EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: AAA RV vs Good Sam  (Read 3558 times)

willh2o

• ---
AAA RV vs Good Sam
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:14:14 AM »
Hi,

Considering that we should probably get either AAA RV or Good Sam. Interested in thoughts, reasons, pros / cons, suggestions, experiences... We have Progressive insurance on our RV and USAA on our cars.

Thanks,

Sandra
Sandra
"Harvey" '04 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
"Pup" '01 Chevy Tracker

markandkim

• ---
Re: AAA RV vs Good Sam
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:35:23 AM »
I loved having AAA, but your not covered in all 50 states with them. GS you are. AAA does not cover RV's in New England.
Mark and Kim
Swansea, MA.
2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn crew 5.7
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL

USN Retired

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 07:01:28 AM »
AAA coverage for RV's is iffy, Not all states
Good Sam's covers all states
Both use contract service providers, in many cases the same providers.

One thing most do not know is AAA does not pay the service providers all that well so you often get "2nd class" response (Oh the service, is that provider's normal level but AAA calls come AFTER "Paying" customers you see) so wait time for service can be quite long.

Unless...Like me,,, You happen to have an unlisted phone number at the AAA call center.

(But I don't have AAA any more)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:37:44 AM »
Check into Coach-Net.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 07:45:07 AM »
If you are an FMCA member, they also offer a roadside assist package from the Saferide Motor Club.
https://www.fmca.com/benefits/fmca-roadassist.html
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

markandkim

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 08:28:13 AM »
My insurance provides a excellent roadside assistance coverage. USAA. Good for all of my vehicles for an extra $2.00 a month.
Mark and Kim
Swansea, MA.

USN Retired

Mile High

• ---
  • Lone Tree, CO
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:50:23 AM »
AAA RV+Plus does not cover watercraft - so if you tow a boat or jet skis, they stay on the side of the road.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238

markandkim

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
AAA RV+Plus does not cover watercraft - so if you tow a boat or jet skis, they stay on the side of the road.
USAA covers everything they insure for roadside assistance. Boats are not included but all trailers are. I use BoatUS for the boat.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:45:13 AM by markandkim »
Mark and Kim
Swansea, MA.

USN Retired

Mile High

• ---
  • Lone Tree, CO
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
USAA covers everything they insure for roadside assistance. Boats are not included but all trailers are. I use BoatUS for the boat.
Yes, and GS, Allstate, most others cover boats on trailers, but for some reason AAA has exception for any watercraft on a trailer.  How I picked the only company in the world that would leave my boat on the highway and tow off the tow vehicle, I'll never now, but I fixed that the next day :)
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238

willh2o

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I am continuing to do research. Found out our Progressive.com/USAA includes some RV Roadside assistance. Anyone have any personal experience with them? It would be nice not to have to pay anything further, but don't want to be left out holding the coach with no decent coverage.

Sandra
Sandra
"Harvey" '04 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
"Pup" '01 Chevy Tracker

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
You'll get about what you pay for! Look at Coachnet or possibly Good Sam. Either will be on the order of $100 per year and I have verified that, at least with Coachnet, you do get what you pay for (and that's important when disabled on the side of the road in the midfle of nowhere).

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 11:03:23 AM »
You'll get about what you pay for! Look at Coachnet or possibly Good Sam. Either will be on the order of $100 per year and I have verified that, at least with Coachnet, you do get what you pay for (and that's important when disabled on the side of the road in the midfle of nowhere).

Ernie
I think we are getting mixed up here between RV insurance and RV Roadside Assistance.  I don't believe Coach Net sells RV comprehensive/liability/collision type insurance but if you are looking for just Roadside Assistance, Coach Net is my  5 Star recommendation.  They also have a variety of other RV type specialty coverages - tires, etc.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

john owens

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
Years ago our Class C had a weak starter battery. Called AAA and they would not come out for an RV..Called again and told them our VAN had a dead battery and they came right out. The driver hesitated when she saw the VAN had a motorhome attached to it. She called her boss..and I guess he wanted to get paid so they jumped us...AAA is only good for DMV services and free maps I'm afraid.......We now have GS but have not needed them.....yet!
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

johnaye

• ---
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 05:09:27 PM »
I have AAA.  I had a dead chassis battery last year and AAA came to the camp site and gave me a jump.  No problem.  I do have the RV membership and not the regular membership
John 2004 Afla See Ya 40' DP
John and Becky
2004 Alfa See Ya DP
2008 Honda CRV

Experience comes from mistakes.  I have a lot of experience

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »

Ernie

I have been considering Coachnet, but it is $235/year the first year and $169/year thereafter.  Comparing it to the cost of Good Sam the first year is almost identical if you have Good Sam Roadside Assist for $150 and Travel Assist for $100, both of which are included in the CoachNet coverage.  Neither of these are tire/wheel replacement. They both only summon a tire repair service, but the cost for the tire and service is your responsibility.  Good Sam offers a tire warranty service for ~$70.  It is good to hear positive feedback on Coachnet, but I wonder if such service is uniform across the US.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Many years ago (so things change and may not be relevant) had Good Sam on 40' motorhome. Had to be towed 3 times (two I got stuck and so were basically 50' tows, one was a 50+ mile tow in Canada). Was very happy with the response and no surprises money-wise, 100% covered.

This does though bring a point to mind I haven't previously considered. Currently have a motorhome and have relied on, but haven't had to use, Geico RV coverage. Thinking of a switch to a fifth wheel. What's the situation with the fifth wheel if the tow vehicle breaks down?
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
It is good to hear positive feedback on Coachnet, but I wonder if such service is uniform across the US.

So far as I know, it is as uniform as the service companies in the local area permit. One thing rarely mentioned about CoachNet is the RV techs who can provide help to tell you how to do somethings yourself, and that it's a LOT more than just towing. We had a generator go out when boondocking, and they went out of their way to find a mobile service tech for us. And there was no charge to us for the service call (actually he came out twice).

And the first thing they asked when I called was whether we were in a safe place.

Good Sam might be similar, but I don't know -- few are.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »
AS I have foundout some insurance road service will not cover you on a private road or in a camp ground.
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
... One thing rarely mentioned about CoachNet is the RV techs who can provide help to tell you how to do somethings yourself, and that it's a LOT more than just towing. We had a generator go out when boondocking, and they went out of their way to find a mobile service tech for us. And there was no charge to us for the service call (actually he came out twice).

I noticed that.  I could have used this qualified online help more than once.
Joel from San Jose

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »
Good Sam's Roadside Service plan is operated by Allstate Motor Club currently, but unless they've extended the contract, it expires next year. If that's the case, there's no telling who they'll use after that. Before Allstate, they were using the lower rated Road America for their service. Coach-Net was created in 1987 by the folks at National Motor Club specifically for RV coverage, and uses their own vetted provider list. If nothing's changed, both Coach-Net and Good Sam/Allstate cover you anywhere within 100' of an improved road, including Forest Service and campground roads.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
I have Geico and when I had a blown tire a couple years ago, they sent someone in about 30 minutes, and even I didn't know exactly where we were. They covered the road assistance and the repairs from the blown tire very well.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
I have Geico and when I had a blown tire a couple years ago, they sent someone in about 30 minutes, and even I didn't know exactly where we were. They covered the road assistance and the repairs from the blown tire very well.

That's good to know. I was considering an 'add-on' roadside policy, but after two separate occasions where I spent 20+ minutes on the phone with Geico going over the details of the roadside assistance part of the policy, and comparing it point-by-point, about the only thing I could come up with was they sounded very squishy if you weren't on a publicly maintained road or in a private campground. Since I'm not very adventuresome "offroading" in the Dutch Star, I decided to take my chances the last 3 years.
Scott

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
Scott, I had a good experience with them.  They have a separate department that handles RVs.  But also, my DW was hit by lightning in Ocala, most of the electric systems were destroyed,  they cover all but our deductible. They paid more than $15,000 to the Ocala dealer.Both experiences have been very well handled.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
American Dolly
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »
Scott, I had a good experience with them.

That's good, and generally I've had good experience with them as well. I did have one claim denied which made me furious. The dollar amount involved was very small, it was the way they handled it. I had someone enter my rig when it was parked at a repair facility for an extended period. They took a weird variety of small thing - tshirt, electric razor, misc toiletries etc. A few hundred dollars. Items worth much more weren't touched. I filed a police report, and the facility stepped up and paid my deductible for a cracked window. Because the perpetrator didn't enter through the window and there was no evidence how they got in (apparently through a door the facility left unlocked), notwithstanding the police report they denied the claim. When I explained that literally every RV uses the same key for exterior compartments and everything in there could easily be stolen, they were unswayed. So, in essence, everything in the basement is uninsured.

It's on my to-do list to run the scenario by other companies to see how their language reads
Scott

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
Scott, I had a good experience with them.  They have a separate department that handles RVs.  But also, my DW was hit by lightning in Ocala, most of the electric systems were destroyed,  they cover all but our deductible. They paid more than $15,000 to the Ocala dealer.Both experiences have been very well handled.

Could you please clarify this? Assuming you were not insured with AAA, but not clear.  Are you saying that Good Sam paid for the damage to your rig from a lightning strike off of your Good Sam Insurance or your Good Sam Roadside Assistance?  It is important to make it clear amongst the 4 types of insurance that Good Sam offers which paid for this - 1 or 2 below:
1. Good Sam RV insurance (liability, comprehensive, collision, etc.) {guessing it was this}
2. Good Sam roadside assistance {possible partially from this?}
3. Good Sam Travel Assist {only for medical issues}
4. Good Sam Tire and Wheel Protection Plan {only for tires and wheels}

This string is mostly discussing items 2-4 relative to AAA, Coachnet etc.
Joel from San Jose

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »
Joel, you need to read my previous post.  I was talking about Geico.  The comment was meant to be that other insurance companies might cover what the OP is looking for.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
American Dolly
Snowbird 6 months/yr.