replacing fuel pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napalm204

I realize not everyone would desire to go this direction, but it is an option for some who do not mind doing the hard work.  After testing for voltage at the fuel pump and even applying external power to it, I knew I had a faulty fuel pump.  My coach would not start at my rural location.  So it was either have it towed from my property to a repair station or figure out a way to get to, test and replace the pump.  Others may have done this, but this is how I managed to avoid significant expense.  I used my Dremel metal cutting saw to remove the metal flooring in my lower storage compartment immediately above my fuel pump location.  Although it was a tight fit, (6' 1" and 210 pounds) I was able to access the fuel pump and test it.  Finding it faulty I was able to remove the pump from the fuel tank.  Then I found a new replacement pump on ebay for $315.  Local retailers wanted $550 and up.  I replaced the fuel pump and had a friend turn on the ignition.  When I heard the pump whine I knew I had it licked.  I then went to Lowe's, bought a sheet of 2X3 sheet metal installing it in the hole I had cut out in pieces.  I pulled and glued the felt carpeting back over the new sheet metal and it looks good as new.  I figure I saved myself $400 easy.  Now I can access the fuel pump easily for any future failures.  But just so you know.....it can be done.   

I did the same thing on my Mustang. I wanted to change to a higher volume fuel pump and I found out exactly where the pump was and then used a grinding wheel to access it.

Right rear section in the trunk.

Attachments

• 20191130_150918 - Copy.jpg
    20191130_150918 - Copy.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220704_072428.jpg
    20220704_072428.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 4
  • r20210221_185751.jpg
    r20210221_185751.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 4
Great idea. I cannot find the fuel pump fuse or relay on my 1997 Georgie Boy 33' Pursuit. Any ideas?
Is your Pursuit built on a Ford F53 chassis? If it is, and if my memory hasn't completely failed me, the fuel pump relay, fuse, and diode are in the power distribution box mounted on the front side of the firewall under the hood. The relay is #2 starting from the bottom of the row, the fuse is #20, and the diode is #1, the left diode of the two below the relay row on the right. Relay #1 and diode #2 are both for the A/C, so they're both good troubleshooting candidates for swapping if the fuse is good. Both the relay and the diode are readily available online and at most auto parts stores.

Back
Top Bottom