custom hatch (no idea how to search)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goatsauce

So, I need to build a custom hatch door to go in the place of the water heater I've pulled out.  I'm sure this is an easy answer but I'm all twisted up and can't think of how to search for this.  I've also got a need to replace a 'trunk' hatch which is 12"x60".  Finally, I'd like to build a new rock guard for my brother's vintage makeover while I'm at it.

There doesn't seem to be any "standard" door that fits the 14x14 opening where the water heater was.  My searches for "custom hatch" or "custom RV baggage door" all lead me to the wrong or weird results.  I've found places that actually build custom boat hatches but I'm sure I can do better than $175 for a 14x14 door!

I'd simply like to buy the pieces to build these things myself (aluminum frame pieces for the casing and door), etc.  Surely these raw materials are available somewhere - I just don't know what to search for.

Anyone know a good source for frame pieces like this?  Thanks!

Not sure on buying the raw goods. However, I just installed a hatch door on my Jayco in the slideout that will open up next to the kitchen table. I can throw my 50 amp shore cord in there from the outside. I searched on Ebay and Amazon and found one that is approx. 20x20 and spend about 30 bux on it. That's where I would look instead of building one. Or you can try the dealers they can order one in, but youll pay a little or alot more for that service.

I found a couple 14x14 doors/hatches with Google by searching '14x14 door'. This search should find them for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=14x14+door&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Here is a link to a site that you can basically order the size that you need.  You can select either the square corner style or the rounded corner style.  Once the page loads, select which style you are looking for by clicking the picture.  That will take you to the page to select all the options that you want or need....

http://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-exterior/rv-baggage-doors/

Also check ebay. I have been searching RV baggage door and have had good luck with matches. There are a couple of companies that sell scratch,dent and new take off RV parts on ebay. So far they have been nice folks to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom