Where to spend the night on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooney 78865

The wife and I are planing our first extended trip next month to Monument Valley/southern Utah area. We are planning a week to sight see and the usual what not. Once we are there, we will be there for the duration.
I'm wondering what folks do while on the road?  We will have one night on the road while traveling and I wanted to know if most go to an RV park, stay in a road side rest area, or a Walmart parking lot for that matter?  We are driving a 34' class A with a toad.  Am I over thinking it?

I too am a newbie. I have read a lot about rv travels, an my 11 yo mutt will be with me, so I have kind of looked along my path for nightleys. Walmart, I have heard are cool w overnighters and such, but I reckon I will spend a night or two at a local, or a  KOA.

txprimate said:
I too am a newbie. I have read a lot about rv travels, an my 11 yo mutt will be with me, so I have kind of looked along my path for nightleys. Walmart, I have heard are cool w overnighters and such, but I reckon I will spend a night or two at a local, or a  KOA.

Not all Walmart's allow you to stay there. Some are restricted by city ordinances. What I always do is go inside and speak to a manager and ask them if it's OK to spend the night and I explain that I'll be out early in the morning. Also, I do not break out the grill, open slides unless I really have to. I don't want it to look like I'm camping.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I said I would prefer a KOA.
If I wanted to find a forum to piss off, there are many more. Look one post up and read. Damnit, I am out of here if some 8k poster can't read.

I always prefer campgrounds for my on the road stops. That doesnt mean I have never stayed in a Walmart, but it is never a first choice. If you are new to traveling, it is just easier to stay in a campground until you get comfortable with dry camping.

txprimate said:
If I wanted to find a forum to piss off, there are many more. Look one post up and read. Damnit, I am out of here if some 8k poster can't read.

Rene T did not put words in anyone's mouth, he simply stated restrictions at some Walmarts and how he handles setup while he's there. Please let's stay on topic and address the OP's original question.

To that end, I concur with both UTTransplant and txprimate that my preference is something like a KOA for quick overnights. Easy in and out and I'm dumped and filled for the next night. Everyone's different but for me I save Walmart for when I'm out of options. They are however a way to save some money along the way.

For the enroute portion we often use Flying J ... most but not all have a seperate RV island out front for fuel, seperate from the car island.  And usually parking out front for your RV.  We just recently started towing a Jeep Liberty which changes the picture however due to combined length and inability to backup.  There is an app for your phone (My Pilot Flying J ) which will locate, give information on services, fuel prices, etc. and give you map and directions to get you there. 

Loves and some of the other truck stops will have space to park also.  The few Pilot stations I have tried did not have the RV service island and no room to park in front. 

Other wise we have used some rest areas and occasionally WalMart or Cracker Barrel.  Again CB might well be a problem with length unless you parked to side or back of building, but most allow overnight parking. 

So with a toad your options are reduced.

Howard and Kelly

Tom said:
Where are you coming from?
We are coming from Clovis CA. It will be about 850 miles each way.
I like the idea about the flying j app. That's another one of my laundry list of questions/fears about traveling in a motor home pulling a toad!

Sometimes, I'll find a shopping mall parking lot for the night. I do Wal Mart too. I don't really care for truck stops, because of the noise. I've done rest areas too, but they can get pretty busy/full sometimes.

Freecampsites.net    We've found some pretty neat spots to overnight using this app/website along the way.  Found a city park in Nebraska last year($5/night) that we'd have stayed an extra day if we'd had the time.

txprimate said:
Hummmmm... Don't let the door hit you in the heiny on the way out! By the way, you didn't specify you would prefer to stay at KOA's only that you would for a night or two. Little too much anger for me but then his/her handle does indicate a primitive nature.

I too am a newbie; mebie  some attitudes don't belong on this forum or any other for that matter, been on this one for about 6 mo. now and like it the best, have had  many issues and received many answers all have been well intended. with that being said by by by.  dabrown

txprimate said:

You might also consider that many of us post answers, even with a quote, in a manner that can help more than just the quoted poster, which is how I took his post.

I see that a couple of posts said goodbye, and perhaps if you're looking for a reason to get upset, as this post would indicate, then perhaps that would be best, but if you've calmed a bit and can look at things again with a slightly different outlook, you might find this a good site for information.

txprimate said:
You are fairly new, so i think we are cutting you some slack. It is very common on forums to quote a post in order to supply more information. It makes sure readers know what subject is being added to. It is not at all being rude.

In my limited experience, I try to plot out where I can stay while on the road that will cost me the least, so I can devote more of my money to good accommodations at my destinations. To that end, I have pulled into campgrounds and paid for a spot at the last minute when I can't find anything else, but will always try to find a Flying J, Cracker Barrel or Walmart for my nights on the road. Some CB's do not have long enough RV spaces for my rig when I have a toad, but all will try their best to making sure you're happy. They cater to RV'ers and OTR drivers because the chain was originally begun by an OTR driver. I showed one manager how I was hanging over five feet to the front and three feet to the rear and asked if that would be a problem. She said that was nothing compared to some she had seen.

Flying J's can be noisy, depending on where the RV parking is located, and oftentimes, I have found the parking area to be on severe slants which can cause a problem with your refrigerator if left at a steep angle for too long.

I don't believe in setting up camp at a Walmart, CB or FJ and will never bring out the grill or extend the awning, but regardless of where we park, the bedroom slide has to be extended or we won't be able to sleep. Likewise, on the same side of the coach, we will extend the kitchen slide so we can cook, but the slide on the other side of the coach stays in. When possible, we park with the driver's side next to an island so the slides won't be in anyone else's way. That makes it convenient for us to walk our dogs, too.

We will stay only long enough to fix a meal, sleep, fix breakfast, and then hit the road. We will also never leave behind trash and will pick up after our dogs. That way, it will look as though we were never there. The slobs that leave their trash in the parking lot are the ones who spoil it for the rest of us.

Mooney 78865 said:
The wife and I are planing our first extended trip next month to Monument Valley/southern Utah area. We are planning a week to sight see and the usual what not. Once we are there, we will be there for the duration.
I'm wondering what folks do while on the road?  We will have one night on the road while traveling and I wanted to know if most go to an RV park, stay in a road side rest area, or a Walmart parking lot for that matter?  We are driving a 34' class A with a toad.  Am I over thinking it?

Mooney
IMO you are overthinking it.
While traveling we've overnight in rest areas and truck stops... and, (after asking permission), in the parking lots of  Walmarts, Sams Clubs, churches, small airports, gas stations, hospitals, shopping centers and restaurants, as well as in police department and/or city hall parking lots.
Mel
'96 Safari, ('07 Saturn toad)

Old_Crow said:
Freecampsites.net    We've found some pretty neat spots to overnight using this app/website along the way.  Found a city park in Nebraska last year($5/night) that we'd have stayed an extra day if we'd had the time.
Nice tip - thanks for sharing that!

When I was single I would pull into a rest stop and crash for a few hours but that doesn't fly now. ;D We always use camp grounds, we want to set up in the late afternoon and have happy hour before dinner. 10-12 hours on the road are definitely behind me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom