Towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camruny

I'm considering buying a 25' Shasta Oasis travel trailer to tow behind my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The specs on the trailer are:

25' box
28' with tongue
4600 lbs dry weight
7400 lbs GVWR

Specs on the car are:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
366 HP V8
Factory tow package
Transmission cooler
7200 lb towing capacity
1300 lb payload capacity

What are everyone's thoughts on this setup?  I wouldn't be traveling far, probably only 3 hrs max.  I would likely always be a campground with hookups so no need to travel with full tanks either.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

This is a non starter!

The TT is 7400# when loaded to go camping, maybe a little less.

The Jeep has a MAX TOWING CAPACITY  of 7200#.  This is based on a model with the options ordered on 30% of new models. It includes factory tow package, one 150# driver, full gas tank, NO PASSENGERS, NO CARGO IN THE TRUCK.  You must subtract the weight of all passengers, all cargo, and the weight of most options.  I would estimate your true max towing capacity closer to 6400#.

The Jeep CAN  pull a decent TT, but I would stay below 5000# GVWR.  This trailer is not it!

I have a 22' travel trailer, Bigfoot, that had a very low profile for a trailer and wouldn't have ever entertained the thought of towing it with my Grand Cherokee.  The short wheel base of the Grand Cherokee would make for quite an interesting drive when strong winds hit or a semi goes by.  Granted my wife and I have seen all sorts of short wheel based tow rigs but I love her too much to gamble her life on such a set up. 

There is no such thing as an accident.  People just get educated by physics and inappropriately give it the wrong name.  Why gamble with your life?

When the max weight of the trailer is already near or above the marketed max tow capacity of the the TV you're probably not going to like the answer.

I have to agree with the others, your too close to your TV towing load. I am bad with numbers, but when something like this is facing me head on ?, I can clearly see your TV will be over loaded. my '92 Fleetwood wilderness comes in at 4000lbs empty, I have a 1/2 truck, but with factory tow package. even though the numbers are small on my TT ?, I still bought a WDH, complete kit, sway bar and all. did I need it ?, maybe ?..maybe not ?, but is it for safety ?..bet your tail end it is !..lol.

For those curious on towability with a 2014 Grand Cherokee w/ V8 HEMI with Quadra Lift (Auto leveling system) I am currently towing a 27.8 Foot Ultra Light  Aluminum Framed Travel Trailer (tongue to bumper)  It is a 2018 2400bh with a dry weight of 4800lbs (Close to 5,800 loaded)  I know I am well under the 7200lbs manufacturers tow rating for this vehicle but it is also a SUV with a shorter wheel base so my biggest concern was the length causing dangerous sway - Taking the chance I purchased the trailer anyway and I must say that cruising at 100km/h is very comfortable and RPS's hovering a little over 2,000 RPM with an average fuel consumption of 24 l/100km or 9.8 US MPG for my fellow American's .  I am using a Husky Center Line Stabilisation / Sway control system and it seems to be working great!  (I used the Reese Dual Cam Sway control before and was told by the dealer that he has cured many white nuckle drivers concerns by switching them to this system... I have to agree that it does appear to work better)  - The reason for this post is someone on here said he would not tow more than 20 feet with his GC and I just wanted to let people know the nearly 28 foot trailer i'm towing towes like a dream behind mine.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 39 350k.jpg
    FullSizeRender 39 350k.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 40
Yes that's right .. which is why I purchased a trailer approx. 2,400 lighter than my GC's tow rating. In your video posted, this trailer appears to be an older heavier model and he appeared to be going to fast but his most critical mistake.. no antisway weight distribution system.  Experience towing is also a factor

I have almost the same setup as you envision. Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 towing a TT with a GVWR of 6500 lbs. Many said that I shouldn't tow something that close to my weight limits. The GVWR is less important than the actual maximum weight you WILL tow. My TT's dry weight is 4735. It has never been towed at the GVWR. Are you going to load up an additional 3000 lbs in your TT and tow vehicle? Probably not. Of course it is safe to tow if you do not exceed factory limits. After all, if it wasn't, the limits would be considerably lower. Corporate lawyers would have already seen to that. That being said, it is important in any event to have a proper setup, ie, weight distribution, sway control, brake controller, etc.

I can't tell you whether what you wish to do is safe or not, but can report on my personal experience towing with the GC. Passing tractor trailers on 2 lanes roads has no effect on the TT (sway control works well). I have only had to make one "stand on the brake" panic stop at a traffic light I didn't notice at first. No drama, stopped straight and true.

My TT's dry weight is 4735. It has never been towed at the GVWR. Are you going to load up an additional 3000 lbs in your TT and tow vehicle? Probably not.

Can't argue with the logic, but few people have any clue as to how much weight they will actually add to the trailer, and they near always underestimate it badly. Also, most trailers have a more modest payload (CCC), sometimes as little as 1000 lbs. It's not at all hard to exceed that load limit, even in just weekend camping.  Unless and until you have actual scaled weight of the loaded trailer, it is best to assume it will be much closer to the GVWR than to the dry weight. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom