Ceiling Damage from Skylight Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crowderpeasonaroll

We are the new owners of a 2000 Winnebago Rialta that's in excellent condition, except for the ceiling area around the skylight. There are some small cracks in the outer skylight that allowed water to seep in and now the ceiling is drooping like an old headliner in a car.  The ceiling is made from carpet with a thin layer of wood. That layer of wood is what is messed up and sagging. Above that is a 1" layer of metal and blue foam insulation and then the roof. All of that is in great shape. I just need the ceiling to not sag inside the RV. We have sealed the cracks in the skylight. My neighbor who has a Class A RV suggested we draw template and then cut out a piece of wood, plastic or something that can be bolted up through the roof and then seal the holes on the roof from the outside. This would give us something new to screw the interior skylight cover to. The carpet/damaged wood won't hold the screws. We would appreciate any advice or suggestions you have. Thanks for reading....look forward to hearing from you!

It sounds as though there is fairly extensive wood rot in the roof, so hard to say whether a patch will work. I would be inclined to take up part of the roof membrane in that area and see how bad the damage is, and replace however much is needed.  Then put down a new piece of roof membrane. Or is it fiberglass on the Rialta?  If so, that can be cut out and then re-laid after fixing the substrate. Lap sealant or Eternabond roof tape will seal the cut seams easily and well.

There is probably an outer skin as well as the interior panel that the ceiling fabric is was glued to.

You should also be able to get a replacement cover for the skylight vent.

Hi Ray, I just bought a 2000 Winnie Rialta QD and discovered some leaks and dry rot. How did it turn out for you and what did you do to fix it? I hope it went well for you.

I think you may be out of luck. The originator of this post hasn’t been back here since April of 2017.
Why don’t you start your own post and give us as much information you can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom