HELP NEEDED: Truck Campers for fultiming? Models, considerations, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I were a single man I'd buy a TC or camper van in a heartbeat. I need little space to live in. Most of my time I spend working on the computer or outside enjoying nature. I'd love the freedom to be able to go to spots other RVers aren't able to get to. It's freedom. Also a smaller space would be easier to heat or cool. I believe that's what the OP wants too. However as a married man it wouldn't work well for us. My wife wants to go to those places too but for her room is more important. Which is fine because there are a lot or beautiful places we can go in a larger setup.

I can't imagine trying to full time in that small a space. DW and I used to use a class C. It was great for a long weekend. It was adequate for a two week week trip. It was barely ok for a three week trip. Then, I retired. We set off on a six week trip, that about drove us nuts. At one point, we had three successive days of heavy rain. Talk about cabin fever. We came home, and bought a truck and 5th wheel.

The TC is not the only way to get off road. There are a few rugged, off road RVs made. See http://www.pddoc.com/camp/mini003.htm, or for the ultimate. see the Unicats https://www.unicat.net/en/index.php.

Joel

My wife and I are considering a truck camper also , for long time outs on the road . You could tow a small hard shell trailer behind for carry tools and other heavy hardware needed to cope with everyday life. Good luck and have fun , hopefulrver

We just returned from our maiden voyage in our new truck camper we will be full timing in at the end of this year and was a rousing success.  We found it provided all the room we really need, we were comfortable and happy, even with our two big Akitas.  We had two other campers want to take a look of our TC, one who is considering the make/model we have and another who was curious.  Both were skeptical about full timing in a TC.  When they came in they were completely blown away and could not believe the space provided with the three slides.  One said "I get it now" the other a full timing couple wanting to downsize from their 5th wheel, sent his wife over, saying she needs to see this and now they are looking to buy.  We are fortunate enough to have 3-slides which is what we felt we needed for our F/T travels, but there are others full timing in double, single and no slides TC's that make it work and enjoy it, hell there are folks full timing in class B's and we have more space in our TC than any of the class B's we have seen.  Granted it is not for everybody, but 5th wheels, Class A's, C's & B's are not for everyone either. To the OP it can be done if it is important enough to you. It comes down to what is the most important thing for your needs?  In our case it was more mobility and we have found we get that in our TC with minimal sacrifice to space.  Good luck in your journey.

One concern I have about the big slide truck campers is their high center of gravity.  Raise the floor level a couple of feet above the truck bed so the slides can clear the bed rails, put it on a 4wd pickup that's taller than the 2wd version and unless you're carrying rocks for ballast in that basement compartment, things can get tippy in a hurry.  Even if you beef up the suspension, all that means is you won't get a lot of body lean before things go south.

Then there's the basic structure of the platform.  A truck camper rests on a 4 ft. wide footprint in the truck bed, limited by the space between the wheel wells.  A conventional Class A or Class C is supported across the entire width of the body.  Basically, the only thing that keeps a tall truck camper from rolling out of the bed are the tie downs, which pull downwards instead of providing support.

If I wanted a rig to take back into the boonies, I think I'd look at a conventional trailer that contains the essentials needed to support a full time lifestyle and could be left behind as a base camp.  Then put a smaller and lighter camper on the truck, maybe even a pop-top model.

But that's just me.

A legitimate concern Lou and one I had as well.  After talking with several owners of these multi slide TC's about my concerns, did we feel comfortable enough to make the purchase.  Now having driven with our TC I can say, I notice the difference but not anywhere near the point of a white knuckle experience.  Driving conservatively, being mindful of the higher COG and weight make it a very doable drive.

Back
Top Bottom