Trailers (not 5th wheels) that include a washer/dryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

702Rubi

I'm considering getting an RV to be a full-timer in. (Some of you may notice I've asked a few questions around here already LOL)

For various reasons I'm leaning toward getting a trailer towed by a pickup truck, but not a fifth wheeler. I would love to have a washer dryer.  I'm quite happy with a stackable arrangement because I've used those before in apartments and they work just fine for me.

My actual question is: how many travel trailers (not Park models or 5th wheelers) are actually sold with such washer dryer combos already installed?  I think I would prefer something like the Kenmore stackable arrangement, rather than the single unit W/D some RVs have. 

To be clear I'm thinking about either a brand new trailer coming from the factory/dealer with the washer dryer already installed. Or a late model used trailer that originally came with the washer dryer already installed.

To get a TT with a WD prep, or room for one will require a really really long trailer.  To safely handle a trailer of that size is going to require a 1 ton truck.  So.... why not go for a nice sized fifth wheel.  The benefits are, better towing experience, shorter down the road length, betyer resale value, easier to handle and manuver.
BTW stacked pair tend to be unhandy.  They require a person to move clothes from one to the other.  Whereas a combo unit, you put in clothes, add soap, start and go away.  3 hours later you take your clean dry clothes out. Of course it all depends on your desires, but either can work well based on your life style.

donn said:
To get a TT with a WD prep, or room for one will require a really really long trailer.

How long is really really long?!

I want to have the pick up bed available, to add a topper so I can use the truck for a night or so camping at a remote TH while the trailer stays at the RV park.  Thus I don't want a 5th wheel.

Going by a few things I've read people have mixed results with those combined washer dryer single units. Maybe okay if you run very small loads?

I've been wishing for a TT with a W/D combo myself but had come to the conclusion that it just wasn't doable.  Fifth Wheel is not an option and the size TT I'd need is beyond the limits of my 1/2 ton tow vehicle.  I did find this item on Amazon however that looks interesting.  I'm sure it's a poor substitute for a regular W/D but would have to be better than sitting around a laundromat! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ALBMIEI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2AN8F12HMBX0Z&coliid=I17V9OXZLLQ1XB&psc=1

Think 35+ feet long to get room enough in a TT to get WD prep.  That means close to 40 feet behind your truck.  That is a LOT of sail going down the road.  Not to mention finding places to park it. I understsnd your reasoning, I just dont think you understand fully the negatives.
As for a stacked pair?  There still going to be apartment size, meaning small loads. With our combo, we run a load or two every couple of days.  No big deal as we start it, go about our day, come back for lunch take out clean and start another load and go again.  Not a big deal to us.  But hey, you want a stacked pair, go for them.  Just done expect to get full sized capacities like your home units no matter what you pick.
Here is a link to one trailer with WD prep.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=171&Image=5088&ModelID=867

But at 40 feet your going to need a LOT of truck to pull it and a L O T of room to manuver it around

I don't think you will find any answers for a specific make/model unless by accident. You would be better off looking at makes models on the brochures/websites of models you may be interested in and seeing if that option is offered. They are usually optioned as "with" or as "washer/dryer prep" and can be ordered with that option installed. Be aware that the washer/dryer like Splendide are very expensive when compared a home model.

We have no problems with our Spendide but it is true, the loads are smaller than a household type washer. We don't use the dryer portion (only 120V) very often but the clothes are pretty well dry by the end of the spin cycle and take very little time in the sun to dry completely.

If your chosen trailer is equipped for a 50 amp power source, then a specially wired dryer can be arranged to operate at 240V but most are not wired that way as they cannot function when camping on a 30 amp site using a dogbone adapter.

Why don't you find a good reputable dealer in your area, and discuss with them? I'm sure there are factory ordering options, or they could put one in aftermarket for you. Just because there aren't a lot with them already in the floorplan doesn't mean much of anything. Just tell them what you want and I'm sure they can find factory options or add it on.

donn said:
Think 35+ feet long to get room enough in a TT

Ok, thx for clarifying.

But hey, you want a stacked pair, go for them.  Just done expect to get full sized capacities like your home units no matter what you pick.

As noted in my original post I've already used a stackable washer dryer in an apartment and it worked fine for me.  :)  And if you check out my belated introduction in the introduction forum, you'll see I don't have a home with a washer dryer of any size right now. ;)  So anything would be an upgrade!

I read your belated post.  So I know you might very well shoot down this suggestion.

Because I believe that it would be rare to find a TT with separate W/D units I have another idea.

I know you said you didn't want a MH.  However a motorhome could pull a pickup truck with a cap on the bed so you could take
your toys and go explore after the MH was parked - better then a 5th Wheel setup, right?

If you bought a used Class A DP it would be able to tow just about any vehicle you wanted, AND many have either a W/D combo
or separate units already installed.  This would also save you from having to buy a 1 ton unit and any F150 or 1500 would do.
A Class A most likely would have larger tanks all around vs. any TT you might get. So longer boondocking is
very possible if you wanted to do that.

Of course there are pros and cons to almost everything. 
And you can say I DON'T want a MH.  But if you at least looked at a few of them you might understand why many people go that route. 

I'm just saying that it might be worth looking at some.  Maybe you will find the perfect TT with separate W/D units but like others
said it will have to be a big unit and at least somewhat rare if you do.

Good luck in you search for YOUR perfect unit. 

BTW stacked pair tend to be unhandy.  They require a person to move clothes from one to the other.  Whereas a combo unit, you put in clothes, add soap, start and go away.  3 hours later you take your clean dry clothes out. Of course it all depends on your desires, but either can work well based on your life style.

Actually, no unhandier than units at home, and they have larger capacity than the single. Also, you can run a second washer load while drying the first one, so there are advantages. We prefer the stackables, though you lose a couple of storage shelves relative to the all-in-one.

Are you handy?
If yes, take a look at all different floor plans and visualize where you could install a stackable unit yourself, or even have it contracted.
Make sure your new trailer has a 50 Amp panel and supply and keep in mind the weight it will add.

I was going  do that, but since we are on a permanent site, Just put a regular washer and dryer in a dock box directly behind our new trailer. I brought the electrical feeds. from the trailer and plumbed the waste into my sewer hookup with the water from my post spigot

Jack L

"Long enough" for a washer/dryer depends on your priorities for space utilization, but typically RVs get to 32+ feet before anyone considers there is enough floor space to dedicate some to a washer/dryer. Whether combo, stack sets, or single unit stack. 35-40 feet is more common. The tall stack units takes away both floor footprint and wall (cabinet/closet) space, whereas the combo only uses some floor space.

There is no inherent reason why a travel trailer shouldn't have a washer/dryer, but most travel trailer buyers are using their rigs for weekends or vacations and washers simply aren't much in demand.

RedAndSilver...  thanks for your well thought-out post.

As I noted at the end of my introduction I could perhaps be persuaded some day to go to the motorhome Route. ;)

One consideration: cost. Wouldn't A motorhome like you're describing cost much more than a trailer?  Then I would want to have some kind of vehicle as a toad, so there's that expense.

However of course I could tow the Jeep I have right now behind the motorhome. But it is a Wrangler with an auto transmission so its a bit of work to flat tow.

702Rubi said:
RedAndSilver...  thanks for your well thought-out post.

As I noted at the end of my introduction I could perhaps be persuaded some day to go to the motorhome Route. ;)

One consideration: cost. Wouldn't A motorhome like you're describing cost much more than a trailer?  Then I would want to have some kind of vehicle as a toad, so there's that expense.

However of course I could tow the Jeep I have right now behind the motorhome. But it is a Wrangler with an auto transmission so its a bit of work to flat tow.

Yes a MH usually is more expensive than a trailer - however buying a trailer and then a MH someday is expensive too.

The First RV I ever bought is in my signature.  I joined and saw a lot of posts about people upgrading over and over and over.
I thought why not start out more at the top end.  I also plan on Snowbirding and there are Mountains between me a good weather
so I knew I wanted a Diesel Pusher.  My MH is 15 years old and still cost more then most trailers but it does have a W/D combo and a
M/C lift on the back.  It cost me about what a new SUV would cost.  But I don't think I will out grow it too fast.

Like most things there are Pros and Cons.  I just wanted you to look at another option before deciding and then getting on the
upgrade merry-go-round that seems to be pretty common.  Some people have no choice - a couple with 5 kids have other expenses
which might limit what they can purchase starting out.  On the other side of the coin, tomorrow is guaranteed to no one, so we have to
enjoy what we have now before it's too late.  JMO.

RedAndSilver...  TBH, I have little idea what RVs cost!  :-[  that's one of the many things I need to learn so I have a better idea what I realistically could purchase.  And definitely before I buy so I don't get ripped off LOL.

I would have thought a motorhome like the one you described in your original response to me would be 60,000 to $75,000. Maybe not so expensive?

Look here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

It gives one an idea of what's out there for sale, and it will also show what their sold units sold for. It's a good place to check out floorplans too. Either way, have an independent RV tech check out any prospective units for you. It may cost a few hundred, but could potentially save you thousands.

JackL said:
Are you handy?
If yes, take a look at all different floor plans and visualize where you could install a stackable unit yourself, or even have it contracted.
Make sure your new trailer has a 50 Amp panel and supply and keep in mind the weight it will add.

I wouldn't consider myself handy enough to do that kind of work myself. But good suggestion on the possibility of retrofitting a washer/dryer of some sort. Thanks for the response!

Larry N. said:
Actually, no unhandier than units at home, and they have larger capacity than the single. Also, you can run a second washer load while drying the first one, so there are advantages. We prefer the stackables, though you lose a couple of storage shelves relative to the all-in-one.

Good point. I make it a point to have easy-care clothes when I'm traveling . But I often have at least two loads because of wanting to use a different water temperature or cycle for different clothes.

I'm not sure having a washer dryer is an absolute necessity for the RV I might purchase. But I just know that in my extensive wanderings I've had to use a lot of laundromats. Including sometimes laundromats that are associated with RV parks and campgrounds. And occasionally even those are in pretty bad condition, with machines that are very old, or seem like they've ever been cleaned, etc.  :p

Thats why we prefer a combo unit.  Start a load and go away.  Come back in the evening and take clean dry load out.
There are pros and cons for each style for sure, and you need to choose what you think is best for your situation.
Decent sized, not so old motor homes can cost upword of 100K, and then you need to connect your Jeep.  Maintenance and repairs on a MH could be a deal breaker if your on a budget.  Think $3000+ for a set of tires just for starters.  Is your budget capable of that?  If your wanting to take toys with you have you thought about a toy hauler?

You can find older Class A motorhomes in nice condition for as little $20k. Units with no slide or one slide are notably less expensive than multi-slide models. Obviously the risk with an older rig is future repair costs, either do to wear & tear or neglect, but there are well-maintained rigs out there isf you are willing to shop for them. However, figure months to search and more than a few disappointments during that time.

Back
Top Bottom