Tire Pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

The Bridgestone tires on my 1500 Dodge says max PSI is 40. Should I stay at that number or should I be at 45 or 50 when towing my loaded 26" foot TT?

bobbyg2013 said:
The Bridgestone tires on my 1500 Dodge says max PSI is 40. Should I stay at that number or should I be at 45 or 50 when towing my loaded 26" foot TT?

How did you determine 45 or 50 should be correct?

max?i?mum
ˈmaksəməm/

adjective: maximum

1.    as great, high, or intense as possible or permitted.
    "the vehicle's maximum speed"
    synonyms:  greatest, highest, biggest, largest, top, topmost, most, utmost, maximal
    "the maximum amount"

noun: maximum
    1.    the greatest or highest amount possible or attained.
    "the school takes a maximum of 32 students"
    synonyms:  upper limit, limit, utmost, uttermost, greatest, most, extremity, peak, height, ceiling, top, apex; informalmax
    "production levels are near their maximum"

adverb
adverb: maximum

1.  at the most.
    "it has a length of 4 feet maximum"

Hey guys; a simple "don't exceed the manufacturer recommended PSI", will do. But thanks for your response anyway.

I set the tire pressure to the maximum shown on the tire on all wheels, not what the automobile suggest.  The vehicle manufacturers want you to have a smooth ride at the expense of the wear on the tires.  When towing you're not interested in a little smoother ride, but more interested in safety. 

bobbyg2013 said:

Are those the Original tires? Your Dodge owner's manual would suggest higher inflation pressures if applicable for towing conditions. Are the Bridgestones passenger tires or LRC LT tires?

In any event; Do not exceed cold inflation pressures above what is displayed on the tires sidewalls.

Back
Top Bottom