Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 or V8 as a tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bar01

Would love to hear from those of you that are currently towing a camper with a Jeep Grand Cherokee whether it's a V6 or V8.  Especially what your camper's GVWR is and what kind of camper you have.  Would love to hear the pros/cons. 

It all depends on the Gross Weight of the camper you plan on towing.  With out that info it's a moot point as to if a V-6 or V-8 is better.  Another thing to consider also is the rear differential gearing.  If you can get a tow package with the 3.92:1 gearing you'll be able to tow more weight.

I have a 2014 Diesel Grand Cherokee. I highly recommend it. Great fuel mileage, can be flat towed and can tow 7000 lbs on its own. I have almost 70,000 miles and love this diesel.

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee, V6, gas.  I have towed our TT from the East Coast out to Yellowstone, down through  and into the mountains of Colorado and into New Mexico and it towed like a dream.  I have also towed with it down to the Keys and back plus a lot of regional trips. 

I tow in sport mode.  It never hunts for gears.  I watch the oil and transmission temps and they always seem to stay in what I consider a safe range. 

My trailer has dual axles with a little bit of space between the axles.  I have a WD hitch that uses friction bars.  The TT sits nice and level.  I don't experience any porpoising and the TT tracks nicely with the TV.

Your experience may be different depending on the TT you get and your hitch set up.

I believe it is 7k, the UVW is about 5k.  Typical running weight for me is about 5.7-6k.  I like how it tows the best when the fresh water tank is 3/4 to full.  My understanding and I could be wrong is that the only difference in Grand Cherokees is the engine as the other components are the same.  The factory tow package which I have adds a heavier duty alternator and some other features.  I have driven through extreme weather, made hard stops and climbed steep mountains comfortably and in keeping with towing a TT.  I have no complaints.  Your experience may be entirely different.

OBX, I have the same Jeep and getting ready to buy a trailer this week. I too am concerned about the numbers and practical performance. I dropped a 25 footer (29 total) on it today without a weight distribution hitch (just to try it) and it barely sagged. The front raised only a 1/4 of an inch. The numbers only put 515 on the hitch. I was impressed. But I am still concerned about actual performance. We've found the perfect trailer for our needs. It's a 4,880 pounder bunk house style. But all of the comments I find are from no Jeep GC owners with the latest models. (No offense guys)

Can you provide a picture or two of your setup? Potentially some more data on your rig too? I would hate to make this purchase only to find out I can't tow it. I'd be happy to provide my email if that makes it easier.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, check your PM.

A couple other notes, I have the tow package and a trailer brake controller.

Scott

Does a Grand Cherokee allow a WD hitch to be used?  I know that at least one manufacturer does not recommend it.  Than again maybe it is the Volkswagen Toaureg.  Than again maybe it is just something stuck in my brain. 

Those WD hitches add several extra minutes to hitching up but it sure is nice to ride level and never have any sway.

OBX I have a 2015 Grand with the v6 and 8 speed... book says 6200.  I have the tow package. Seems this combo always wants to rev very high without shifting. Is your the ZF 8 speed?

I tow in sport mode.  The shifting seems more than reasonable for the load I am towing.  There are occasions where I back off the throttle for it to downshift but that is usually on a long incline where I'm hammering pretty hard.  I rev it high when I want to maintain higher speeds towing which would be over 65.  65 and under the RPMs are typically midrange.  The combination works well for me but everyone has there own experiences and preferences.  I have no expectation of getting into 8th gear when towing in most driving conditions.  In steep, long inclines I expect to keep up with or be able to pass trucks and that has always been the case.  Acceleration is reasonable for me and torque feels good.  I would like more top end power when passing at speed when towing but that is not a deal breaker for me.  I have been out to the Rockies twice from the East Coast and down to the Florida Keys and a ton of trips in between.  I like how my combination drives.  I compromised between daily driver mileage V6 and V8 power because I have a long commute.

Hi OBX, I have the same Jeep and am looking at towing a trailer as well. For the next several years it will be my tow vehicle so I reed to get a trailer that will safely do the job.  Could you give me any details on the trailer length and weight? PM me if you prefer. 

Hi ETS.  I did a lot of research and comparison of SUVs and trailers at the time.  I even called Chrysler Jeep.  You should do the same so that you are comfortable with the "numbers".  You can learn a lot about the numbers by the experts on this site by doing a search.

My trailer is listed as 23' but measures out at an actual 26' from tip to tip.  I have dual axles that have a fair distance between them.  My trailer sits nice and high.  Between its natural stance, the axles, the WDH and the Jeep the combo tow very nicely (for me).  Everyone has their own comfort levels and preferences.

You may find what you like under 23' in weights that make sense. Not every trailer will tow and sit the same so it may a bit of trial and error. 

Thanks OBX, I?lol do that. Can i ask which trailer you tow, it will give me a good example of what?s possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom