AT&T Unlimited 4G LTE for $20 a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Lou.  You covered very well all my options; much appreciated.  All the devices listed are wireless, and I also have a printer that is set to operate wirelessly currently and I think the Mobley could handle that as well.  Won't have a TT for a year yet when the fulltime plan kicks in, so I was looking to use Mobley in my residence if possible for now.  I was kinda playing "the lemming" and following what many of you savvy tech guys are doing by acquiring the Mobley while the plan is available.

It will be interesting to see if my s&b data needs can be met via the Mobley.  ATT has good coverage here in the city, and given the nature of the neighborhood, the demand on towers should not experience severe overload too often it seems to me, but then, I'm waaayyy less than competent in the mobile communications arena.  Again, sincere thanks for everyone's input on this topic.  Linda

Linda, just keep in mind the Mobley's internal router is limited to 5 wireless devices. If you have more than that, there is a workaround using either Wifi or a USB feed from the Mobley to feed an external router but it gets complicated.

Interesting, I am trying to order and would have delivered to a US address but Best Buy does not give option for delivery.
Just option to pick up from store and it seems that no stock anywhere.
Could this be because I am connecting from Canadian location?
Bob

I ordered from the ATT.com site yesterday choosing the "no contract" option. The process went smoothly. The expected delivery was stated as June 20 - 27.

However, this morning I got an email that it has been shipped.  :)

Tom

Hi Bob T

The Mobley requires ATT Connected Car Unlimited Plan which is only available in the U.S. currently. See

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323

I tried to order the other day on the ATT site and it wouldn't take the order ... I declined the optional insurance, don't know if that had anything to do with it though. 

The Mobley arrived today. Not bad for something that wasn't in inventory! Waiting for the AC adapter to arrive Monday.

Dreamsend said:
Hi Bob T

The Mobley requires ATT Connected Car Unlimited Plan which is only available in the U.S. currently. See

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323
Thanks Linda

I understand that, actually, I just spent about 45 minutes in a chat with a senior supervisor on the AT&T chat page. 
Since I would only be using this while travelling in the US, I would be fine getting the Mobley.

Where it might not work like I want it is the throttling after the 22GB mark.  Speed is reduced to 1258Kbps which is alright for basic surfing, basic email but not fast enough for streaming.  We don't tend to stream now so that may not be an issue at all. 

I am assuming that the AT&T towers in populated areas (like most other large carriers) are always busy, so what constitutes congestion?  Would the Mobley always be throttled for the balance of billing period once the 22GB plateau is reached?  I honestly don't know, just asking the question.

Has anyone had it long enough to experience throttling?  Is it slow and for how long.

We've been using an AT&T Homebase since February plus a Mobley for the past month or so, with both subject to deprioritizing at times. While we do sometimes see slow downs during peak usage times in higher density areas, I've never seen our speeds drop below 3-5 Mbps minimum. And then only for fairly short periods of time. Even when we're not subject to deprioritization we sometimes see slower speeds on heavily congested towers, just as we did with our previous costly Verizon 4G/LTE plan.

Keep in mind, the Mobley is subject to "deprioritization", not "throttling", for the balance of the cycle after the full speed 22MB is used. But keep in mind, that's not a full time reduction, just something that can occur during excessively busy periods, with a return to normal speeds when the congestion clears up. I think you'll find that AT&T's towers are not as busy as you might think even in larger cities. And in testing, I haven't had any problems streaming video content using our 1-3 Mbps Verizon 3G service, so that 1258Kbps (1.258 Mbps) may not be as much of a problem as you think it will for the short times it occurs.

And Dutch compared to VZW who throttled my Jetpack to 600K (Which they call 3G!) at 10GB until the next billing cycle it is a real deal.

I've had my Mobley for about a month and decided to try using it over my wired home network. I just happen to have a few Linksys WRT54g routers with DD-WRT software installed. So off to the Internet I went to see how to setup a wireless bridge. Low and behold, it works. I had been using a Google 5mbs introductory offer for home internet. Now I have approx. 17 mbs AT&T Internet at home.  ;Ds:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/

But wait! There's more. "You get 2 for only twice the price"  8)

While sitting up the bridge, I got thinking, why not defeat the 5 device limit and share the internet when out in the MH. So off to the Internet again to see how to set up a repeater. For those unfamiliar with the WRT54G router, it has a 12 volt wall wart. So it can be powered by the MHs 12 volt system. After making a few "fat finger" mistakes, I got the repeater working also. One caveat to using a wireless repeater is the reduction in speed by about ?. I do have the WRT54G set up with an outside antenna and the router power turned up from 23mW to 71mW.
If you're out camping and see "95bounder" as a SSID, come knock on my door and I'll share the internet with you, at ? speed. ;)
http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range-boosting-wi-fi-repeater

Jeff said:
And Dutch compared to VZW who throttled my Jetpack to 600K (Which they call 3G!) at 10GB until the next billing cycle it is a real deal.

It sure is, Jeff! Even if AT&T did slow me down for an hour or two now and then, I'd still be a happy camper at $20/month... ;)

The only place I encountered throttling was at The Palace Station hotel in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago.  Just west of I-15 at Sahara Ave.  I was there mid-week and the speed slowed down during commute times (go figure).

Even so, I was getting 1.5 - 2 Mbps, fast enough to watch SD streaming video.  And it went back up to 10 Mbps later that evening.  Maximum download speed I've seen is 24 Mbps in the little town of Brawley, CA.

I am bummed.  I ordered mine on the 27th and it was to be shipped by the 19th.  I now see an email from AT&T saying they cancelled it because they can't verify my identity.  I tried to reorder today without any luck.

Yep, that's really a bummer, Jim. When I ordered mine, I got a notice to call them. I had to answer a series of questions based on info in my credit report to prove it was really me. I passed the test ok, but I was a little surprised at the requirement since I was adding the Mobley to my existing Homebase account.

Lou Schneider said:
The only place I encountered throttling was at The Palace Station hotel in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago.  Just west of I-15 at Sahara Ave.  I was there mid-week and the speed slowed down during commute times (go figure).

Even so, I was getting 1.5 - 2 Mbps, fast enough to watch SD streaming video.  And it went back up to 10 Mbps later that evening.  Maximum download speed I've seen is 24 Mbps in the little town of Brawley, CA.

Mid 20's is what we typically see, Lou, with forays into the 30's at times. I have seen low 40's a couple of times though, when we were really close to a tower at quiet times.

I also had an order cancelled because they couln't vetify my ID. ATT had done 3 hard credit checks but I got it ordered by going in to an ATT store. That was Friday and it is due Tuesday.

Got mine up and running last evening. Works like a charm.
Mid-20s are common.

A security suggestion for those not used to setting up home networks. Once connected to the Mobley:
1. Log into the administrator app http://192.168.1.1 using the default id "attadmin"
2. Go to "Settings" --> "Main Wi-Fi Network" and change the network ssid and password to something not meaningful or personally identifiable. This will cause the Mobley to reset and come up with the new ssid and will require the new password, which will kick you off, so be sure you've written down your new ssid and password so you can log in again.
3. Log into the administrator app again using the default id "attadmin" then go to "Settings" --> "Advanved" --> "Administrator" and change the admin password to something other than "attadmin", preferably something not meaningful or personally identifiable, and again be sure you've written the new admin password down first.
This will provide decent, minimal security against unwanted users logging into your network.

To prevent a network dropout every 30 minutes,  Log into the administrator app again (using your new admin password), go to "Settings" --> Advanced" --> "Power Save" and change the drop-down selection to "No Time Out".

Good advice, Paul... I'll just add that if you don't see the "No Time Out" choice in the drop down menu, you may need to wait until your Mobley updates to the latest version 1.0.1 software. It usually only takes a day or so, depending on how active you keep the device. Mobley's received directly from AT&T should arrive with the correct version already installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom