increase towing capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopefulrver

Is there any way to increase towing capacity of a vehicle? Not looking for a lot,just as a safety margin.  Looking at a Ridgeline AWD.

NO  in your case towing capacity is set by the engineers at the factory and cannot be changed unless you have an engineer recertify which would cost more than the Ridgeline is worth. A Ridgeline is not a tow vehicle in the first place and was never designed as such. Hugely popular but towing is not its thing, sorry.

Brakes, cooling, gear ratios, suspension, frame and hitch are a few of the considerations.

I'm sure somebody can tell you how to do it, but I doubt it's economical.

You're restricted primarily by your engine/tranny/gear ratio, and the design of the frame/suspension.

Minor things can be done to change the feel or stability, but that doesn't increase the tow capacity.

Upgrading the TV or downgrading the trailer seems to me to be the only realistic plan. 

As the others have said, the tow capacity was set based on an engineering evaluation of several factors. Without know what the weakest (most limited) component is, you have no way of determining what to improve, even assuming that an improvement is practical.

However, be aware that the limit is not in any sense absolute. The vehicle doesn't break just because you exceed the limit by 1 lb, or even 100 lbs. Nor is it foolproof simply because you stayed 1 lb under the limit. Mechanical stress and wear & tear are on a continuum and don't magically change from OK to Not OK at a single point. The tow limit represents an engineer's judgment of a point where an average driver with a typical production vehicle, driving in typical conditions,  begins to suffer more than average mechanical stress & wear. There is inevitably a lot of "windage" in that estimate.

Also be aware that there is no promise that you will like driving the vehicle even when staying within the tow limit.  Being within the vehicle's mechanical tolerances doesn't guarantee a no-white knuckles experience, especially if road or weather conditions get poor.

The ridgeline I believe has a unibody car frame, so it would only be rated to tow as much as say a minivan or similar. I read reviews on them when they first came out. The review title was, "Why ridgelines wont be showing up at construction sites near you". Although they have the appearance of a light truck, they do not have the frame.

NO DUMMY HERE GUYS. understand the limits on weights and force of nature. haven't bought any towing vehicle yet,but not leaving no stone unturned. Any trailer bought will be small and light in weight. Just me and the honey. Only vehicle test drove so far is the dodge Durango. Liked it, but would like a open bed for dirty and bulky items for home improvement projects.

a Ridgeline is basically a Japanese El Camino,  it's not a truck.

Thank you for clarifying that you do understand weight limits and the laws of physics!  So many folks do not!!

As Steve and Gary and others said, there is really no way to increase the tow capacity that is worth the cost.  The Ridgeline is what it is.  Tony's description of a modern Japanese designed El Camino is great!

For weekend DIY projects, it is fine.  For a daily driver, it is fine.  For a weekend get away with your honey and an appropriate size camper, it is fine.

If you want to pull a 8,000# TT or a small FW  NO WAY!

That last line is to future readers, not the OP!  He already knows better!

already figured max uvw would be pushing it at 3500 lb. Found a couple of floor plans we like in the 32 to33 range. , but considering all basic half ton trucks except GM only rated at 5000. unless you start adding options , the only advantage is cost. However my really like the way the Ridgeline rides and drives. Is this a case where " if mom ain't happy nobody's happy?

If mom is dead, she wont be too happy either. Modern half tons ride pretty smooth, and most will tow close to 10000 lbs. Get a crew cab and she will love the extra space to pack stuff into.

I once bought a truck load of watermelons for fifty cents each, brought them home and sold 2 for a dollar. I said I didn't make any money
I'll give you the same answer that my wife gave me. :)
GET A BIGGER TRUCK
Marvin

You cannot tow a TT as long as you are thinking with a Ridgeline without risking your family.  Get a real truck. Sorry

I have found over the years and with several different vehicles, that when you start to get close to the weight limits, or exceed them.... comfort and handling really suffer. 
It will be a struggle to get up to speed in acceleration lanes on the highway.
increased "pucker factor" for emergency stops
quality of ride goes down
road wander and driver's fatigue goes up.

If you were to give it a try, and then start applying band-aid fixes to whichever issues are your biggest concern,
    like say for example you can live with the underpowered performance but suspension issues and handling give you the most concern....so you make some suspension upgrades
      I'd imagine that you might just maybe get it to a point that you might consider ok, but it still likely wouldn't be as safe for your family ..... and for me driving on the road beside you....as properly sized rig would be.

Additionally, even if you could "beef up " the Ridgeline adequately it would no longer drive and handle like a Ridgeline.
Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom