Tow Vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gingypa

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to move up from a tent and purchase our first RV and are unsure what to get.  A little background, I have towed boats before, including a pontoon boat, but nothing as heavy as a travel trailer.  Our current tow vehicle is a '15 Jeep Cherokee, v6, with the tow package and it is rated to be able to pull up to 4500lbs.  We are not looking to replace the vehicle so we want to get the right type of RV.  We have looked at pop ups, hybrids and travel trailers.  The heaviest travel trailer we looked at is rated at 2900 lbs dry / 3500 lbs GVWR.  We are leaning more towards the hybrid or travel trailer for the full bathroom (did I mention we have two daughters and the oldest is about to be a teenager).  We love to camp, but we are also thinking that this would replace reserving hotels when we like to take weekend, or longer, trips to places within a 6-8 hour drive. 

Are we pushing the limits of our tow vehicle?  I had it in for maintenance and the mechanic confirmed the tow weight and thought that we would be ok, but we would need to replace the transmission fluid more often.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Frank

Use the trailer GVWR as the estimated tow weight. You don't tow it "dry" or empty and most trailers run close to their max loaded weight when in actual use.

Your tow vehicle also has to carry passengers and gear, including a tow hitch. All of that detracts from the max tow capacity as well. Therefore you need to stay with a trailer under 4500 lb GVWR, preferably 4000 or less to leave carrying capacity for those two daughters.

the heaviest trailer you are looking at is ok to tow 3500 gvwr gives you some room for passengers and other camping gear

Back
Top Bottom