Northern California coast question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Will be traveling from Reno to the northern CA coast around Eureka or Crescent City.  I have a few questions.  Is Hwy 20 across to Hwy 1/101 then up to Eureka a decent road?  Or another option would be to take Hwy 299 from Redding to Arcata?  Suggestions please .  Pulling a 39' 5th wheel.  Also best place for whale watching in that area?  Plan to camp there for 30 days from mid April.  Thanks

20 from I-5 to 101 is fine as is 101 north to Crescent City. 20 from 101 to 1 is OK, some tight hair pins but OK. I don't recommend 1 north from Fort Bragg to Leggett.

ken

The route you mention is the best route, as was mentioned avoid 20 to fort Bragg and you won't really miss much. At this time there is some construction so some delays may be encountered on 101.

Going west from Reno hwy 20 between I-80 & Grass Valley has some very steep and tight curves.  When we go that way now we take I-80 to hwy 65 north to Marysville then get on 20 going west.  Dick nvrver

Having traveled Hwy 20 from Yuba City to Reno regularly over the last 40 years highway 20 is not a problem, I tow my 30" 5th wheel and semis travel that route, granted there a couple of steep grades but not very long and it absolutely beautiful drive and historic drive. Look closely after the historical overlook and you can see the old wagon trail route that crosses the highway several times. Going the route mentioned above will take about 1.5 hrs longer.

We will be traveling that route tomorrow.  Am I understanding the only part of 20 that is an issue is between Yuba City and Grass Valley?  Is one direction more of an issue than the other?  We will be heading West.

No on the direction, I 80 to Marysville,  just take your time, plenty of turnouts if you get traffic backed up behind you.

John

Back
Top Bottom