fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captcosmic

Does anyone know why the fan blade size is so small in the bathroom and more made to fit in the main room? With the bathroom fan about 1/2 of the air is blown down around the side of the blades back into the bathroom instead of exhausting it completely out. Is this normal? 1999 Adventurer 34V DP.

Attachments

• Resized_20170405_185355.jpeg
    Resized_20170405_185355.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Resized_20170405_185416.jpeg
    Resized_20170405_185416.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 47
That's the same fan we had in the bathroom of our '99 Allegro, and was actually pretty commonly found in RVs around those years. They worked, but they did suffer from the blowback you described. The newer Fantastic Fans were definitely an improvement - in airflow and noise.

Kev

I installed a fantastic fan in the main area and replaced the bathroom fan with the fan I removed, works great.  I think the reasoning for the small fan in the bathroom is for odor control while flushing. Don't ask why I think this.

I think that the smaller fans were used because they are much cheaper for the manufacturer to buy.  The fantastic fans are quite a bit higher to buy, especially when you are buying hundreds of them.

Ya, as I understand they are required to put a fan in the bathroom if there is no window, and that is the one you get - lowest cost possible.  The fantastic fan and maxair are upgrades. 

old_dutchman said:
Mmmmm I got to check mine... I thought they were the same size.. once I shovel my drive way I will check... got to love them April snow surprises...

After you can check can you explain what you are shoveling out of your driveway?!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will check into fantastic fans. I think the main fan does a good job. Maybe I will do as JFN did?!

captcosmic said:
After you can check can you explain what you are shoveling out of your driveway?!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will check into fantastic fans. I think the main fan does a good job. Maybe I will do as JFN did?!
All I can say is maybe new glasses are in order...

It's simply a matter of money. Fantastic fans and similar units are expensive, and these small fans are very common in RV's. One thing you might consider is a Heng's Vortex or Vortex 2. They are under 100.00 and can be retrofitted in the same place without having to remove the entire assembly and replacing and resealing everything. They do require that the old fan be removed and you won't be able to put it back, but they are a cheaper alternative. They're not near the quality of a Fantastic fan, but are a lot cheaper and don't require replacing the housing. You will lose some light as the fixture fits in the same place as the old fan and they are older technology, but they move a lot more air.

Here's a youtube video that explains installation. Just a thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywEmq_P884

Tom

I understood that a smaller fan costs less and hence save Winnebago money. So then why not put a cheapo in the main cabin? Far as I am concerned if they had put a better shroud around the smallish bathroom fan, it would have worked better. Less blow back for a few more cents for the shroud. I can also imagine there is a spec some where that says the fan in the bathroom has to be able to eliminate so many cubic feet of air per minute and that small fan meets the spec. Anyway, it is on for short periods and I will live with it, for now, unless I find a good used cheap one!  Bigger fish to fry! Thanks everyone!

Wow.. that looks like an excellent option for the bathroom fan. They are even on ebay. Thanks MileHigh. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HENGS-Vortex-12-Volt-Ceiling-Vent-Fan-Replacement-Upgrade-Kit-Model-90043-CR-/272620508225?hash=item3f7972d441:g:rxIAAOSwFnFV~DOJ&vxp=mtr

Mile High said:
Sure, just note they weren't as quiet as the fantastic fan.
They are louder than the original noisy fan and move a lot of air. Modified ours with the speed control from our main vent when we upgraded to remote control version. Reduced airflow and noise., always run on low speed.

captcosmic said:

captcosmic
The fan in your 2nd pic is a Fantastic vent/fan.
As Mile High suggested you can easily upgrade your existing bathroom fan with this Vortex "kit":
http://tinyurl.com/mj9s85k.....(without removing the existing vent itself.. which is screwed and caulked to the roof).

BTW my '96 Safari coach also came with a roof vent with a small fan in the bathroom and a Fantastic vent/fan in the main cabin.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara

John Canfield said:
Our Fantastic fan is now 12 years old and with over 100,000 miles on our coach and still works perfectly. Buy quality, buy once.
X2 on quality.
(My Fantastic fan is 21 years old... in a 148K mile coach).

John Canfield said:
Our Fantastic fan is now 12 years old and with over 100,000 miles on our coach and still works perfectly. Buy quality, buy once.
And if they do breakdown, Fantastic will send you the parts to repair for free.  I've done that.

Interesting on the warranty comments for Fantastic Fans.  When was the last time you guys had a problem with the fan?This policy is in efect since 2013.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/assets/warranty_policy_overview.pdf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom