hwh ?? hrh return spring busted. Anyone put on new ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john owens

Ladies and Gentlemen..My rears levelers are in down position in my storage area. have tried to retract 2 times then decided to have a look see. rear right tension spring, one of two was broken. The pad is drawn to one side, maybe causing some drag on ram. I will grind it off and buy new. Anybody replaced theres? Tricks? Thanks in advance!! John O.  PS WHEN I SAY GRIND IT OFF I MEAN THE OTHER SPRING  NOT THE RAM.......

One time I watched this video, never tried but hope it helps

https://youtu.be/JZmyZrfeux0

Good luck, please let me know how it works.

Bob

I replaced all eight of my springs since we had a slow retraction issue from the time the coach was brand new (problem was the jacks were made incorrectly.) Since it's been a number of years, I don't exactly remember my process but it really wasn't too difficult.

Having a helper will make the job a little easier, so round somebody up (shouldn't take more than 20 minutes for one jack). I think I used a screwdriver to pry one of the top hooks off. Once that side is off you can use your hand to get the other spring off the other side.

Installation is a bit more difficult. Get one side installed and then use a screwdriver (or pry bar, etc.) to pop on the top hook. Of course the jacks need to be fully retracted.

Bob T said:
One time I watched this video, never tried but hope it helps

https://youtu.be/JZmyZrfeux0

Good luck, please let me know how it works.

Bob

thats almost how I did mine, works great!  just didnt have a video to go by so I had to figure it out myself. Instead of wooded wedges I made a spreader from 2 pcs of all thread rod and two pcs of metal with holes drilled in both ends. Only have to spread one since when you get one off there is enough slack to remove the other with a little pull.

Great idea, fortunately, I haven't had to do that job yet.

Bob T thanks for the video info!!  I looked at you tube but did not find this one...Now to collect a million wooden wedges.....

One video I saw they cut down a bunch of paint stirring sticks if that helps.

If your jacks are "down"; if you activate the "autostore" feature and let it open the valves, then you can use a floor jack or a shovel or some lever to get the jack(s) up.  Once they are up the comments earlier will allow you to get the springs off and/or on.

Use clothes pins as wedges, the ones with the spring works best just need a bunch but they work well to stretch the spring when taking off or putting on. Good Luck

I went to Home Depot and got about 20 paint stir sticks and cut them into pieces..

I called HWH today. They wanted an ap number from the jack I said I don't have it. Next they said measure the OD of your springs...and then count the number of rows I had...Okay. They come two to a pack for 27.oo and some change so I ordered 2 sets, for future. I will put two new ones on should be fun...not. I am gonna do the stretch thing and jam wood in the gaps...great idea!! Thanks and when springs show up...I will have more comments.

I have used washers, instead of wooden sticks, but the effect is the same. To stretch the new spring, put one end of it in a vise, bend the spring far enough to install a washer or two, then bend the spring in the opposite direction, to put washers on the opposite side, repeat until you have enough washers in place to adequately stretch the spring.

Okay received the new springs from HWH. Took 7 days with UPS. I rigged up my wire comealong and stretched the spring about a foot or so. I had measured the relaxed spring connecting points on my rig so I would be in the ball park for the install. Took a couple trys with the first one to get it right. I used around 25 wedges I had bought on Amazon. Did the same thing with spring #2. Went over to the rig today and had a few items I needed to do this job easily. A 4x6 block, a smallish pry bar, some cardboard to lay on, and most important a 18V side grinder. I tried to hook up first spring right away but the foot was cocked to one side, the side with 1 spring still sttached. I decided to hit the hook tang with my grinder...going about 3/4 thru. With safety glasses on I twisted it with my prybar and she broke off just the way I planned it. Next I connected one spring at a time, very easy. Went inside and hit the extend button then came back outside. The wedges were dropping out so easy!!  Gonna do the other side tomorrow..Sorry I don't have pics!

Brand new to this site, but bought our 2000 Adventurer in 2010.  Have had to replace more than one spring.  First time I used the spacer method and it worked OK but took so long. (After levering the jack up and using a small jack to level up the foot plate).
Well, it happened again. this time I thought there has to be an easy faster way. So I removed the good spring, replaced both along with the foot plate attached. Then using a Crescent wrench, pried it in place. It would have been faster if I had another hand to help push the plate in place as I levered it down. 
Hope this makes sense. Don't get the idea that I am saying it was easy because it is not. (and I was 83 at the time). However it was a whole lot faster than using spacers and doing it that way.

i have used both stir sticks and clothes pins. clothes pins are easier to insert with the wedge shape but both will work.

Okay rear springs are good to go...Now I was looking at the front springs from 30 feet away and they look like a smaller diameter spring...Is that a possibility?? I might have to crawl underneath again and find that AP number.....Thanks Guys for all ur input...This is really a great site to belong to, John O.

I had the HWH factory guys replace all the springs on my jacks. It took them about 20 minutes do do ALL the springs on ALL the jacks.

They had obviously done the job many times and were VERY good at it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom