Toy Hauler- Roadmaster brand, Campmaster model opinion needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noknock

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the Roadmaster brand, Campmaster model?  I looked at their website and see they now sell Predators for toy haulers.  I assume the Campmaster was discontinued? 

Anyone know the difference between the Campmaster and Predator models?

Overall quality of this company?

Through a friend of a friend, I know of a 26' Campmaster model year 2005 for sale that has very little use and is in excellent shape.  I don't have details on what options are installed on the trailer as of this writing, but am in the process of getting some pics. 

Is a 26' trailer to long to pull comfortably on long trips?  Should I be looking at 5th wheel toy haulers for pull purposes?

I have a 3/4 ton diesel so I should be able to pull a majority of the trailers out there.

The trailer is about a 6 hour drive for me, so before I even consider taking a trip to actually eyes on inspect, I would like some advice from you folks.

What should I be looking for as far as options that are considered a "must have?"  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A  3/4 ton deisel doesn't necessarily mean a thing.  What brand, suspension, bed length and Cab?  All have different tow rating.

Shayne is correct 2/4 ton, 1/2 ton, or 1 ton the important thing is what is the GVWR, GCVWR.  These are the ratings that you want to be sure to stay within.  Exceed these and safety and legality goes bye bye.

Are you looking for a ATV 0r bike trailer you can also live in, or a travel trailer you can carry your motor toys in? Different perspective.

Roadmaster is a utility trailer builder who recently began adding living quarters to their boxes. Other toy haulers are mostly from RV manufacturers who have recently begun adding utility spaces for toys. Not sure which one is better (if either), but I would expect different strengths and different priorities in design and manufacture. I haven't seen a Predator interior except on the website, but my impression is that it is rather spartan, at least without any options. But a Roadmaster trailer is probably better built structurally than many (but not all) RV-based haulers. You have to decide what is important.

Looking at the Predator option list, I would suggest the DSI water heater - that's electric start hot water so you don't have to manually light and turn off a pilot light when you arrive or depart.  You will probably want either the oven or the microwave, depending on your cooking style and I think the larger fridge (8 cu ft) would be a wise choice. The standard 6 cu ft fridge will be really tiny, since you are probably used to having at least 14 cu ft at home and maybe as much as 19-21 cu ft.  Everything else is pretty much a matter of amenities you feel are needed to make life good - and of course the budget to buy them. Awnings are nice and the queen bed would probably be appreciated if you are used to a larger bed.

Bathrooms in toy haulers are notoriously skimpy and most extended travel RVers learn that bathrooms are much more important to your enjoyment than you would expect. You can deal with a lot of minor inconveniences for a weekend, but spend a few weeks living in an RV and those every day things take on a much greater significance.

No, 26-28 ft is not too big for a trailer if you have a good quality weight distributing hitch. Your 3/4 ton diesel is probably OK, but don't assume about its tow capacity, GVWR, etc. Check the numbers and compare the weight (GVWR, not dry weight) of every trailer you consider buying.

Buying used is a good choice, especially for your first trailer. Odds are you will learn that your real wants & needs are quite different than what you think they are and will want a different rig within a year or two. Starting with a used one will make a trade much more practical from a financial viewpoint, since the early depreciation on any new RV is horrendous.

One additional suggestion DON"T believe what a dealer/salesman tell you about how much your truck can pull as they have a overwhelming tendancy to tell the buyer what ever they think will close the sale.  DO run the GVWR/GCVWR numbers yourself and/or come here to confirm you are within limits.

Shayne and Ron,

Good point on the truck, maybe you guys can help me break it down to what is the most safe/legal weight for me to tow.

2003 extended cab 6.6l duramax, 4X4 with standard bed.  All stock with the exception of 265 Firestone tires vs. the stock 245 Firestone tires.  I use a PRODIGY for a tandem utility trailer that averages no more than 5500 lbs when we go on our hunting trips. 

On inside of door the following is listed:

GVWR- 9200 lb

GAWR Frt- 4670

GAWR- 6084-

I know from my notes that on 11-5-2005 with my tool box in place and a full tank of diesel with no passengers that I weighed my truck at the local Pilot.

My steer axle- 3940
drive axle- 2760

gross actual weight- 6700 lb of my pickup as it stands with tool box, tools and full tank.  So throw in 4 passengers for the heck of it and I would be looking at an honest additional 1000 pounds not counting any equipment, etc. 

I am looking to haul no more than two ATVs.  The camper will be for my family of four.  Once a year the trailer will make a trip out west into the mountains so I need the trailer weight specs with rocky mountain towing in mind.

Thanks for your guys expert opinions . . .

Ron will pick up on that shortly aand perhaps Gary and John  They know what they are talking about.  They've convienced me  to not tow what I've been towing for years.  But then if you look at my signature you know why  LOL

2003 extended cab 6.6l duramax, 4X4 with standard bed.

OK.  Using the Trailer Life tables for 03, if you have a 3.73 rear end, you are looking at a tow rating of 12,000 lbs with a conventional hitch, 15,400 with a fiver.    You have a turbo diesel so we can ignore altitude allowances, but nevertheless we like to have a 10% safety factor in our ratings.  So if you get a conventional hitch limit your trailer to a GVWR of 10,800 lbs., a 5th wheel 13,860 lbs.. 

With a toy hauler, be sure you know the weight of the toys and their gear and they are within your GVWR numbers when you load a 1000-2000 lbs of other gear in the trailer and truck.

Back
Top Bottom