Corner moulding options replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BikerFlex&HappyJen

Has anyone replaced an outside corner aluminum moulding with a different type and wider corner moulding?  For example, plastic, metal, or other.  Or, if someone is familiar with a wider replacement aluminium corner moulding currently available.

"Why?" you ask.   

Repairing a 99' Dutchman because it experienced a water-leak.  The damage includes the interior floor and walls.  We suspect that an ill-maintained corner moulding or wrong type of sealant contributed to the water leak.  The undulating aluminum siding design didn't help.  We removed the outside corner moulding and aluminum siding that gave access to the damaged wall studding and floor.  After repairs, we replaced the siding, applied new butyl tape, and replaced the corner moulding.  So, our interest in replacing the existing outside corner aluminum moulding with a much wider corner moulding may help deter water away from this critical meet point.

Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Flex

Look up  'seal tite' corner seal tape,  Mark Polk has a video on it.
I used it on a front rebuild on my travel trailer and I thought it was a really good product.
Regards,
Kathy G :D

I recently have replaced the corner piece on my slideout. It was damaged when I bought the TT from auction. General RV looked up the schematics and could sell me one, but I talked the guy into taking me into the backroom and showing me his scrap pile. They had all kinds of trim pieces, moldings carpet, siding etc. I grabbed a piece of the wide corner molding and a few other things and gave them 100.00 and I was thrilled. They can order whatever you like, the guy that I talked to is in "special orders" he deals with the odds and ends ordering on all these TT's and 5vrs. If I couldnt get that piece I was going t have a buddy bend a piece on a brake. I could buy heavier thickness metal trim and have him bend it to the width I need. Most siding places like Siding World could do this for you also.

Composet Products offers many good sealants and repair products that are designed to fix water damage.

Triple Slide Jayco said:
I recently have replaced the corner piece on my slideout. It was damaged when I bought the TT from auction. General RV looked up the schematics and could sell me one, but I talked the guy into taking me into the backroom and showing me his scrap pile. They had all kinds of trim pieces, moldings carpet, siding etc. I grabbed a piece of the wide corner molding and a few other things and gave them 100.00 and I was thrilled. They can order whatever you like, the guy that I talked to is in "special orders" he deals with the odds and ends ordering on all these TT's and 5vrs. If I couldnt get that piece I was going t have a buddy bend a piece on a brake. I could buy heavier thickness metal trim and have him bend it to the width I need. Most siding places like Siding World could do this for you also.

Great idea on seeking ways to resolve a bad condition.  Good work.  I didn't think about looking through the parts pile at the Rv center.  I've have walked back into the our Rv service department and seen used parts.  I've never thought about asking for, or, offering to purchasing them.  "Siding World" is a good suggestion.  I'll give them a go.

Your suggestions help me.  Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Flex

BikerFlex&HappyJen said:
Great idea on seeking ways to resolve a bad condition.  Good work.  I didn't think about looking through the parts pile at the RV center.  I've have walked back into the our RV service department and seen used parts.  I've never thought about asking for, or, offering to purchasing them.  "Siding World" is a good suggestion.  I'll give them a go.

Your suggestions help me.  Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Flex

No problem, I commented here before about the pile of stuff they had at General RV, a treasure trove, if you need the stuff. I was really surprised as well when I needed to order the aluminum siding thru them and from Jayco. It was cheap. about 25 bux per 8 footer. The rest of the odds and ends I needed I got from eBay and amazon. 

travelman said:
Composet Products offers many good sealants and repair products that are designed to fix water damage.

I'll give them a call and see what suggestions Compost Products may have.  Thanks

Flex

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom