Campgrounds in Michagan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

We have reservations for the Spartan school in Late August located in Charlotte MI. Our very tentative plan is to be in central Iowa in late July for a family reunion and then take 3 weeks to drive north through Wisconsin around the north part of Lake Michigan across the Mackinac Bridge and then south to Charlotte Michigan. I believe this is the most scenic way and with 3 weeks to travel the 826 miles this should give us plenty of time and opportunity to visit some of the best campsites Michigan has to offer.

So I am looking for suggestions for RV campsites along this route that would accommodate a 40 ft motorhome. We will be towing a Honda CR-V. We prefer public campgrounds but will gladly use private ones when necessary. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Just South of the Mackinaw Bridge is a campground that is fairly large and I think it would take your size rig.
You can see the bridge from the campground.  www.campmackinaw.com  231-436-5584

There are Campgrounds near Traverse City too.  www.indigobluffs.com  800-224-4488
www.traversebayrv.com  231-938-5800  and  www.wildcherryresort.com  231-271-5550

There are also campgrounds in Manistee and Ludington on the west side of the State of MI.

In the UP there is Munising - Pictured Rocks are there.  Boat ride out and back.  Take a camera.  www.munisingtouristpark.com 906-387-3145

I live in MI and only camp here. I highly suggest all of the State of Michigan state parks. Tough to get into, but are a love for my family. Any campground along the west coast of MI along Lake Michigan is a great choice. I attached the state web site for reservations. I have to reserve most of the sites we visit 6 months in advance. If you get a chance to visit Lake Michigan and if you have been to Florida's beaches or Cancun's, its a easy comparison and not many people know exists here in MI.!

https://www.midnrreservations.com

Thanks for the info and links. I see most of the state parks are already getting full. Is it possible to get reservations say a week or so in advance hoping for a cancellation or must I reserve now. Reserving now really reduces our flexibility but I understand if it's necessary.

timjet said:
Thanks for the info and links. I see most of the state parks are already getting full. Is it possible to get reservations say a week or so in advance hoping for a cancellation or must I reserve now. Reserving now really reduces our flexibility but I understand if it's necessary.

I assume you know how busy campgrounds in FL get in the Winter.
In MI it's the opposite and Summer is the busy time - maybe even more so because we CAN'T RV in the Wintertime.
State Parks fill up fast because MI residents can buy a pass with their license and get in free.
On the other side of the coin there are times that I could get in without advance registration.
August can be iffy - there are no major Holidays in Aug but it's the last chance to get the kids out camping before school starts.
They use to always start school after Labor Day but they were talking about changing it to before LD so that would make it worse for you.  :(

So I would call now and if they are booked then ask to be put on a list in case anyone cancels.  If they call with an opening, at that
time you can decide if it will work out.  In the mean time, call other campgrounds.  Of course you could book now and cancel later Just
make sure you know what their policy is and how much money they will keep if you do cancel.

I live more on the west side of MI so those are the links I posted.  If you would rather come down the east side of the state there
are plenty of other campgrounds to choose from.

But I wouldn't wait to long as we only have a few months to use the campgrounds here unlike FL, that can be used year round.

WOW.. Instead of searching on Tekonsha I tried a Search on the home of Tony the Tiger,  The Cereal city.. Battle Creek, MI (Where I moved after I left the farm and before moving to Detroit)

Too many to list (78 hits) so here is the URL I found:

http://www.camping-usa.com/campgrounds/michigan/battle-creek/

Fort Custer used to be a Military base.. Campgrounds right in Battle Creek (Who'd a thunk it) and Bellevue  (Closer to Charlotte)  30-45 Minutes good roads all the way to Charlotte (Not Freeway but Primary state route)  Too bad my favorite BC Ice Cream parlor is no more (Henry's.. the owner, who's name by the way was Jack,,, Was an RVer).

You can also try State Forest Campgrounds if you don't mind dry camping.  They normally don't take reservations and rarely fill up.  I would suggest arriving Thursday or early Friday to get a nice spot or if you want one of State Parks, arrive on a Sunday afternoon if you don't have a reservation.  The parks in the upper peninsula are easier to get into than the Parks down below the bridge.  There is a very nice Forest campground along HWY 2 near ST Ignace with great views of the bridge.  We were there last summer and the place was empty.

We got an offer to camp host in that area, but not at that campground.  I can't imagine that they'd make the hosts haul their water when the campsites were full hookup.

State park right at the end of the Bridge on the north side. Nice big sites, private showers with lockable doors.  Nice spot.

Get the free app called RVparkey.  It will show you many parks and give you info on them.  Then check Rv park reviews to get others thoughts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom