Ford Diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accordionman

Talking with a guy today who is pulling with a 2015, F 250 with a 6.7, B20 Diesel telling me to stay away from Ford Diesels prior to '015 ? Any truth to that ? I'm looking for '015 or newer, but not for that reason. He says that they are un reliable prior to 2015.  Just curious.

Ed

There are many bad reports on older Ford diesel. I don't think that is the case any more. The 2017 are on recall.

We had an 06 f250 with the 6 litre. Nothing but headaches from brand new. Fuel in the oil twice in the first year.Traded it back in and bought something different.

I have a 2013 6.7 diesel F-250 and have about 55,000 miles on it (bought it new) and have had absolutely no issues with the engine.  It pulls a 9,000 lb TT with ease and again no problems.
Jack

accordionman said:
Talking with a guy today who is pulling with a 2015, F 250 with a 6.7, B20 Diesel telling me to stay away from Ford Diesels prior to '015 ? Any truth to that ? I'm looking for '015 or newer, but not for that reason. He says that they are un reliable prior to 2015.  Just curious.

Ed

You need to associate with people of higher intelligence.

2011 F250 with the 6.7 Diesel (first year for that motor) and about 53K miles on it.  Zero issues so far.  There were a few minor things that I consider growing pains on a new motor.....a couple of transmission ECU reflashes to perfect the shifting (transmission was brand new that year too), but the motor has been solid and pulls extremely well.

I had an 06, 6.0 F-350 SRW and sold it at 150,000 miles. Never even changed a lightbulb on that truck.
Ford diesels normally don't have a reputation as being unreliable.

Operators seem to have a lot to do with reliablilty?.  Since my wife and I haven't had great luck with the used vehicles we have bought, we buy new now and run them forever with very little problems.  You could give my FIL a brick and he would come back and need a new transmission.

You need to associate with people of higher intelligence.

That may very well be the case ! LOL! This particular individual was also touting the "good sam" club as being a great deal. Now I don't know too much about anything at this point, but I haven't heard much good about our friend "sam".

Anyway, thanks for the input, Guys ! I'm going to a dealer tomorrow who has a 2016 Lariat, Diesel with 49K miles that I have my eye on and may own it by the weekend.

Ed

Good choice.  I have seen some left over 2016's for a good price, you might be able to get a new one for not much more money.

I have a 2009 CCLB F350 with 200k+ miles on it.  Towed my family and heavy trailer all over CO last year and over many 10,000+ passes.  It needs either a new DPF filter now or a delete but let's face it, it's been ridden hard and put away wet.  I can't complain.  Very capable truck so far.

The 6.0 is the least reliable diesel ford installed in their trucks.  My dad used to work for the international dealer in Tulsa and they kept two bays open just for the 6.0 and it was a constant stream of them getting repaired, with a lot of the repairs requiring the cab be removed.  The ambulance company I worked for had a half dozen of them in their fleet, 3 of them were trouble free the other 3 were lemons.  It seemed once they had a problem it would come back again and again.  Myself I wouldn't own one unless it was really cheap, and they do seem to be cheaper than a good running 7.3.

I knew the 04's were the problem child of the 6.0's when they first came out. My 06 was a gem and very reliable. Might be one of those things where you were either lucky, or not. I had a 03 Dodge and it was nothing but trouble (except for the Cummins engine), yet others have great experiences with theirs. I supposed opinions are based on personal life experience, which is a very small sample point in the scheme of things. I still think really highly of Ford trucks.

From what i've seen the 6.0 was the worst, I think Ford and Navistar were fighting in court about warranty costs.
I'm on my second 6.7l ran 100,000 on the first and had a few small issues under warranty but it was the first year. The egr was giving messages when i traded it on a 2015 which is a gen 2 engine they increased Hp to 440 and 865 lbf.
Mostly they are trouble free. 

grashley said:
I know of no issues with the 6.7 diesel.  I have one.

There are plenty...

Cracked valves, turbo issues, radiator issues, bad sensors causing full engine shutdowns, glow plugs detaching causing complete engine destruction.  Here's some light reading: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f149/

As someone that owned Ford trucks for years, I can tell you that the 7.3 liter offered from 1999-2003 was by far the most reliable.

The 6.0 offered from 2003.5-2009 was an absolute failure which resulted in a lawsuit between Ford and International leading to Ford building their own engines.

The 6.4 was notorious for poor fuel mileage and mainly for it's incredibly poor radiator design which has led to countless failures.

The 6.7 has been ok and seems to be getting better. Now that they have seemingly fixed the cracking exhaust valve problem, the weak link is the fuel system. They tend to be very finicky and Ford has been notorious for finding ways out of the warranty leaving customers with a $10,000-12,000 bill for its replacement.

The past 13 years of issues have caused a lot of us to look at other manufacturers. When it came time to replace my 2002 Ford F-350, I had no choice but to look at the Ram and it's venerable Cummins engine.

Ford 6.0L and 6.4L diesels were not really desirable.  Early 6.7Ls had lift pump issues that Ford would not take care of under warrenty, while GM using the same pulp were taking care of their customers when they failed.  Not sure if or when Ford finally reaolved the issue.  Others will soon chime in.

Ford fixed the exhaust valve issue on those built after 3/29/2011.  Most of those failures were in trucks other than pickups.  The lift pump is not an issue, but there have been some high pressure fuel pump failures usually from contaminated fuel.  Your insurance should cover failures from bad fuel.  Some other diesels used the same Bosch pump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom