AAA RV vs Good Sam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willh2o

Hi,

Considering that we should probably get either AAA RV or Good Sam. Interested in thoughts, reasons, pros / cons, suggestions, experiences... We have Progressive insurance on our RV and USAA on our cars.

Thanks,

Sandra

I loved having AAA, but your not covered in all 50 states with them. GS you are. AAA does not cover RV's in New England.

AAA coverage for RV's is iffy, Not all states
Good Sam's covers all states
Both use contract service providers, in many cases the same providers.

One thing most do not know is AAA does not pay the service providers all that well so you often get "2nd class" response (Oh the service, is that provider's normal level but AAA calls come AFTER "Paying" customers you see) so wait time for service can be quite long.

Unless...Like me,,, You happen to have an unlisted phone number at the AAA call center.

(But I don't have AAA any more)

My insurance provides a excellent roadside assistance coverage. USAA. Good for all of my vehicles for an extra $2.00 a month.

AAA RV+Plus does not cover watercraft - so if you tow a boat or jet skis, they stay on the side of the road.

Mile High said:
AAA RV+Plus does not cover watercraft - so if you tow a boat or jet skis, they stay on the side of the road.
USAA covers everything they insure for roadside assistance. Boats are not included but all trailers are. I use BoatUS for the boat.

markandkim said:
USAA covers everything they insure for roadside assistance. Boats are not included but all trailers are. I use BoatUS for the boat.
Yes, and GS, Allstate, most others cover boats on trailers, but for some reason AAA has exception for any watercraft on a trailer.  How I picked the only company in the world that would leave my boat on the highway and tow off the tow vehicle, I'll never now, but I fixed that the next day :)

Thanks for all the input. I am continuing to do research. Found out our Progressive.com/USAA includes some RV Roadside assistance. Anyone have any personal experience with them? It would be nice not to have to pay anything further, but don't want to be left out holding the coach with no decent coverage.

Sandra

You'll get about what you pay for! Look at Coachnet or possibly Good Sam. Either will be on the order of $100 per year and I have verified that, at least with Coachnet, you do get what you pay for (and that's important when disabled on the side of the road in the midfle of nowhere).

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
You'll get about what you pay for! Look at Coachnet or possibly Good Sam. Either will be on the order of $100 per year and I have verified that, at least with Coachnet, you do get what you pay for (and that's important when disabled on the side of the road in the midfle of nowhere).

Ernie
I think we are getting mixed up here between RV insurance and RV Roadside Assistance.  I don't believe Coach Net sells RV comprehensive/liability/collision type insurance but if you are looking for just Roadside Assistance, Coach Net is my  5 Star recommendation.  They also have a variety of other RV type specialty coverages - tires, etc.

Bill

Years ago our Class C had a weak starter battery. Called AAA and they would not come out for an RV..Called again and told them our VAN had a dead battery and they came right out. The driver hesitated when she saw the VAN had a motorhome attached to it. She called her boss..and I guess he wanted to get paid so they jumped us...AAA is only good for DMV services and free maps I'm afraid.......We now have GS but have not needed them.....yet!

I have AAA.  I had a dead chassis battery last year and AAA came to the camp site and gave me a jump.  No problem.  I do have the RV membership and not the regular membership
John 2004 Afla See Ya 40' DP

Ernie n Tara said:

Ernie

I have been considering Coachnet, but it is $235/year the first year and $169/year thereafter.  Comparing it to the cost of Good Sam the first year is almost identical if you have Good Sam Roadside Assist for $150 and Travel Assist for $100, both of which are included in the CoachNet coverage.  Neither of these are tire/wheel replacement. They both only summon a tire repair service, but the cost for the tire and service is your responsibility.  Good Sam offers a tire warranty service for ~$70.  It is good to hear positive feedback on Coachnet, but I wonder if such service is uniform across the US.

Many years ago (so things change and may not be relevant) had Good Sam on 40' motorhome. Had to be towed 3 times (two I got stuck and so were basically 50' tows, one was a 50+ mile tow in Canada). Was very happy with the response and no surprises money-wise, 100% covered.

This does though bring a point to mind I haven't previously considered. Currently have a motorhome and have relied on, but haven't had to use, Geico RV coverage. Thinking of a switch to a fifth wheel. What's the situation with the fifth wheel if the tow vehicle breaks down?

It is good to hear positive feedback on Coachnet, but I wonder if such service is uniform across the US.

So far as I know, it is as uniform as the service companies in the local area permit. One thing rarely mentioned about CoachNet is the RV techs who can provide help to tell you how to do somethings yourself, and that it's a LOT more than just towing. We had a generator go out when boondocking, and they went out of their way to find a mobile service tech for us. And there was no charge to us for the service call (actually he came out twice).

And the first thing they asked when I called was whether we were in a safe place.

Good Sam might be similar, but I don't know -- few are.

Larry N. said:
... One thing rarely mentioned about CoachNet is the RV techs who can provide help to tell you how to do somethings yourself, and that it's a LOT more than just towing. We had a generator go out when boondocking, and they went out of their way to find a mobile service tech for us. And there was no charge to us for the service call (actually he came out twice).

I noticed that.  I could have used this qualified online help more than once.

Good Sam's Roadside Service plan is operated by Allstate Motor Club currently, but unless they've extended the contract, it expires next year. If that's the case, there's no telling who they'll use after that. Before Allstate, they were using the lower rated Road America for their service. Coach-Net was created in 1987 by the folks at National Motor Club specifically for RV coverage, and uses their own vetted provider list. If nothing's changed, both Coach-Net and Good Sam/Allstate cover you anywhere within 100' of an improved road, including Forest Service and campground roads.

Back
Top Bottom