AT&T Unlimited 4G LTE for $20 a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ordered mine this afternoon. The entire process went smoothly. Order confirmation received. Don't expect to get a shipment notice until sometime after the holiday.

I think this forum is singularly responsible for the global Mobley shortage  ;)

Lou Schneider said:
All the Mobley needs is a source of 12 volt power.  Ebay and Amazon have numerous AC, 12 volt and USB custom adapters available.  It's become a regular cottage industry.

Another option is to get the USB power cord and run it from a USB phone charger plug-in cube, a USB port on a computer or a USB pocket battery like you'd use to charge a cell phone.

Lou,

Am I right in assuming that the Mobely USB Power Cord requires an OBD II plug or receptacle on one end and a USB plug on the other end. If so, how does one use a cigarette lighter adapter to power the Mobely? What is the voltage range acceptable to the Mobely? I dug through my junk box and found several USB phone charger plug-in cubes with voltage outputs varying all over the place. I am confused about the options to power my soon to arrive Mobely. Thanks for any help you can give me.

R

Richard, the Mobley takes +12 volts on Pin 16 and ground on Pins 4 and 5.  The USB adapters convert the USB +5 volts to +12 volts.  Current ranges from 2.5 ma at idle to 280 ma while transmitting at full power.  I presume the upper voltage limit is 13.5 - 14 volts, the same as a car's electrical system.  Less than 11.5 VDC will start the shutdown timer to avoid discharging the car's battery.  This can be disabled in the setup menu.

The Mobley has a male ODB II connector to plug into the car's female OIB II socket. It just takes power from the socket, there's no connection to the car's data buss.

Before my ODB II socket power adapter arrived I just used a couple of small female spade terminals on a 12 volt DC wall wart.  One spade fit nicely over the Mobley's male pins 4 and 5, the other I cut in half to fit on pin 16.

If you're interested, there are numerous Mobley threads on the Howard Forums mobile phone board:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/378-Data-Cards

Richard

This is what I used...http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Adapter-for-AT-T-ZTE-Mobley-OBD2-LTE-Wi-Fi-Hotspot-20-unlimited-data/252924247536?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd5ee501f68524907bb4cac4de074b598%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D13%26sd%3D252848130883&_trkparms=pageci%253A43c46569-4431-11e7-9859-74dbd180ccd9%257Cparentrq%253A52b7ea7915c0ac8077b01a44fffd1b62%257Ciid%253A1

I used a USB 5V to 12V converter assembly and an OBD2 female socket to make my own Mobley adapter. Just two solder connections and it was done. Both items were found on eBay with a total cost of $3.85 including shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Meter-DC-5V-to-DC-12V-Step-UP-Module-USB-Converter-Adapter-Cable-2-1x5-5mm-Plug-/122505977568?hash=item1c85ecdee0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262864520851?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The photo shows the Mobley adapter connected to a USB battery pack.

The second photo shows the 120VAC adapter I made from a spare 12-volt wall wart and a free salvage yard OBD2 socket.

Attachments

• 0414171104a.jpg
    0414171104a.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2017-04-18 13.41.31.jpg
    2017-04-18 13.41.31.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Lou, Terry and Dutch. My Mobely is suppose to arrive tomorrow. If I can find my OBD II port on my motor home, I will use that until I get the Mobely hooked up to either the cigarette lighter outlet or a 110 VAC adapter. Thanks again for the information. R

RLSharp said:
Dutch, Our coach is a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 35B built on a 2012 Ford F-53 chassis. R

Ok, then your OBD2 port should be on the right side of the steering column, possibly attached in a relatively easy to reach location if Winnebago followed Ford's body builder instructions. Otherwise, it may still be attached directly to the steering column, but higher up under the dash where it's hard to see. It also has a plastic cap on it that makes it even harder to find. If you can't locate it, try taking a picture up under the dash near the steering column. Post the photo and we may be able to help you spot it. One giveaway is that it has a loop in the excess cable that's provided for relocation. I moved mine out where it's easily accessed.

On edit: This Ford SVE bulletin may help you locate the OBD2 port:

F53/ F59 OBDII Diagnostic Connector Location

I just tried to order - AT&T is out of Mobleys - again. I will keep trying - too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks for all the info on this!

LindaSue said:
I just tried to order - AT&T is out of Mobleys - again. I will keep trying - too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks for all the info on this!

Same here.

kdbgoat said:
Same here.

Hi Guys
I just ordered one right now.  Went through fine, no delays, no hang-ups and I got an order confirmation email.  But shipping date is sometime after June 19, I think is what it indicated.  I did have to resort to using my desktop computer, as the order site worked screwy when I tried to order through use of the Kindle. 

One thing, I'm not an existing ATT mobile customer, so I had to sign up for Connected Car Unlimted (the $20 per month fee) and I purchased outright without the contract.  Maybe new customers have it easier??. . ?? . .??  Linda

Timing could not have been better. Leaving in 2 days on a 6 week trip and today received both the Mobley plus (from eBay) the USB adapter. Latter wasn't supposed to arrive for another week.

Ironically, had to drive away from our house to test as we have no AT&T coverage there. First test came in at 21 Mbps down and 8.5 Mbps up. Ya baby.  8)

Finally got around to ordering a 110V adapter for the Mobley. It shipped almost immediately, and arrives next Monday. Meanwhile, the Mobley has shipped and arrives tomorrow. Like Scott, great timing for our departure next week.

Whoa!  The Mobley ordered yesterday just showed up on my porch!!  Guess they really want that new acct activated.

So a little help please.  Could someone point me to the adapter choices needed to use this in my house and drop cable internet.  I have computer, modem, router, kindle and blue ray.  Where does the Mobley plug in?  Any powered USB port on the computer?

Not ready for this.  Just barely over the worse of a bad asthma attack/infection and not 100% with it yet.  Linda

The Mobley is a wi-fi hotspot.  If you currently have a wi-fi router, it will take it's place, all you have to do is tell your devices to use it instead of the router.

It's designed to plug into the ODB II socket in your car.  A quick search for Mobley on Google, Ebay or Amazon will turn up many entrepreneuers selling power adapters with an ODB II socket on one end and an AC adapter, cigarette lighter plug or a USB plug on the other end.

It just depends on how you want to use your Mobley.  The USB cord is the most flexible but is more expensive by the time you include an AC or cigarette lighter USB phone charger.  It lets you power the Mobley from your laptop's USB port, making it fully portable.  If you're just going to use the Mobley in your RV, the cigarette lighter cord is less cost, as is the 120 volt AC power cord if you're going to use it in your house.

Lou, I've never seen the On Board Diagnostics port called an "OIB" socket. It's always been the OBD(I or II) socket as far as I recall. Has something changed I haven't heard about?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom