Re-Upholstering the captains chairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
N

Nwyantbarr

I have relentlessly been searching for GRAY seat covers for our 2005 Fleetwood  Tioga and am to give up.. Has anyone ever re-upholstered them yourself?  I am pretty handy have upholstered several over stuffed chairs... just wondering if this is doable?

Nancy

We re_upholstered all of the furniture including the captains chairs in our motor home with Ultraleather Plus. It turned out great.
My wife used the fabric from the furniture as patterns. We had to buy hog ring pliers and a really good hand stapler.
I now know that Harbor Freight makes an inexpensive air stapler that uses T50 wide crown staples and that would make the job much easier. I don't buy much from Harbor Freight but I have had good luck with tools that are not used often.

The lightweight Brother sewing machine we had in the motor home (we were full timers) wasn't up to the job and we couldn't find a heavy duty machine within 100 miles of where we were in AZ and thought we might have to make a trip to Phoenix when my wife said her 40 year old machine in storage would do the job.

I remembered seeing some old machines in a junk store a block from the RV park so I bought a 1936 White with manual and attachments for $25, It doesn't do anything fancy but has all steel parts, a bobbin twice as big as most of the modern machines and sews a beautiful straight stitch. It had no problem sewing the Ultraleather.

I have a heavy duty sewing machine, and electric staple guns so that should not be a problem..  one question would be did you take them out of the RV to re upholster them?

No we didn't. It was cramped but we managed. We had one of those plastic folding tables that is about 2 ft by 4 ft . We put the sewing machine on that. Our motor home had a slide with the 72 inch couch and dinette booth. We set up in front of that.

Thanks for the info,  I am going to start painting the walls and cabinets in the next couple of days!  Then will replace the flooring and window treatmenta then on to the re- upholstering!!! 
Nancy

Sounds like a great project! Wish I could reupholster our jackknife couch and dinette cushions. They don't match the color scheme I would like to do, but they will have to wait for another time. I don't have the means right now and our dollars are going into some costly updates right now that have to be done. I'm hoping to find some covers that look nice for the time being. Best of luck and please share pictures with us of your before and after!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom