Remco LP-BK01 lube pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely not part of the Remco kit.  Pump's now relocated, plumbed, wired, and works. However, the warning siren on the control panel in the RV sounds incessantly.

Disheartened and apart from refitting the filter, out of ideas. :'(

So after further testing, it's now clear the pump itself is at fault. Remco's specs state 2.0-3.5 amps normal current and around 1 gal per minute flow. Mine draws no more than 1.0 amp and whilst it runs smoothly enough, it only draws enough oil in to provide an intermittent sputter out.  I was fairly sure that the bad connection was the issue but clearly that wasn't all. However, I've successfully moved the pump to the firewall where's it accessible and clean, and verified the fluid is being circulated correctly through the pump when it's switched off and the engine running.  So that leaves either a repair or a replacement, and I'll be calling round pump repair shops in Little Rock, AR when they re-open after the holiday. A replacement is well over $400. :'(

I can only speculate about that filter but since the pump picks up oil from the pan it is unfiltered it then would be pushing unfiltered oil thru the system. It is on the discharge side since it would give too much resistance being on the suction. Easier to push than to suck. 

just get an outboard motor fuel squeeze bulb and have Mags squeeze it and pump as you go down the road.

catblaster said:
  just get an outboard motor fuel squeeze bulb and have Mags squeeze it and pump as you go down the road.

I can give you several valid reasons why I didn't think of that, Meade. ::)

I think catblaster is probably right on that filter.  If it were me, I'd be looking for a replacement.

The whole squeeze bulb thing sounds like a cheap way around it...until you consider the cost of divorce.

That was definitely one of the reasons I was thinking of, Wally.:eek:  I've sourced & ordered a filter replacement at O'Reilly's specifically for transmission & power steering applications (magnetic) and collect it tomorrow. According to Remco and a couple of distributors, the pump's not serviceable in any way, in which case I'll order a new one and refit the filter. Big price difference if you dig around - $278 shipped from here compared to $397 standard price from Remco & others. Doesn't hurt so much. At least I won't have to lie down to fit it now.

Dougie.

Thread drift aleart.. The following non-quoted text is a joke.... Or is it?

Old_Crow said:
With me, it's not the laying down, it's the getting back up.

That is the fault of Cats.. You see (Source a woman named Robin Woods, She is an artist)

The cat lies in the sun soaking up sunlight and photosynthesizing it into gravitions.

You can tell this because when the cat jumps up on the window ledge .. Light as a feather but with all that extra gravity when the cat jumbs back down THUD!!

Well the cat likes to lie atop you and the Gravitons, sink into you so YOU get heavier ,, And then they sink into the bed, and the floor and eventually the basement.

That is why once something lands in the basement...it's there to stay.

It's all because of cats 

(The Theory of Cat Gravity by Robin Woods.. If you can find it it is much longer than my post and a funnier as well)

Not a cat person myself, but we do have a Chihuahua that weighs about 10 lbs until he lays down on the bed.  At that point, his weight automatically increases to about 50lbs.  Probably the same principal.

Can someone please explain how the selector valve works. I completely understand the plumbing setup and flow directions, and how the pressure switch closes when the pump is started thus notifying the control panel in the RV of the fact.  What I don't get is how (or if) the valve itself actually closes and opens.  Does the switch also act mechanically internally?  I ask because Remco state that the pump should not have fluid passing through it when switched off and the engine is running. Conversely, when the pump is running and engine is off, what stops the fluid at the "Pump" connection from continuing past the "Trans" connection and flowing back directly into the transmission?

Also what happens if the engine runs while the pump is switched on?  I can't get my head around it and I've called Remco enough times already.  ::)

Click/touch the paperclip next to the photo for full-screen otherwise it's too big

Dougie.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 19
The position of the selector valve is determined by which source has the most pressure. If the engine is running and the pump is off, the fluid flow is routed to the transmission cooler and back the the transmission. If the pump is running and the engine is off, the valve routes the flow from the pump back the transmission. If both are running, the source with the highest pressure will determine the valve position, or if the pressures are roughly equal, the valve will allow some flow from each source. In any case, the transmission always gets sufficient flow to keep it lubricated. Some times in sub-freezing weather, the cold fluid when the pump starts up doesn't allow enough pressure to trip the pressure switch, and the dash alarm sounds. When that happens, I just start the engine with the remote start fob and let it time cycle once. By then the fluid is warm enough to flow at the higher pressure needed to keep the alarm off.

Dutch, I actually did call the tech (Terry) at Remco again this morning in the end as I wanted if possible to push on with the job today. I believed I'd got my head around the system in the end, and he confirmed I had. Of course, you are totally correct in your explanation, thank you.

He stated the maximum line run should be 8ft and I knew I was over that as I had simply extended the existing plumbing rather than rip it out and re-do it when relocating the pump (lazy). So I ripped everything out this afternoon and guess what I found (apart from long hose runs). The original installer had wrongly used 3/8" hose for the pump output side and 5/16" for the input.  When I'd pulled the old pump out from between the radiator and bumper, I had to cut the hoses as they were stuck fast on the connectors. I never thought to check if the installer had put them on the right way round, and just extended them up to the firewall to the new pump location. The correct sizing is 3/8" input (from the Remco 3/8" connector on the transmission pan to the pump) and 5/16" output (from the pump to the selector valve which has 5/16" connectors).  They had fitted them the other way round. So when I extended, I connected as per Remco specs, but unknowingly connected the wrong way round.  I suspect the installer realized this after fitting the hoses and instead of rectifying it, plugged the quick connectors round the wrong way on the pump. I had no chance. ::)

Anyway, I'm reasonably confident it'll be up & running tomorrow. I'm relocating the selector valve to beside the pump so everything will be short runs, clean, dry and accessible.  That's the hope anyway....

Dougie.

All is well.;D  Connected up the selector valve, started the engine (no leaks, hoorah) and got a good continuity reading through the pressure switch. The hoses that should've got hot, got hot; the others stayed cold.  Switched off and tested the pump.  Again, good pressure continuity and the other hoses that now should've got hot, got hot whilst the first ones cooled.  Wired in the pressure switch to the 6-pole socket, connected up to the RV, took a deep breath, and..... the controller liked it. 8)

I fitted the inline magnetic filter between the transmission and the selector valve which may do some good to the tranny generally.  I'm obviously happy to have it all working again and to have learnt some good things along the way.  I like the way it makes you less frightened to deal with stuff too. So as ever, big thanks to everyone for jumping in with the help!

Afterthought
As I lay awake at 5:00am this morning trying to ignore the thunderstorm, it occurred to me that after having towed with the engine idling, it would be useful to use the pressure warning system under those circumstances without the pump running. Simple solution - fitted a switch in the engine bay to stop power to the pump (e.g. if it goes faulty again) but leave the power to the pressure switch. Result is the monitor in the RV does its job with the car engine running so no more worries about it stopping without warning.

Dougie.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 7
As a postscript, I had a surprise call this morning from the Remco tech asking how I got on with the job.  He was genuinely pleased I fixed it, and I was bowled over by their level of customer care. How nice was that??  So a big shout out to Jessie and Terry at Remco. :D

Dougie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom