AT&T Unlimited 4G LTE for $20 a month

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff, I took your advice and went to the store today.  They were able to get it ordered for me and I got a text this afternoon saying that it was already shipped! 

So far I love mine but I have found one irritating thing: every so often it just shuts off (especially if it's not being used but sometimes when I am). Lights go out just like it was unplugged. (I have an OBD to USB adapter that I use.)

Unplug it, plug it back in, and everything is fine, for awhile.  ???

I received my Mobley last week and tried it out over the weekend of camping.
Mine shipped with the 1.0.1 firmware so didn't need to update.

However, it took me some time to find the timeout menu. You have to be on the PC version, not the mobile version of the website that loaded on my iPad.

So far so good.

Tom

Good explanation by PopPop51.

Interestingly, my AC adapter came with some detailed instructions (2 pages) for admin on the Mobley, and the author claimed no credit; He gave full attribution to an FAQ post by Mexican-bum on Howard forums.

Heli_av8tor said:
However, it took me some time to find the timeout menu. You have to be on the PC version, not the mobile version of the website that loaded on my iPad.

Bingo! Thank you. I had not bothered to go in to the online setup menu. Sure enough, it was set by default to timeout.

Hi All

I think I have the my Mobley network set-up in my S&B.  Using a USB adapter, I have it powered through my desktop.  Have connected the desktop and the Kindle wireless so far.  It says my signal strength is -98 to -100 dBm.  Is that gonna work?  Going to try connecting the printer and the Blue Ray now. 

I left the original password and network name the same as supplied, but will go back and change them once I think all is connected.
Linda

Jeff said:
I also had an order cancelled because they couln't vetify my ID. ATT had done 3 hard credit checks but I got it ordered by going in to an ATT store. That was Friday and it is due Tuesday.

I was concerned about using my Americas Mailbox address, but I had no issues and I received my Mobley yesterday in my forwarded mail. Up and running. Speedtest here in Port Townsend, WA was  26 down and 5 up. A little better than Verizon.

Dreamsend said:
Hi All

I think I have the my Mobley network set-up in my S&B.  Using a USB adapter, I have it powered through my desktop.  Have connected the desktop and the Kindle wireless so far.  It says my signal strength is -98 to -100 dBm.  Is that gonna work?  Going to try connecting the printer and the Blue Ray now. 

I left the original password and network name the same as supplied, but will go back and change them once I think all is connected.
Linda

Your -98 to -100dBm signal strength is fine, Linda. My Mobley is sitting at -100dBm right now, and I'm seeing speeds in the mid to upper 20-30Mbps range.

Ernie n Tara said:
What exactly is involved in the program you must belong to for this? AT&T phones or?

Nothing required. The "Connected Car" Mobley is the only AT&T service I have

I had a fairly strenuous argument with AT&T sales person yesterday who asserted they simply would NOT sell me one unless I belonged to their club, and I'm already a customer with a hot spot on their system. I strongly asserted that most of the people I knew had one were Verizon customers. Didn't help!

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
What exactly is involved in the program you must belong to for this? AT&T phones or?

Tx,

Ernie

No special requirements.  You simply sign up for the mobile plan called "connected car plan" -- that's the 20$ monthly fee for service. In that sense, it's just another mobile phone service.  You purchase the Mobley plug in outright or pay for it monthly under contract.  It's been simple enough that even I could handle it!!!!

I streamed Netflix all afternoon/evening yesterday without any trouble.  Streaming right now too.  Speed tests are ~ 12 down and 8 up.  Not great but typical even using wired internet at house.

More details at ATT Mobley web page.  Easy info and very straightforward.

Just read your other post.  Go to the Mobley internet site and sign up.  There is no club.  Make sure you and rep are talking apples to apples if you speak again. -- At&t Connected Car Plan is all you want. 

Scott is correct, there's no requirement to have any other AT&T service to get a Mobley and the $20 Connected Car unlimited plan. As it happens, I did have a pre-existing AT&T Homebase rural service plan, but that never even came up until after I received the Mobley from AT&T and had it activated.

I ended up with a $25.00 "setup fee" because I didn't have an accout and went into the local AT&T store to activate the unlocked version I bought before returninng it and getting one from AT&T.

What I have learned is that  almost all AT&T sales people know nothing about this program!

I am learning that if you want to find anyone who knows anything about Moberly ask for the Connected Car Support Group.

Question.  I've been using the Mobley with a USB adapter plugged into  port on my desktop -- there are 3-4 empty USB ports to use for this.  What I find is that I have to leave the desktop powered on to power the Mobley.  I thought the USB ports would stay powered even if the computer is off -  am I incorrect about this?  Or could it be that only some ports will stay powered?  I don't like leaving the desktop powered on constantly and don't want to have to do this to use the hotspot.

Can I use a USB to AC wall adapter plug to get power to the Mobley?  Hope I don't have to get a totally different adapter cable!

BTW -- cancelled my wired internet service for a net savings of $35/mo here in the S&B.  Should've been more savings but of course now I pay more for just cable TV because I'm not bundled anymore.  TIA. Linda

Dreamsend said:
I thought the USB ports would stay powered even if the computer is off -  am I incorrect about this?  Or could it be that only some ports will stay powered?

Can I use a USB to AC wall adapter plug to get power to the Mobley?

Some computers the USB stays hot, some not.

You can use the Mobley with any USB plug. Right now mine is plugged in to a cigarette lighter adapter, earlier it was plugged in to a 120V wall USB adapter.

Thank you Scott.  I'll pick up a 120v wall plug for the USB while out for errands today.

Make sure that the USB port you're using is providing enough power.
It's not just a matter of USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1. When it comes to power delivery the USB specs provide for three different types of port: A "standard downstream" port, a "charging downstream" port, and a "dedicated charging" port, each with different max-amperage specifications. And to make it even more confusing, some adapters provide more amperage than the specs call for. 
See this article for details: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone
I've had issues trying to run the Mobley on a cheap 120V USB 2.0 adapter, but no problems with the wall wart that comes with a Kindle Fire or my Surface Book's USB 3.0 ports.

I'm in Wrangell,AK. Both Verizon and AT&T have only 3G coverage, but Verizon speed test showed 1.0MB down, while AT&T was 3.96.
For most things I do I see no delays with AT&T.

ken

Back
Top Bottom