this easy, I'll say that.  ::)

After another attempt to order online, in which I got further than last time, they apparently didn't like something.  Gave up and went to an AT&T store for a second time.  First time they claimed no knowledge of such a deal and/or I wasn't clear in what I wanted.  ???

Thanks to you Jeff, Lou and others I knew what to ask for.  Surprisingly the young lady who greeted me said, "Yes, I think I know what you're after, let me look."  :)

While looking on her tablet she asked the store manager if he remembered the plan.  He came over and I repeated what I was looking for and he says "No we don't have that and it would be a lot more than $20" ... so maybe I was a little firm  ;D ... but polite ... when I replied ... "Yes you do, and no it's $20."

My sales gal agreed with me and kept looking.  Manager type retreated and disappeared.  Shortly she found the plan and I was signed up and good to go, they will be shipping to me.

MADE MY DAY !!  I won one for a change!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Howard

After going to the AT&T store and having them order this for me, I got my device and thought I was in good shape.  However, they simply added the device but not the connected car plan.  So, I have the device but it is simply sharing the data that I originally had for my phone.  They now say to get it fixed on my account, I have to be on a conference call with OnStar, which I don't even have a car that uses OnStar.  Has anyone else had this problem or had them question your onstar service in any way?

NY_Dutch said:
I used a USB 5V to 12V converter assembly and an OBD2 female socket to make my own Mobley adapter. Just two solder connections and it was done. Both items were found on eBay with a total cost of $3.85 including shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Meter-DC-5V-to-DC-12V-Step-UP-Module-USB-Converter-Adapter-Cable-2-1x5-5mm-Plug-/122505977568?hash=item1c85ecdee0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262864520851?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The photo shows the Mobley adapter connected to a USB battery pack.

The second photo shows the 120VAC adapter I made from a spare 12-volt wall wart and a free salvage yard OBD2 socket.

Dutch

How long did it take for your parts to arrive?
I look and it says estimated delivery between July 13 and August 22. 
Not sure they are updating the information.

Thanks

Bob

Bob T said:
Dutch

How long did it take for your parts to arrive?
I look and it says estimated delivery between July 13 and August 22. 
Not sure they are updating the information.

Thanks

Bob

As I recall, Bob, both pieces arrived in about 10-12 days. Getting them from my mail forwarder added another 2-3 days though. The date spread from China is because they use a very low cost shipping system using bulk containers. It depends on just how fast the next container fills up and ships out, but I've never had anything from China take more than 2 weeks...

Thank you very much
Will have to time this carefully,  they won't ship to Canada so I will have to have shipped to an address in the US and have it held for my next visit.
Going to try and pick up the Mobley today, stop to an AT & T store, if that doesn't work, will order online and hopefully receive while here.

Have a great day everyone.

Just wondering if any other Canadians have tried to order this hot spot and service from AT&T either online or through their customer care?

I spent 2 hours today either on the phone or online trying to get this completed.

Started on the phone, talked to one girl and having major trouble hearing her so she said hold on and she would fix.  Well, I somehow went back to their system and when I didn't push any buttons got connected to their cellular division.

Then tried again, got someone that was to connect me to their connected car department, got connected to another gent and could barely hear him again, (not my phone because the person that transferred me I could hear perfectly).  He took my number and said he would call me right back.  Haha, that never happened.

Then tried online, got everything filled in, billing address here in Canada, ship to address in up state NY but now asks for Social Security Number.  Well, I have no idea what to enter as we don't have SS numbers here.

Now back on to the phone, get a lovely gal in the right dept and she says she can help.

Well, we get credit card info, ship to address, bill to address, birth date etc all done and now the system says need SS Number.  She talks to supervisor and they both are at a loss as to what to do.  Now I have been on the phone with her for an hour and she starts saying we are looking when the line disconnects.

Today, if I were to have any luck at all, it would be bad.

Has anyone from this side of the border been able to order and if so, can you give me some guidance please.

Thanks very much

Bob

Bob T said:
Just wondering if any other Canadians have tried to order this hot spot and service from AT&T either online or through their customer care?

I spent 2 hours today either on the phone or online trying to get this completed.

Started on the phone, talked to one girl and having major trouble hearing her so she said hold on and she would fix.  Well, I somehow went back to their system and when I didn't push any buttons got connected to their cellular division.

Then tried again, got someone that was to connect me to their connected car department, got connected to another gent and could barely hear him again, (not my phone because the person that transferred me I could hear perfectly).  He took my number and said he would call me right back.  Haha, that never happened.

Then tried online, got everything filled in, billing address here in Canada, ship to address in up state NY but now asks for Social Security Number.  Well, I have no idea what to enter as we don't have SS numbers here.

Now back on to the phone, get a lovely gal in the right dept and she says she can help.

Well, we get credit card info, ship to address, bill to address, birth date etc all done and now the system says need SS Number.  She talks to supervisor and they both are at a loss as to what to do.  Now I have been on the phone with her for an hour and she starts saying we are looking when the line disconnects.

Today, if I were to have any luck at all, it would be bad.

Has anyone from this side of the border been able to order and if so, can you give me some guidance please.

Thanks very much

Bob

I'd guess you will have to go to an ATT store....???  They want the SS number so they can get a credit report/credit check.  Equifax, Transunion or some such place.  There must be an equivalent system in Ca?

I certainly understand them wanting to do a credit check if they were billing me monthly but they will be debiting my credit card.
How much more secure can that be?
Anyway, headed towards the NY Finger Lakes area today for a couple of weeks. Hopefully get this resolved soon 

Bob T wrote:

Well, I have no idea what to enter as we don't have SS numbers here.

Sure ya do, we call it a SIN number  (Social Insurance Number). But... it is not supposed to be used for that sort of thing. I have used it a couple of times in USA to simply facilitate the form filling needs and they seemed satisfied although I doubt they got any credit info as a result. I am not sure they will be able to charge a Canadian debit or credit card either. I had to open and use an American bank account and credit card in US$ to get that "privilege".

taoshum wrote:

They want the SS number so they can get a credit report/credit check.  Equifax, Transunion or some such place.  There must be an equivalent system in Ca?

There is indeed, Equifax comes to mind but Americans do not seem to have access to the Canadian version, don't know how  or just don't try. Walmart has refused me a credit card several times for just that reason.

Try buying gasoline at the pump in USA using a Canadian (or American) credit card. They usually ask for a ZIP code for the billing address of the card. Canadian postal codes, not surprisingly,  don't work!!

As a Canadian, how are you planning on using the Mobley ??  They seem to require a 2 year contract and that would be quite expensive for even a 5 mo./year snowbird like me. I would sure like to get away from the cable company for my internet access down there!!!

Do you know if this can be used for WIFI calling?  I currently use Verizon.....some places we have camped do not have verizon signals but get Att. 

Thanks

Jim H

What do you mean by WIFI??  This unit is used with the ATT cellular network and not Verizon's  network.

when you connect to the unit with your cell phone,  wouldn't the phone then be using wifi?  hence wifi calling???

Jim H

jims94vmx said:
  Do you know if this can be used for WIFI calling?  I currently use Verizon.....some places we have camped do not have verizon signals but get Att. 

Thanks

Jim H

Yes.  That will work fine.

Can this unit be used to make/receive telephone calls by connecting a cell phone with WIFI capability or is it strictly data (as used on a tablet/pc, smartphone etc.) 

If so, then this might be cheaper than even a prepaid phone like ATT or Tracfone.

"Try buying gasoline at the pump in USA using a Canadian (or American) credit card. They usually ask for a ZIP code for the billing address of the card. Canadian postal codes, not surprisingly,  don't work!! "

If you're buying gas and zip is asked for, a trick I was told was to just enter the numbers of your postal code followed by 2 zero's.
Works every time for me.

"As a Canadian, how are you planning on using the Mobley ??  They seem to require a 2 year contract and that would be quite expensive for even a 5 mo./year snowbird like me. I would sure like to get away from the cable company for my internet access down there!!!"

I have spoken with AT &T supervisors. They assure me I can get with no contract if I purchase the unit. I am thinking I will hold service for 4-5 months, then put on hold. When I need again, they have told me I can re-instate service BUT I will have to purchase a new SIM card for $25.00.

My intention is to have this billed to my US Visa card so, their fees are secure.

Thank you Bob T.

No contract makes this an interesting proposition, I will look into that when I go south next fall. Heh heh, they used to give away those SIM cards for prepay phone use and no service charge to set it up via the internet!!

Was there anything said about using it with a smartphone with wifi to make/receive calls too?

I have tried other versions of the + 00 trick but never got it right. I guess any series of 3 numbers + 00 should work. (A gas station operator had given me the trick). My answer was to change the billing address on my USA Visa card to my Florida address and have never had a problem since.

Alfa38User said:
Was there anything said about using it with a smartphone with wifi to make/receive calls too?

I never thought to ask that question.

Not sure if this info is of any use to you but when we were in Florida in April, one morning I had real good connection to the park wifi so I called home to my daughter using face time.
Worked pretty well. Only connection I had was the wifi and I used an iphone 5.

Bob

We've been in a few areas where our Verizon smart phones were getting marginal service, but we could easily use the VOIP app on our phones with our AT&T/Mobley WiFi service instead for voice calls.

BTW, the $20/mo for unlimited data turns out to be almost $25... a 25% bump to pay the fees and taxes.  Just so you know the "rest of the story" with no surprises.  So, of course, T-Mobile, just cut an ad saying that the price on TV ads is the real price including fees and taxes... so there ATT!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom