Michigan to Sarasota Florida, but not I-75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BikerFlex&HappyJen

Our interest is traveling with our fifth wheel to Sarasota Fl, from Michigan.  However, we want to avoid I-75 and avoid Atlanta.  Some suggest that I-65 would be a good route to Sarasota, but it veers too far West of Montgomery, Alabama.

Any suggestions that avoids I-75; especially avoids Atlanta

Thank you. 

We leave from Holland, MI and take 31 south and pick up I 65 in Indianapolis, then I 65 south to Montgomery.  From there we take 231 south east until we hit I 10.  231 will take you through a few small / medium cities, but the route is primarily four lane divided highway with grade level intersections. Speed limit is mostly 65, so no trouble maintaining speed.  If you are starting from further east in Michigan, I 69 will get you to Indianapolis.

There is no comparison to the I 75 traffic.  If you can avoid Indianapolis, Nashville and Louisville at rush hour you will be all set.

Things to consider along that route
-Kentucky allows overnight stays in rest areas.
-Oak Mountain State Park near Birmingham, Alabama is a huge facility and we have always found pull through sites for our one night stays. Don't even need to unhook the toad.

I go the same way to Montgomery and then take US 82 to Tifton and then I 75 the rest of the way. I also try to avoid Atlanta.

This makes the trip about 50 miles longer than through Atlanta.

judway said:
I go the same way to Montgomery and then take US 82 to Tifton and then I 75 the rest of the way. I also try to avoid Atlanta.

This makes the trip about 50 miles longer than through Atlanta.

I-65 is not bad. Nashville can be a bit of fun.
And from Montgomery, there are several decent options.
1. Take US-231 to Panama City, and then US-98 South to Homassa area.
2. Take US-80 to Columbus, and US-27 South and at Perry, follow US-19 and 98
3. US-82 to Albany, GA and follow US-19 south.

These are all decent roads with nicer scenery and moderate to light traffic.

We just did the I65 down to just north of Nashville and got on 231 and took it south most of the rest of the way.. It was a very easy nice drive.
231 as the others have said is mostly 4 lane, and if you cruise right, the few small towns you go thru, you can maintain speed thru the timed lights..
And 231 is much more scenic than the boring interstate HWY....
Bob

As a native Atlantan, I'm always surprised that folks will go way out of their way to avoid the city.  Yes, Atlanta traffic is notoriously bad, but if just passing through, stick to I-285 and time your travel to avoid rush hour.  Sundays are usually fairly tame as well.  For our first outing in our first RV (28' TT Dutchman Kodiak) I ended up in 5:00 traffic on a Friday afternoon (long story, and couldn't be avoided).  I was a newbie at towing and nervous as all get out, but it actually wasn't all that bad.  Not that I would ever intentionally do that again! 

I completely understand your desire to avoid Atlanta.  This is the route that we take from NC to the Gulf coast.  We have found that traffic is not an issue when going thru Atlanta either early on Saturday morning or any time on Sunday .  The roads are in VG condition compared to the other options (especially I-95).  Just something to consider.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom