Gold Crown Trailer tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moorer2

I am about to repack the bearings and replace the tires on my travel trailer.  The RV dealship that I usually use is trying to sell me a tire called "Gold Crown".  I've never heard of them and there is not a single review on the internet that I can find about them.  I'm sure they are made in China.  I'm looking for something that I can rely on for a 4000 mile trip.  The new Goodyear Endurance is available and is American Made.  Anyone have experience with this tire.  I realize that it has only been available since January 2017, but I'd like to know if anyone has some thoughts.  Thanks!--Roy

What size?
Two places I would never buy tires from, RV dealers and Automotive dealers.  Buy your tires from a reputable national tire chain like Discount tires.  Not only do you get warrenty coverage, but better service, wider selection of products, and usually better prices.
BTW, there is no way I would buy a off brand tire made in China when there are good brands on the market.  If your trailer has 16 inch wheels, and depending on your trailers axle ratings I would suggest a LT tire any day of the week.

donn,  Tire size is 225/75/R15.  I did check out Distcout Tires and I'm NOT buying the china bombs.  Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate it!

It?s not uncommon for businesses that provide tires to the public to want the tires to have their own brand name on them. The China tire manufacturers are willing and able to provid tires with whatever name brand a purchaser wants to display on the tires? sidewalls. One large retailer that comes to mind is Discount Tires with their ?Provider? name brand.

You can look on the ?Gold Crown? sidewall and find the plant code where the tires were made and then find out what other brands that plant builds.

A ST tire is just that, a ST tire. Some brand names have better reputations than others just as some have below average reputations. They all get certified the same way.

Here is a reference to use to find a particular tire plant and its location.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm 

In your size Maxxis or Salun would be the top two picks

After much consideration, I decided to give the new Goodyear Endurance tire a try.  It is made in the USA and thought I would give it a go.  I did buy from Discount Tire and that was an easy process.  I will have them mounted on the trailer next week and I will give them about a 4000 mile road test soon.  I will report my experience with them.  I appreciate everyone's feedback.  --Roy

I think that you made a good choice.  The Endurance is new and only time will tell if there are problems, but I think Goodyear finally learned their lesson about China.  Goodyear made trailer tires in the USA and then moved production to China and junk was produced.  They moved it back to The USA for a short period of time, but the siren call of cheap labor soon sent it back to China.  Maybe now they will stay here and produce a good product.

I will also be replacing my tow dolly tires with Goodyear Endurance this week, from Discount Tire.
The original Chinese "Hi-Run" tires were never balanced and are showing uneven tread wear. They've always been properly inflated. They did last 12,000 miles though.
I'm having the new tires balanced.

Back
Top Bottom