Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Another Basement Heatpump problem  (Read 828 times)

tugboat

• ---
Another Basement Heatpump problem
« on: April 04, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
We have a 05 Meridian with Colman Heat pump and air it will not run in heat setting on thermostat. It runs in Air mode but not on heat.
when turned on at thermostat heat pump will try to start but clicks off at thermostat it runs for maybe 3-5 sec.
thanks for any suggestions. 
05 Meridian 36G
2016 Canyon 4X4 All Terrain
All Roadmaster Tow ready
Happy Trails

John Hilley

• ---
Re: Another Basement Heatpump problem
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 04:03:26 PM »
What is the differential between room ambient temperature and thermostat set temperature. If more that 3 degrees F it will revert to propane furnace. Try setting the thermostat to 2 degrees above ambient temperature.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »
Does it work okay in cooling mode?
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

tugboat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »
No problem in cooling mode only with heat pump 
05 Meridian 36G
All Roadmaster Tow ready
Happy Trails

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:39:49 PM »
What is the differential between room ambient temperature and thermostat set temperature. If more that 3 degrees F it will revert to propane furnace. Try setting the thermostat to 2 degrees above ambient temperature.
X2
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:33:53 AM »
No problem in cooling mode only with heat pump
That's a good sign, your compressors are okay.  There could be a problem with the reversing valve, control board or thermostat. To rule out the thermostat, use my truth table to see if 12V going to W1 (white/black wire) when electric heat is called.

You are probably aware the thermostat is somewhat smart (barely) and if the set temperature and ambient temperature is equal to or greater than five degrees, gas heat will be called. Then the thermostat will periodically attempt to call for electric heat and then finally give up on electric.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

tugboat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:22:03 AM »
Thanks John I checked your write up on changing the Thermostat but means that I'm electrically challenged made appointment to have it checked out. I will post update after repair. Thanks to all. 
05 Meridian 36G
All Roadmaster Tow ready
Happy Trails

tugboat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
Well took MH to Valley RV in Longview WA.low and behold Heatpump decided to start working again lol.
Tom at Valley pulled Thermostat and checked it out found no problem put back and it works lucky me.
I would highly recommend Valley RV
05 Meridian 36G
All Roadmaster Tow ready
Happy Trails

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:23:08 AM »
Oh boy, I hate intermittent problems. I had an sporadic problem with my heat pump when it wouldn't cool after a long day on the road, this started when the coach was new. Everything that could have been replaced (thermostat, control board) was replaced with no resolution. Finally RVP replaced the entire unit which cured the problem. This only took two years  ::) .
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Ray,IN

• ---
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis.  USA 1SG, retired, Good Sam Life member.
The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 07:07:17 AM »
Thanks for the links Ray, I'll link to your post in our Winnebago and chassis resources thread.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Ray,IN

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 09:03:37 PM »
 You're welcome John, I bookmarked every thread I've came across and every link in those threads. Hopefully when my basement unit stops working(we know it's gonna happen), something within those links will guide me through the repair process or point me to where to buy a replacement.
The only thing I don't have linked is the height of the platform required to support the unit when it is removed from the MH, and that must be measured with air dumped; that might be different for each MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis.  USA 1SG, retired, Good Sam Life member.
The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 06:54:15 AM »
Forgot to add the link to our Resources thread, but I just got 'er done. If you need to add anything to your post, let me know and I'll edit it for you.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Hosted by Over The Network