EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 or V8 as a tow vehicle  (Read 1039 times)

Bar01

• ---
Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 or V8 as a tow vehicle
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:13:19 AM »
Would love to hear from those of you that are currently towing a camper with a Jeep Grand Cherokee whether it's a V6 or V8.  Especially what your camper's GVWR is and what kind of camper you have.  Would love to hear the pros/cons. 

Cant Wait

• ---
Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 or V8 as a tow vehicle
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »
It all depends on the Gross Weight of the camper you plan on towing.  With out that info it's a moot point as to if a V-6 or V-8 is better.  Another thing to consider also is the rear differential gearing.  If you can get a tow package with the 3.92:1 gearing you'll be able to tow more weight.
2012 Winnebago "Our Incredible Journey"  40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2005 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now
Home - Western NY

Bar01

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
Can't Wait - I see the GVWR in the 4-5k range.

Weiss

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
Check the diesel out also.  Use mine for towing my Jeep on a flatbed sometimes & it's great.
Jim & Anne Culp
Franklin WI
Nexus Ghost 36DS

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

jkgray22

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
I have a 2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee. I highly recommend it. Great fuel mileage, can be flat towed and can tow 7000 lbs on its own. I have almost 70,000 miles and love this diesel.

OBX

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »
I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee, V6, gas.  I have towed our TT from the East Coast out to Yellowstone, down through  and into the mountains of Colorado and into New Mexico and it towed like a dream.  I have also towed with it down to the Keys and back plus a lot of regional trips. 

I tow in sport mode.  It never hunts for gears.  I watch the oil and transmission temps and they always seem to stay in what I consider a safe range. 

My trailer has dual axles with a little bit of space between the axles.  I have a WD hitch that uses friction bars.  The TT sits nice and level.  I don't experience any porpoising and the TT tracks nicely with the TV.

Your experience may be different depending on the TT you get and your hitch set up.

Bar01

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »
OBX - can you tell me what your TT's GVWR is?

OBX

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
I believe it is 7k, the UVW is about 5k.  Typical running weight for me is about 5.7-6k.  I like how it tows the best when the fresh water tank is 3/4 to full.  My understanding and I could be wrong is that the only difference in Grand Cherokees is the engine as the other components are the same.  The factory tow package which I have adds a heavier duty alternator and some other features.  I have driven through extreme weather, made hard stops and climbed steep mountains comfortably and in keeping with towing a TT.  I have no complaints.  Your experience may be entirely different.

Bar01

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »
Thanks OBX.

USMCGunner

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 11:44:04 PM »
OBX, I have the same Jeep and getting ready to buy a trailer this week. I too am concerned about the numbers and practical performance. I dropped a 25 footer (29 total) on it today without a weight distribution hitch (just to try it) and it barely sagged. The front raised only a 1/4 of an inch. The numbers only put 515 on the hitch. I was impressed. But I am still concerned about actual performance. We've found the perfect trailer for our needs. It's a 4,880 pounder bunk house style. But all of the comments I find are from no Jeep GC owners with the latest models. (No offense guys)

Can you provide a picture or two of your setup? Potentially some more data on your rig too? I would hate to make this purchase only to find out I can't tow it. I'd be happy to provide my email if that makes it easier.

Thanks,

Scott

OBX

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
Scott, check your PM.

A couple other notes, I have the tow package and a trailer brake controller.

Scott

biggersm

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »
Does a Grand Cherokee allow a WD hitch to be used?  I know that at least one manufacturer does not recommend it.  Than again maybe it is the Volkswagen Toaureg.  Than again maybe it is just something stuck in my brain. 

Those WD hitches add several extra minutes to hitching up but it sure is nice to ride level and never have any sway.
Mike and Marcia
Flagstaff T21DMHW
Toyota Highlander
Honda Goldwing

Hosted by Over The Network