AT&T Unlimited 4G LTE for $20 a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
Scott, as of right now the AT&T web site is letting you pre-order the Mobley and, more importantly, sign up for the $20 per month plan.  Apparently AT&T is scrambling to meet the demand and has another batch of the Mobley devices on the way.

https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323

Yesterday the web page was aborting with an "out of stock" message after you selected the Mobley, now you can proceed all the way to checkout.  A definite improvement.

Get them while they're hot!

Thanks for the update. How quickly things change, obviously the info I received was completely wrong. Just placed my order, just doesn't seem like you can go wrong with unlimited 4G for $20/mo. Shame we don't have AT&T service at the sticks house or I could cancel the cable which we use only for internet. Would be a nice savings.

Bummed I won't have it for our trip leaving on the 1st - will have to make do with 3G off our Verizon mifi

Your vehicle has to be "on" -- in at least accessory mode for the Mobley to be active according to ATT site.  So if you have a truck and trailer, and want internet at midnight for example, don't you need to go turn the truck on?  Seems like this would be great for Class A etc., but not so much for trailer set up.

What am I missing cause this device/plan is sure attractive?  Linda

All the Mobley needs is a source of 12 volt power.  Ebay and Amazon have numerous AC, 12 volt and USB custom adapters available.  It's become a regular cottage industry.

With these you can use the Mobley anywhere.  Mine lives in my trailer using a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter and draws very little power.  Another option is to get the USB power cord and run it from a USB phone charger plug-in cube, a USB port on a computer or a USB pocket battery like you'd use to charge a cell phone.

Thank you Lou.  Seems simple enough.  I think I need one of these for later.  But before I leap, could someone help me understand some basics.  Being all wired up in S&B, the mobile side of Wi-Fi is still confusing to me so.. . . .
1.  Can I use the Mobley even though I don't have any other ATT mobile acct.?

2.  My main communication will be Verizon, at whatever their main plan offering will be a year from now.  Likely 22GB with 10 GB hotspot as it is now.  If I add a Mobley, do I end up with 2 networks -- only connecting to one or the other at a time?

3.  I need internet access for a computer, a Kindle, and possibly my Blue ray DVD player for streaming on the big TV screen.  I could use Chrome cast for streaming I guess.  So how does all this relate to use of my phone (with data and hotspot capability) and the Mobley?  How does it all come together?  Are all of my wireless devices on one network and active all the time?  Is the data usage per connected device if so?  i.e., if I access say 1 GB of Netflix on my computer and stream it through the Blue ray, is another 1GB charged due to the Blue ray usage?

Hate to be so dumb, but . . .mobile com is the last mystery I need to solve.  TIA Linda

The Mobley only supports 5 total devices. That number can be split between primary and guest connections, but the total is still 5. The only way to use it for more devices is to connect a router to it, either one of the few that can use the USB connection, or one of the routers with "WiFi as LAN" capability.

Dreamsend said:
Your vehicle has to be "on" -- in at least accessory mode for the Mobley to be active according to ATT site.  So if you have a truck and trailer, and want internet at midnight for example, don't you need to go turn the truck on?  Seems like this would be great for Class A etc., but not so much for trailer set up.

What am I missing cause this device/plan is sure attractive?  Linda

Most vehicles have live power at the OBD2 connector all the time. That's why the Mobley has several timed power down settings that can be selected to ensure it doesn't run the battery down after the vehicle is shut off.

Ernie n Tara said:
1 yes good deal!

2 you have two hot spots
yes, I know that.  But what does that mean?  Let me show how how unfamiliar I am so I can hopefully get a clear explanation.  To me, the hotspot is like my wired modem and router.  Modum connects via cable (DSL) to the Internet and then sends data via WIFI to whatever device I want to use, i.e. computer, kindle, etc. I see it as the hotspot does the same thing but without the initial cable into the modem - it's all wireless.  I will have 4 total wireless devices (or 5 with a Mobley), so the number of devices is not of concern to me.  Is this a correct understanding?  And if so, I need to understand how to manage the two hotspots.  So, wouldn't this be like having two networks, as I don't want WIFI running on the Verizon phone and on the Mobley at the same time.

Do I simply turn-off WIFI on one of the hotspots?  Is it that simple?  And, can anyone confirm that you don't get charged double data for using your phone or Mobley as a hotspot and then accessing the data via another device, such as the computer?  I ask because, I have read that double data charges happen due to the fact that the mobile providers want you to use the MOBILE device exclusively for content and not stream (?) to another device.  Maybe this is old policy, but I'm asking anyway. 

Smartphone (with hotspot)  Which I've been using for just a month now.  Never needed one before.
Mobley (hotspot)
Computer
Kindle (a mobile device)
Blueray/DVD

All I want to do is have internet access on the computer, the Kindle, and get Netflix/Amazon via the Blueray which could be HDMI to the TV.  If I get or have a Smart TV, then I probably don't need the Blueray, but I don't understand the ins/outs of how to get the content I want to the TV, but that is the next set of questions.  Do I have to have a Chromecast or similar to do it wirelessly?

Lou Schneider said:
Get them while they're hot!

Lou, thanks again for the heads up. What a ride, this went from they're available, to they're backordered, to they may never be available to you can pre-order to.... I placed my order yesterday and it has shipped with an ETA 2 days before we leave on our trip!  :)

I'm exhausted!

Jomo said:
I was told by AT & T yesterday that they are discontinued.

Yup, I was told by AT&T that it was a rumor they were discontinued. Apparently the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing  ::)

Jomo said:
Does the motor home actually have to be turned on even if you have it hooked up to a 12 volt adapter?

No. These were envisioned as something you would plug into your car and leave, creating a "connected car" cell hotspot. All it uses the OBD plug for is power. With a USB adapter not only does the motorhome not have to be on, you don't even need a motorhome.

Some OnStar vehicles provide a mobile hotspot on their own, if yours doesn't getting a "third party device" like the Mobley to provide the hotspot is the other option.

In other words, no.

Go to the AT&T Mobley web page I linked to above.  AT&T seems to have trouble keeping all of their representatives up to speed on the Connected Car Unlimited plan.

Dreamsend said:
yes, I know that.  But what does that mean?  Let me show how how unfamiliar I am so I can hopefully get a clear explanation.  To me, the hotspot is like my wired modem and router.  Modum connects via cable (DSL) to the Internet and then sends data via WIFI to whatever device I want to use, i.e. computer, kindle, etc. I see it as the hotspot does the same thing but without the initial cable into the modem - it's all wireless.  I will have 4 total wireless devices (or 5 with a Mobley), so the number of devices is not of concern to me.  Is this a correct understanding?  And if so, I need to understand how to manage the two hotspots.  So, wouldn't this be like having two networks, as I don't want WIFI running on the Verizon phone and on the Mobley at the same time.

Do I simply turn-off WIFI on one of the hotspots?  Is it that simple?

Yup.  Turn one off while the other is on.  You'll have to set the devices to use the Mobley's hotspot, just like you did when you set up your phone's hotspot.

The difference is the ethernet cable delivers one network at a time to your computer, while a WiFi connection often sees several different networks (hotspots) at once.  You have to tell the device which hotspot to use so it can ignore the rest.

And, can anyone confirm that you don't get charged double data for using your phone or Mobley as a hotspot and then accessing the data via another device, such as the computer?  I ask because, I have read that double data charges happen due to the fact that the mobile providers want you to use the MOBILE device exclusively for content and not stream (?) to another device.

Nope, you won't be charged extra.  That's exactly what the Mobley is designed to do - stream data to another device.  Besides, the Connected Car Unlimited plan is truly unlimited data with no extra charges, just the possibility of being "de-prioritized" (not throttled) after 22GB if there's network congestion, i.e. you'll be the first to be slowed down if there are too many people trying to use the cell tower.  Then the speed will come back up once the demand eases.

Phone hotspots charge extra because the phone's data plan isn't really "unlimited" ... the phone company just knows you won't use very much data on the phone itself, so there's no need for them to set an arbitrary limit.

But using the hotspot is a whole different deal ... computers and DVD players use a whole bunch more data than the phone, so they limit how much data you can use through the hotpot.

Ordered my Mobley this afternoon, although it took three tries to get the order accepted. It's currently showing a ship date between June 16-23, 2017.

Tom said:
Ordered my Mobley this afternoon, although it took three tries to get the order accepted. It's currently showing a ship date between June 16-23, 2017.

It only took me 2 tries. Although I had to re-enter my date of birth several times to get it to "take".

Back
Top Bottom