Changing AC filter opening size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaRenity16

IslandGuy said:
Mark

If you need a 14 x20 x 1" filter they are in stock at Home Depot...should be one close to you.

As to the filter size, my air intake under the sofa also requires 14x20x1. But the actual hole size for the intake is HALF that! Can someone explain why the opening size is so much larger than the hole? I've removed the sofa and plan to replace it with a desk top. That opening with its big filter is, frankly, in the way.

So what's to stop me from putting a 10x12 grille over that hole and have done with it?

Margaret

Proper air flow is #1 item for proper cooling.
It is common problem to find restricted return air due to small return and/or filter.
Our unit had a smaller return hole than we liked, along with a filter laying directly against the hole.
We were able to lift one end of the filter, held in place by a new frame, then install a 20x25 filter.
This way, we feel we have larger filter area with lower velocity through the filter equals better filtering, but still get higher air flow.
If you have a large filter laying flat against a small hole, then you are only using the small hole size to filter, which means high velocity, which means less filtering.
Just be sure any changes you make, will make all the air pass through the largest filter you can mount.

As Neal says, if the 14x20 filter is lying flat on the floor over the intake hole, you are only getting use of the area of the intake.  But if the filter is raised a few inches, air can flow through all of it and funnel toward the intake, That reduces air velocity  through the filter and spreads the inevitable dust across the wider filter area.

So, if the filter is flat against the floor you lose nothing by reducing the size. if not, then you may get more air noise and may have to change the filter more often if you go to a smaller size.

The 14 x 20 is a very standard size available everywhere. Smaller sizes may be more difficult to find.  The 14x20s that I use cost less than $ 5 each so it's not like I am wasting a lot of money even if it is too large for the hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom