Adapter for my BBQ.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triple Slide Jayco

Hello, I have a BBQ that takes the green 1 pound throwaway tanks. Do they make an adapter that I can screw into the bottom of the BBQ grill and allow for other connections to be made besides the little green tanks.? If so, what is that fitting called or the description of it.? Thank you

YES, it is simply a propane hose with the correct fittings. That little BBQ has a built-in regulator as the little green bottles have a high pressure outlet. The hose you purchase must either connect directly to a larger tank with NO regulator or you will have to disable the built-in one in order to get a decent propane flow and sufficient heat.

Two of them. One is a hose about 5' long it has a "Quick Disconnect" (Screw on fitting like the top of a throwaway bottle) on one end and an ACME fitting to go onto a 5-10-20-whatever pound luggable and refillable tank.

The other for Trailers is the "Extend-a-flow" This taps into your propane lines on the trailer (high pressure side of regulator) and lets you grill off the RV's tanks.

Or "Extend-a-stay" for Motor homes with fixed tanks.. This does the above PLUS lets you feed your Motor home from a luggable.. last use one last month.

If you can't supply you with what you need. Go to a propane distributor who has a shop (not the corner gas station that sells propane) he will have a about any adapter that you would need. He will also have a roll of HP Propane hose and will custom make a hose any length.

I have a Weber Q that uses the one pound bottles. I bought a five foot hose at Lowe's that I use with a 20 pound bottle. Just make sure you don't pick up one with a regulator. It's just a hose with the correct fittings on each end.

Just curious for those that have motorhomes, where do you connect into your motorhomes propane system. We are new to this and have a Weber portable propane grill that uses the green 1 lb bottles. I would like to connect into our Class A's propane system but if we do we would be limited in placing the grill dependent on the length of the hose. It seems it would be easier to just get a 20lb propane bottle but you would have to devise a safe way of storing it in the motorhome. What do others do?

This kit allows you to hook your grille to the RV system, and also to run your RV off the portable bottles if you're going to be in one place for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59123-Propane-Brass-Port/dp/B0014JG7RQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492264584&sr=8-2&keywords=stay+a+while

This one allows you to hook a 20lb bottle to the grille in place of the 1lb bottle:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5-Ft-High-Pressure-Propane-Adaptor/dp/B0009PUQAK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492264727&sr=8-3&keywords=bbq+grill+hose

Just curious for those that have motorhomes, where do you connect into your motorhomes propane system. We are new to this and have a Weber portable propane grill that uses the green 1 lb bottles. I would like to connect into our Class A's propane system but if we do we would be limited in placing the grill dependent on the length of the hose. It seems it would be easier to just get a 20lb propane bottle but you would have to devise a safe way of storing it in the motorhome. What do others do?

We've tried it both ways and decided the portable bottle was the best & easiest solution. However, it doesn't need to be a bulky 20# bottle. We bought a 10# and then later a 5# bottle, much easier to carry in the coach and lug around the campsite. The 5# bottle was plenty for our grilling needs and lasted the entire summer (and that's fulltime camping use).  We like the flexibility of placing the grill anywhere on the site (or elsewhere) and eliminating the LP hose snaking back to the RV. 

The LP bottle must be carried in a ventilated compartment. In our last two coaches we had room in the same compartment that held our onboard tank, though in one of them I had to add a "floor" for the tank. I just added a plywood floor with 1" ventilation holes drilled through it to make sure air could still circulate.

Thanks Old Crow for those links.
Not being experienced RV'ers but thinking this through, I agree with Gary, setting up a portable system gives more flexibility. Funny, the 5 lb bottles cost more than the 20 pounders. I guess the market for the smaller tanks is too small.
Next time I bring the coach home I'll have to devise a way of storing the 5lb bottle. Hopefully it will fit in the existing propane baggage bin.

Here's what we did... Our portable BBQ is plumbed into the RV's LP tank, and so is our "Big Buddy" catalytic LP heater. In the image below, you can see a green arrow that is pointing to the type of fitting you'd need to plumb your BBQ into your RV's LP tank. They're pretty cheap ($25 - $30) and pretty easy to install yourself. Just be sure to leak-check your work.

In the same picture, you can see two such fittings that are mounted next to each other to accommodate our Big Buddy heater and our BBQ. The high pressure gas to the Big Buddy heater is immediately reduced to 5 psi with a regulator that's attached to a 10 foot Big Buddy hose. The high pressure gas that runs to our BBQ is reduced at the BBQ itself via its own regulator. That enables us to keep our BBQ portable, and use those green disposable bottles if we want to grill at someone else's campsite, or run off our RV's LP tank.

Like I said, this is how we did it, and it works very well.

Kev

Attachments

• LP Fittings.jpg
    LP Fittings.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 39
Kev, did you find storing the BBQ hose a pain? I would think for me it would need to be about 50ft long for it to go around the front of the coach and then to the grill on the curb side picnic table. Our coach propane tank is on the drivers side.
For the heater, do you leave the door cracked open enough for the hose to enter the coach, or did you plumb the hose through the coach.

Our LP tank is located just behind the coach's left/front tire. I connected two 12 foot sections of high pressure LP hose together, and routed them from the tank to the other side of the RV. They run under the RV, but above the frame, so they're protected from road hazards while driving. When the BBQ is not in use, about 10 feet of the other end of that hose is coiled up in the basement storage compartment that's right behind the coach's right/front tire. In the first image, you can see where the hose comes into the compartment, and how it's coiled up and out of the way. When I need it, I uncoil it and route it through an already-present access hole that's there for an electrical outlet. Works great.

When plumbing the Big Buddy heater, I used a diamond tipped hole cutter to drill a hole in the tile floor, just behind the driver's seat, up against the left side interior wall. You can see it in the second image. The Big Buddy's regulator is at the LP tank, so there's only low pressure propane coming into the RV. I have about six feet of hose inside the RV to move the heater around. I could attach more, but never found that necessary.

Kev 

Attachments

• Stored Hose.jpg
    Stored Hose.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Big Buddy Hose.jpg
    Big Buddy Hose.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 9
timjet said:
Thanks Old Crow for those links.
Not being experienced RV'ers but thinking this through, I agree with Gary, setting up a portable system gives more flexibility. Funny, the 5 lb bottles cost more than the 20 pounders. I guess the market for the smaller tanks is too small.
Next time I bring the coach home I'll have to devise a way of storing the 5lb bottle. Hopefully it will fit in the existing propane baggage bin.

I admit, when I bought the "stay a while" kit, I got a cheaper version with only the hose to hook the external bottles to the RV.  Always just used the 1lb bottles on the grille. 
We camp hosted last season, and collected enough 1 lb bottles from campers who bought them and then didn't use them that I'm still grilling off partial, free bottles from last summer.
The hose for hooking the bigger bottles to the grille was left in my new-to-me coach when we purchased it last Dec, and other than to look at it, it hasn't been out of the box.  I suppose when I finally use up all the 1lb bottles I'll hook the grille to one of my 20lb bottles, but since we're going back to the same campground to host in a month or so, using that hose might have to wait until next year.
Oh, I still don't have the hose to hook the grille to the RV system, and don't anticipate buying it.  I, too, like to be able to rearrange my outdoor living space to suit the location.

Old-Crow you know you can get an adapter to fill those 1lb. green bottle off of the 20lber. they are about $10 on Ebay BBQ Grill Saver LPG Propane Tank Gas Filling Adapter Coupler Brass

Yeah, I got a tutorial on that from one of our campers last year...as he was handing me a cylinder that he'd filled that was leaking back out the valve.  My take on that is that it's like roasting your own coffee beans in a hot air popcorn popper(which I also did for a time).  A lot of fun for a while, but in the long run, more trouble than it's worth.

My intentions are to run the grille off one of the 20lb cylinders we already carry after I use up all my 1lb bottles.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
We've tried it both ways and decided the portable bottle was the best & easiest solution. However, it doesn't need to be a bulky 20# bottle. We bought a 10# and then later a 5# bottle, much easier to carry in the coach and lug around the campsite. The 5# bottle was plenty for our grilling needs and lasted the entire summer (and that's fulltime camping use).  We like the flexibility of placing the grill anywhere on the site (or elsewhere) and eliminating the LP hose snaking back to the RV. 

The LP bottle must be carried in a ventilated compartment. In our last two coaches we had room in the same compartment that held our onboard tank, though in one of them I had to add a "floor" for the tank. I just added a plywood floor with 1" ventilation holes drilled through it to make sure air could still circulate.

When we had a pop-up, I tapped into the line but now prefer the 5# bottle. More versatile, no inconvenience, and less land-fill from the disposables. (I'm not going to fill those green canisters). But I've always stored the 5# in a basement compartment with the hose and grill regulator attached. If the closed tank valve somehow leaks (unlikely), we still have the grill regulator completely turned off on the other end. Dual protection? Not sure why the ventilation requirement unless it's a fixed tank.

Back
Top Bottom