faulty anti siphon devices, (also called vacuum breaker)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

Has anyone repaired a faulty anti siphon devices, (also called vacuum breaker) that are installed in the tank flush line? It is in the wall behind the toilet.  We are discussing a 2007 Journey SE 37'.  There is no access panel. Looks like I will have to make one. (Unless I'm missing something).  The leak is coming from behind the toilet (in the wall) I hooked up the hose to the flush line (black tank) water was pouring down from the chassis, and the bathroom floor soaked. 

Hoping for ideas, or suggestions. 

Jim

Mine is located under the galley sink. The check valve plugged up and we had a leak, bought a replacement on Amazon. I hate working on plumbing and really hate working on RV plumbing.  Call Winnebago Owner Relations before you cut any access panels.

You don't have to make the anti-siphon, but you may have to make access to it.

How about a call to Winnebago Customer Service to ask about getting at it. Sometimes they can be quite helpful (but not always).

If you have to cut the interior panel, finish the edges nicely with wood trim (or whatever you like) and make it a decor feature.  ;)  Seriously. High end coaches have nicely disguised removable panels for that sort of thing, e.g. a wall cabinet that can be removed, an inset door, that sort of thing. 

It would be odd not to have access to that valve.  It's not always obvious, but should be there.  Those actually fail quite a bit.

There are lots of threads on the forums of the valve being up inside an interior wall with no easy access to it. Some people just bypass them and add an anti siphon valve on the water inlet.

muskoka guy said:
There are lots of threads on the forums of the valve being up inside an interior wall with no easy access to it. Some people just bypass them and add an anti siphon valve on the water inlet.
OK - sorry for them. 

Called out to Forest City, they will fix it, panel has to be removed. Will stop in end of July. Inquired about replacing decals, cheaper to paint.  Will probably have that done also.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim

Tin man said:
.... Will stop in end of July. ..
They are going to be super busy then with GNR holdovers, you would be better off waiting three or four weeks. Call CDI in Forest City and ask Dave for a quote on paint (they do all full-body paint for Winnebago.)

They don't take service appointments two or three weeks before the GNR and maybe afterwards. I'll also bet they are booked up well into September for service appointments. You can of course just show up and put your name on a list but not more than seven items to be fixed.

John

Update on the leak..I was able to remove the panel next to dinet,  the siphon device was right there. Amazon delivered the new part overnight, and leak fixed. Back in business can clean out the black water tank again.

Remove the molding and you will be able to get to the luan panel. Be careful removing so as not to damage the wall panel.  I bent the staples over and tacked new nails to replace the panel.

Jim

Repaired it this winter in Florida

Tin man said:
John

Update on the leak..I was able to remove the panel next to dinet,  the siphon device was right there. Amazon delivered the new part overnight, and leak fixed. Back in business can clean out the black water tank again.

Remove the molding and you will be able to get to the luan panel. Be careful removing so as not to damage the wall panel.  I bent the staples over and tacked new nails to replace the panel.

Jim

Repaired it this winter in Florida

Was the back flow preventer black and is a 90 degree fitting. I don't remember the manufacturers name but it's on the side. If it's the one I had, get their number off the internet and call them. Tell them the stem was leaking. They'll replace it free of charge. They did it twice with me so far. They are junk. 

Update: is this the one?  https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-571-Vac-Chk-Flusher-Breaker/dp/B0095TD5S6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1530890249&sr=8-7&keywords=rv+backflow+preventer

It was brass, new one was less than $10.00. Kept it will have to look when we get back. On our way to Alaska plane bus boat.  Too tired to drive.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom