OEM speed limitations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheesehead52

Just purchased a 2017 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with a manual trans. Nissan says okay to tow 4 down up to 60 MPH and to idle for several minutes every 500 miles to circulate fluids.  I'm wondering what the possible issues could be if I tow it faster than 60MPH, other than the obvious safety stuff? Anyone have an idea?

Hard to tell, but a number of manufacturers have similar (or lower) limits. I think it's a CYA for the manufacturers.

The problem with 4-down towing is heat in the drivetrain and inadequate lubrication. Keeping the speed down is one way to alleviate those. Chances are that exceeding the recommended limits won't have any noticeable effect in most situations, but at some extreme of air & road temperature, driving conditions, etc. the transmission, axles and 4WD transfer case may get excessively hot. Whether that means immediate breakdown or merely a somewhat shortened lifespan is open to conjecture.

FWIW, I towed a Chevy Tracker with a 55 mph and 200 mile towing limit for over 30k miles, ignoring the 55 in favor of 60-65 mph. We ran the engine at 200 or so miles if it was convenient to do so, but never made stops just for that purpose. Maybe it shortened the tranny & transfer case life, but I was never aware of it during the 55k miles we owned the vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom