Replacing Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckrv

I need to replace the roof on our motorhome, and was wondering if anyone has used Superflex Roofing instead of EPDM? It seems to be the better choice?

here is the description.
Lightweight - get better gas mileage (.165lbs/sq ft. compared to EPDM at .29 lbs/sq ft.)
Does not chalk (won't turn side of unit gray)
Stronger - won't puncture as easily like EPDM
Can be easily repaired
Stretches easier so you can get a perfect tight fit
Better traction with a non-skid surface
Color is same throughout substrate
Will not shrink or crack (100% solids sealant)
.028 Thick

I was also thinking of building curbs for all the vents and ac to sit on I was thinking of using a 1X6 and ripping an angle on one edge to the center for that would give you a flat for the vent to sit on and a good transition to the roof, and thoughts on this?

Superflex is Alpha System's latest membrane product and an upgrade from their EPDM product. It's an enhanced olefin (TPO) product and shares the advantages of TPO over EPDM.    Probably an excellent choice but I have no experience with it to relate to you.
http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/Product/Detail/22?producttypeid=1

You might also consider Dicor's latest, called Diflex II.
https://dicorproducts.com/product/diflex-ii-tpo-roofing-2/#overview

TPO and related olefin membranes are generally superior to EPDM. They don't chalk, are easier to clean, and generally more resistant to damage.

Good read! I will be tackling the same job as well. I have briefly heard of TPO and glad I ran across this. Thanks!!

Thanks, Gary
any opinions on the curbs for skylights and AC?

Curbs might reduce the propensity for leaks around openings a bit, but you still need a reliable caulk/sealer at the edge. You will still have a flat surface where a skylight lays on the roof, even if it is raised 3/4" above the rest of the roof. And that flat seam will leak if not sealed properly, and maintained over the years. A raised curb reduces pooling around the opening, but I don't think pooling itself is a significant concern. If the seal is tight, a pool of water doesn't make any difference; if the seal is not tight it's gonna leak anyway. Maybe not as much if on a raised curb, but it's still a leak.

I guess I would go ahead and build in the raised curb if I was replacing the roof anyway.  I see no downside to doing that as long as the curb is broad enough for the flange on whatever mounts upon it. You could do that for plumbing vents, a/c units, antennas, etc. as well.

my 2 cents about the curb.....
is exactly what Gary said
except to add that by curb I'm imagining that you are saying to raise or elevate the entire mounting surface of the ac, vent, etc... so that the gasket/sealing surface is flat AND higher than the surrounding roof.

If, on the other hand you mean to make a curb around the fixture, to create a dam or dike around it, then I would think this a bad idea.  Seems like it would only serve to hold the water in.

I have wondered if faced with having to replace the roof, why not consider fiber glassing or covering with aluminum?  They would seem like more durable options. 

Yes raising the entire mounting surface. Replacing with aluminum or fiberglass is beyond my skill set and budget.

So-called fiberglass roofs are pretty simple - they just use a thin & flexible fiberglass material instead of EDPM or TPO. Ditto for aluminum. You still end up with seams at the edges and openings through the middle, both of which require sealant of some kind.

I would use TPO if replacing an EPDM roof. It runs about $11 per linear foot in a 9 ft width. EPDM is only a dollar or two cheaper, and the TPO requires less care going forward.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/roof/tpo-roofing/tpo-95b40.htm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom