Where to spend the night on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mel s said:
Mooney
IMO you are overthinking it.
While traveling we've overnight in rest areas and truck stops... and, (after asking permission), in the parking lots of  Walmarts, Sams Clubs, churches, small airports, gas stations, hospitals, shopping centers and restaurants, as well as in police department and/or city hall parking lots.
Mel
'96 Safari, ('07 Saturn toad)
yeah, I probably am.  But, really appreciate the advice from everyone.  At least I have the app for flying J and Pilot fuel stops! lots of great advice!

txprimate said:
Don't put words in my mouth.  I said I would prefer a KOA.
If I wanted to find a forum to piss off, there are many more. Look one post up and read. Damnit, I am out of here if some 8k poster can't read.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I was merely trying to assist you and everyone else about not all WalMarts allow RV's. No need to come back on me the way you did. My intentions were in a positive nature. Maybe this is not the forum for you because we are always willing to help everyone whether you're a newbie or a seasoned RV'r. 

WOW, I must've missed something.  ;D ;D

I read TX's first post about being a newbie. Next I see Rene's post about some city ordinances. Next is TX JUMPING down Rene's throat.........What'd I miss?

It almost started looking like a thread on irv2.com. ::)

malexander said:
WOW, I must've missed something.  ;D ;D

I read TX's first post about being a newbie. Next I see Rene's post about some city ordinances. Next is TX JUMPING down Rene's throat.........What'd I miss?

It almost started looking like a thread on irv2.com. ::)

He may have just got up on the wrong side of the bed today yesterday.

Greetings,

I for one always appreciate Rene T's posts and informative answers and help. Sometimes people can take a post the wrong way. Keep on posting Rene T and thanks for your input!

To OP (to stay on topic) I'd figure out how many miles I wanted to travel in a day, then figure out about where you will be, then take a look at RV Park Reviews to select a campground in that area. It worked really well for me on our latest trip. Others have given good advise as well. I will try some of those suggestions myself later on.

Rene T said:
He may have just got up on the wrong side of the bed today yesterday.

You are correct, maam, or sir, and I apologize.  I took your reply completely wrong. I have been on the wrong side of the bed so often lately, dealing w sciatica. Some nights I self medicate too much.

I want to apologize to everybody on this thread, and site. I would like to hang around, and meet some of you on the road. Pain can make a man do stupid things, and in my case, make my mind not right.

Hopefully, after this mornings steroid injection into my spine, things will get smoother for the next year or two. The last epidural lasted almost 3.

Once again, very sorry, I was in an angry, pain induced mood, I promise to play nice.

txprimate said:
You are correct, maam, or sir, and I apologize.  I took your reply completely wrong. I have been on the wrong side of the bed so often lately, dealing w sciatica. Some nights I self medicate too much.

I want to apologize to everybody on this thread, and site. I would like to hang around, and meet some of you on the road. Pain can make a man do stupid things, and in my case, make my mind not right.

Hopefully, after this mornings steroid injection into my spine, things will get smoother for the next year or two. The last epidural lasted almost 3.

Once again, very sorry, I was in an angry, pain induced mood, I promise to play nice.

No problem. We all have bad days. Let's start over. Welcome to the forum.
BTW, I am a guy the last time I looked.  :eek: ::) ;D :D ;)

txprimate said:

Well played, and no worries!  I for one appreciate the input.  ;D

We often use Flying Js or Walmarts when we in a hurry to get somewhere and were just looking for a place to sleep, and head out early.  But when we were on our touring trips, we most often would use our Passport America membership, stop mid to late afternoon, have a leisurely supper and take the toad for a drive to see the local scenery.  Rene, as for Walmarts out west, I can't recall any that routinely prohibited overnights like we see here in the east.
    However, if you have never driven to Monument Valley, you may want to slow down and take in some of the great areas that you will be travelling through.  It is a spectacular place with all kinds things to see. 
    As an afterthought, you might want to check to see where the BLM boondocking sites are located along the way.  A minimal fee will give you a fair access time to camp.

Ed

Mooney...or anyone else...take a look at www.poi-factory.com. They have numerous lists of POIs you can download to your GPS. Almost all are free, except for a few like one for Red light cameras, which have a small fee. For our trip to Maryland last October, I downloaded lists for WalMart, Sam's, Costco, Discount Tire, Cracker Barrel, animal hospitals (for our Lab Presley), and even one for low ground clearance RR crossings. We also have listings for Flying J, TA Petro, Love's, Pilot and Wilco. We also carried copies of The Next Exit, The Walmart Atlas, and also one for dump stations. The WalMart info came in handy in that we could call ahead and check on overnighting and where to park. It made it a lot less stressful, knowing we had a place to stay and shop, if need be, and how much further we had to drive. I always personally  thanked the manager at each WalMart for their hospitality.

Hfx_Cdn said:
Rene, as for Walmarts out west, I can't recall any that routinely prohibited overnights like we see here in the east.

Ed, I haven't  stayed in many Walmart's here in the east. We typically have our stops all planned out every year going and returning from FL and stay at the same one's every year. Every one I've checked to see if they allowed it, they did. I'm sure they are out there though.

Mooney, in the vicinity of Monument Valley, if you don't mind boondocking, Google "Goosenecks State Park".  Absolutely nothing there but some tables and fire rings, and the awesome San Juan River valley.
You can see several of the spires from Monument Valley on the horizon.

Old_Crow said:
Mooney, in the vicinity of Monument Valley, if you don't mind boondocking, Google "Goosenecks State Park".  Absolutely nothing there but some tables and fire rings, and the awesome San Juan River valley.
You can see several of the spires from Monument Valley on the horizon.
On it!  Great tip, thanks!

Rene T said:
No problem. We all have bad days. Let's start over. Welcome to the forum.
BTW, I am a guy the last time I looked.  :eek: ::) ;D :D ;)

With both names in your sig line, I figured it could be either one. Unless this is Buddy on line.

txprimate said:
With both names in your sig line, I figured it could be either one. Unless this is Buddy on line.

No it's Rene and pronounced like "rainy".  Right Bill? That's a private joke with a local photographer nut.

Buddy is our new 6 month old Chihuahua puppy.

Rene T said:
No it's Rene and pronounced like "rainy".  Right Bill? That's a private joke with a local photographer nut.

Buddy is our new 6 month old Chihuahua puppy.

Yes, I guesses Buddy was a dog. Did not guess "rainy", I thought  ren knee ...My granddaughter is named for grandmother, Renae. ren ay.
And i thought it could be Rene, or Lucille, not that I thought about your name being either one. And Buddy? I am a dog lover.

txprimate said:
Yes, I guesses Buddy was a dog. Did not guess "rainy", I thought  ren knee ...My granddaughter is named for grandmother, Renae. ren ay.
And i thought it could be Rene, or Lucille, not that I thought about your name being either one. And Buddy? I am a dog lover.

What a coincidence. The guy Bill  (the photographer) I mentioned, his DW is also name Renae.

So, I have just about finished the installation for the towing of our "toad".  Just waiting for the Break away, which apparently is on back order.  I plan on replacing the serpentine belt this weekend as I do not know how old this one is, and will use this one as the spare.  Other than that, I need to put together a "tool" kit and do a service on the generator. ( don't know why I forgot about that) Everything else has been looked at, touched, or replaced as needed.  The shake down trip a month or so ago went well, even if it was only a couple hundred miles.  We're actually beginning to get a bit excited at the prospect of Monument Valley next month. Thanks to everyone for the tips and sites for information!

Mooney 78865 said:
So, I have just about finished the installation for the towing of our "toad".  Just waiting for the Break away, which apparently is on back order.  I plan on replacing the serpentine belt this weekend as I do not know how old this one is, and will use this one as the spare.  Other than that, I need to put together a "tool" kit and do a service on the generator. ( don't know why I forgot about that) Everything else has been looked at, touched, or replaced as needed.  The shake down trip a month or so ago went well, even if it was only a couple hundred miles.  We're actually beginning to get a bit excited at the prospect of Monument Valley next month. Thanks to everyone for the tips and sites for information!

If you have any spare time, I'd recommend a side trip to the Navajo National Monument,  an hour from Monument Valley. There are tours if you are reasonably fit, check it out at the link below.....

https://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom