aux diesel fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

accordionman

Just completed step 1 - bought the truck - a F-250 with a 6.7 Diesel - a 2016 Lariat with 18 K miles on it - a real nice truck, BUT fuel tank is only 26 gallons. Stick a trailer/5th wheel on the back of this and get 10 mpg I'll be fueling up more than peeing. I think I'm going to put an aux tank on - probably something like a 50 gal in the front part of the bed that will share the feed from the fuel fill inlet into the tank.

Anyone have a suggestions on this  ? I'm all ears ! LOL!

Ed

I installed the RDS 71083 57" Length x 9.5" Width x 20" Height Rectangular Auxiliary/Transfer Fuel Tank - 45 Gallon Capacity" with gravity feed. The dimensions are of the rectangular tank and don't include the fill tube. If you wanted to remove it, you would have to remove three 3/8" bolts and disconnect the 5/16" fuel line. It may hold 45 gallons but the pump usually shuts off at 38 gallons. I could get 2-3 gallons more in it if I wanted to hold the nozzle higher.  To install you have to cut the main fuel fill line going to the truck's 26 gallon tank and install a "tee" to connect to the 5/16" fuel line. On a 2008 Silverado the fuel fill line was 2". Newer vehicles have 1 1/2" fill lines The tank has a shutoff valve that you connect the 5/16" fuel line. On the Silverado, the fuel gauge does not like it if you drive 100 miles and it doesn't see the float move so it shows empty until the aux tank is empty. Once the float is able to move the gauge begins working again. With a helper took about 2 hours to install. Had to drill 5 holes, 3 to anchor the tank, 1 for the fuel line and 1 for the vent.

Both the tank and the gravity feed kit are available through Northern and Amazon.

I've got a 2011 F250 with that same 26 gal. tank and I get about 10 mpg when towing the Toy Hauler.  I just recently (about three weeks ago) installed a 42 gal Better Built "L" shaped tank in the bed.  I had a tool box already in the bed and raised it up about 3 1/2" to allow the "L" part of the tank to fit under the tool box.  I didn't go the direct fill route, I bought an Electric pump that flows about 8 gal/minute and also added a GoldenRod diesel fuel filter into with the pump/hose.  I usually refuel when the 26 gal tank gets to 1/4 left, so that is usually about 180 miles.  I'm ready for a bathroom break/stretch break by then, so all I need to do is find a rest area or exit the interstate and pump the fuel at that time.

I've used a 75 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank in the bed of my truck for the last 8 years, giving me a total of about 100 gallons on board.  It makes traveling a lot simpler when I don't need to fuel as often.  With the use of Gas Buddy, I can plan my fuel stops to save a few $$.  It also greatly reduces the frequency on fueling while hooked to the trailer.  I'll never be without an auxiliary tank.

Very good responses.  Just remember the weight of the tank and fuel will reduce your payload.  50 gal of diesel fuel alone will weigh 350 #.  Just include this in your calculations.

Check out "aerotanks.com"

I have had one of their 60 gal. Direct replacement tanks in my last 2 Ram Cummins. ('98 and my '05) No I don't work for them! The best thing about a direct replacement tank is 1, use your OE fuel fill location. 2, fuel level gage works, towing- go about 160/175 miles before it comes off of full, from there on down to "E" it is accurate. 3, frees up bed space. 4, reduces fuel theft, nobody knows that you have as much as 60 gal of fuel slung under the bed!

I bought mine from ATTAtank.com.  They were a little more than some but had some size/shape options that others didn't have.  Mine is a 94 gallon model that holds 88 or so if I let the pump turn off by itself. They are all pump tanks instead of gravity feed.  You have your choice of an auto-fill that fills your tank when it sees it low, or one where you push a button inside the cab.  Mine is the latter. The best thing about them is getting fuel where I want to get fuel and not where I'm forced to get fuel because I'm getting close to empty. I also like that if I watched my speed and wasn't towing I could get almost to my son's house in San Diego from my home in the north Georgia mountains without filling up.

Back
Top Bottom