Advice Needed - Selecting 5th Wheel, Family of 6 Full-Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbFL

Good Morning all!

Just joined the boards and looking to get some input from the RV community  :D

Here's where we are: I work for an IT company and we home-school our kids so we can work from anywhere in the US so why not hit the road (for a year or so). We have been planning for this new lifestyle for about 2 months, our first move is to get our house ready for sale, buy the RV, trade our minivan for an F250 diesel, sell the house, and hit the road.

The advice i'm looking for at the moment is the 5th wheel. We have very specific needs being that we are a large family, and I plan on working from the rv at least 40 hours a week. Once our trip is over, we still plan to utilize the coach as a work-space for me separate from the house and travel throughout the year. Here are the requirements for our rig:
  • Must sleep all 4 kids in their own beds so we are not making beds each night (ages 1-11 all boys)
  • Must have a dedicated office space for me during the day
  • Must be under $50k, less the better
  • Looking for dependability, and build quality. We know there will always be things that need work but i'm willing to spend a little more for a better build than save some $$ and be fixing things that could have been avoided
  • Weight, light enough for an F250 without having to get a dually (trying to avoid dually for ease of getting around town)
  • Washer prep (I cant tell you how many salesman have told us we don't need one but we still have bed wetters and it's a hard stop for my wife)
  • Size ~ or under 40ft. We don't want to limit ourselves too much but we love the space 40 feet gives us given we will be working and teaching inside
  • Non-residential fridge

We have looked at hundreds of RVs at this point and the floor-plan we both agree 'feels' the best and makes the most sense for our family is the Mid-Bunk option with a loft area. This allows 2 kids to sleep in the mid bunk and another 2 in the loft at night and by day I will have a dedicated area in the mid-bunk room for work with a closed door. We have also considered the rear quad bunk option with me converting the 2nd 1/2 bath into a small office but we're both not too crazy about that. Because we love this floorplan, we are somewhat limited in that I don't see many older models offering this plan.

Here is what I would like feedback on since there are many models we looked at and I don't know whether or not to fork up the money and go more expensive or be conservative and go cheap. Here they are in order of (our) preference.

2017 Jayco 355MBQS
https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Camping-World-RV-Sales-of-Lake-City-771090/listing/2017-Jayco-EAGLE-355MBQS-120624432
  • Pros: Best Florplan. I also have heard many good things about Jayco and I respect the brand. Size is under 40. Mid bunk has desk area pre-built
  • Cons: Its new, depreciation loss, price is at upper end of our limit

2016 Jayco 377RLBH
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2016-Jayco-NORTH-POINT-377RLBH-121553815
  • Pros: Best Floorplan. Used so looks depreciated already. NorthPoint is the step up from Eagle so I am assuming better quality. Mid bunk has desk area pre-built
  • Cons: Price

2017 Forest River 36BHQ
https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Creative-RV---Florida-3037390/listing/2017-Forest-River-Sabre-Cobalt-36BHQ-120842946
  • Pros: Price is 10k lower than the others
  • Cons: We walked in this one yesterday and man did it feel cheap. Sliding door to mid bunkroom (not much sound isolation). 42 feet

Again, you all have been around and have your own opinions, please share and feel free to ask questions about why we are looking at these types of qualities in a 5th wheel. I look forward to getting to know all of you!  :)

I don't think your list of requirements can be had in a 5W you can tow without needing a dually. You are going to need that 36-40 footer and they are going to exceed 16,000 lbs, very likely more like 18k-20k and no 3/4 ton can handle the pin weight for that. Especially when also carrying 6 people, even if 4 of them are kids. A 5W places 20-25% of its loaded weight on the truck, along with whatever else is on/in the truck (including an 80+ lb 5W hitch). That means a lot of Payload as well as towing capacity.

Wrong truck!
WRONG TRUCK!
Get the idea, so far your dreams are scheduled to end in disaster.
First, there is no crew cab 250 series truck capable of handling 6 people, their stuff and three to four thousand pounds of pin weight.  Just not going to happen.
Think a dually at minimum
Trying to find a bunk house fiver with 4 bunks, andmoffice space is your next major hurdle.  I have seen fivers with 4 bunk beds, but not with a dedicated office space too.
This is your home, so forget price and buy the one that you feel fits your family best.
Same for the truck.  Just dont cheap out on either or you will be spending again to change to something better in a few months

You might be able to find a travel trailer that will fit most of your needs and the specs of your 250, but even that will be hard. Either a 350 dual or even a 450 will be needed for any 5th wheel even close to your needs since you will be hauling the kids too. Have you looked into getting a big Class A instead? Get a smaller 6 person vehicle to tow behind for errands and such. They do have bunk models, but having an office too gets harder to find. Maybe a toy hauler would work with the drop down bunks.

Also be sure you check your internet access needs can be met while traveling. Most RV parks that advertise wifi have very low bandwidth. You will probably need a high data plan for your phone.

FWIW, I test drove a few duallies. In comparison to my F350 CCLB SRW, it turned about the same. If you want those sizes, that is what youll need. If you dont mind TTs, there should be some within your trucks capabilities that fit your requirements.

ALL, excellent feedback so far. That's what I came here for

Dually - I hear you guys loud and clear, glad you were able to point that out. I now realize I can't get everything I want but better safe and do the right thing
Class A - I really don't like the idea of this to be honest (and we've given it a lot of thought). I just don't like the idea of maintaining 2 engines and 2 sets of tires out there. Not to mention it will blow our budget so not sure that's in the cards. Have to work with 5er for now and start accepting the idea of dually.
TT - We're pretty set on 5th wheel, love the higher ceilings and I read about more stability when towing etc.

With all that said, assuming I am going Dually, what is everyone's opinions on the mid-bunk coaches from above?

I think you would find a rear bunk room a much better option.
I know Montana and Forest River have/rear bunk models along with a half bath or desk area for the kids to work.

First, welcome to the Forum!  You will get very honest opinions!

The tow vehicle (TV) must have sufficient payload to carry the weight of all passengers, car sears, pets, snacks, cargo in the bed including bicycles, coolers, tools, 200# for a FW hitch and 20% of the GVWR of the selected FW.  A F250 has no chance at all.  A F350 SRW has almost no chance.  A F350 DRW might make it.  A F450 is worth a peek.

You absolutely, positively MUST have a FLOOR PLAN you all love, or it will never work.

Internet access is a major potential issue.  Make sure you have that part figured out before going forward with this plan!  This really can be a deal killer for you.

As many have mentioned, I do have a solution for unlimited high speed internet via a grandfathered Verizon data plan with jet pack. That was the first thing I figured out otherwise those whole idea wouldn't have made it that far. What's everyone's opinion on splurging for the north point used, even though it goes above 40ft? Worth it, or go with the 355mbqs new. 2016 models of the mbqs don't have the right middle bunkhouse for us

I'm not a fifth wheel expert, but every large family I've met, probably six or seven, that was full timing has been in a Seneca toy hauler. Typically they have fold up bunks in the garage with provision to support the back door level with the room. A canvas fly or full enclosure is often used. Some of the advantages cited were teaching and eating on the platform/door, having a place for bikes when travelling, and adequate seating, and seat belts, when travelling.

Just sayin,

Ernie

I do have a solution for unlimited high speed internet via a grandfathered Verizon data plan with jet pack.

I'm a fan of cellular data and carry a Verizon Jetpack myself, but don't kid yourself that it's "unlimited high speed internet" like at home.  In some areas the cell signal will be weak or even non-existent.  And in some areas where the signal is fine, the network will still be overloaded and slow. Since large campgrounds often have many people using phones & Jetpacks for data, heavy loading is a common phenomena.  I'm not saying it won't work, but you should probably lower your expectations a bit.

I would always suggest used over new!

1.  Lower cost for identical campers OR more / better camper for the same money.

2.  If / when you trade / upgrade / sell, you will come out better financially due to not having that huge first year depreciation.

3.  Almost all new campers have "issues" which need fixed and are covered under warranty.  This is always inconvenient, especially if it is your home!  Sometimes these repairs take a day or two, sometimes weeks - or months!  Gently used campers should already have all these issues resolved and you have more time to enjoy the camper.

4.  There are MANY gently used campers available in all sizes, styles and price ranges.  It may take a bit more time to find the RIGHT one, but the financial and other advantages are huge.

Once again, FLOOR PLAN, FLOOR PLAN.  Is the floor plan perfect for your family or is JUST acceptable.  In small spaces, just acceptable quickly becomes not acceptable and time to trade for something better.

Alright, so my wife and I just went to look at a private party 2016 Jayco North Point 377RLBH about an hour away and we LOVED it. Excellent condition and the owner was VERY meticulous with everything he was explaining to us, so that tells me he definitely made sure he took care of it. I'm pretty sure we are going to buy this one based on our findings this is the best gently used model we've seen and the depreciation has already been eaten by the first owner. Asking price is $50k

Kicker - He and his wife are in the process of building a house so he's unloading his truck too. Here's where it gets interesting @Gary RVer Emeritus. He's got a 2015 Diesel F250 with airbags and an Andersen hitch already installed. NO DUALLY. I brought up all the concerns read earlier in this post but he says that payload is no issue for him and tow-ability is great. He and his family of 3 have traveled from CA to FL with the rig with no issue. Gross weight on the 377 is the following:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 13075
Dry Hitch Weight  2915
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating  15975
Cargo Carrying Capacity  2900

The asking price on the truck is very fair and it is appealing to buy the rig and TV all ready to go with hitch installed etc.

What are your thoughts on this? Is the airbag installation sufficient to outweigh lack in dual tires?
Also, thoughts on Andersen hitches, this is the first i've ever seen one. He seemed to really rave about it

grashley said:
I would always suggest used over new!

1.  Lower cost for identical campers OR more / better camper for the same money.

2.  If / when you trade / upgrade / sell, you will come out better financially due to not having that huge first year depreciation.

How do you think buying a previous model year (but still new) rig impacts the depreciation?  I imagine it's not as big of a hit, but still a hit?  Anyone have any thoughts?  I've seen a couple new 2016 models still hanging around, and even 2017 will be last year shortly when the 2018s really start showing up.

Also, thoughts on Andersen hitches, this is the first i've ever seen one. He seemed to really rave about it

Following this one too, I've read about them but that's it...I'm thinking they might be the way to go, but it will be good to hear the feedback on this subject. 

My guess the guy has never driven across a set of scales.  There is simply NO WAY a 250 will handle the fiver.  Buy a dually and go happy!

Think long, hard, and carefully about selling your house. I know people that were in the same spot, and after about three months they called it quits and their house was already gone. Can you rent your house? At least for the first six months? Can you pay your mortgage for the first three months, just to make sure you're good with your decision? Don't burn all the bridges you have until you really know if it will work out :)

captaindomon said:
Think long, hard, and carefully about selling your house. I know people that were in the same spot, and after about three months they called it quits and their house was already gone. Can you rent your house? At least for the first six months? Can you pay your mortgage for the first three months, just to make sure you're good with your decision? Don't burn all the bridges you have until you really know if it will work out :)

Very good point indeed. We have been wanting to sell for the longest time (for various reasons) and have made peace with renting if/when we return to 'real life' :) We would not be able to afford this adventure without selling but we also don't want to deal with renting it out. At the end of the day we will be financially stable enough to move on in a few months even if we decide not to continue down the highway

The seller with the F250 is dumb and happy, thinking just because it tows well, the truck is big enough.  HE IS WRONG!!!!

The truck probably has 2500# payload.  You will be carrying a 3200# pin wt (ALREADY OVERLOADED!) PLUS 6 people (?  1000#  ??) PLUS 40# hitch  PLUS other cargo. YOU ARE FIRMLY IN DUALLY TERRITORY!

Towing aside, how are you planning on fitting your family into the cab of a truck? 4 kids in the back seat? At least the 1 year old will have to be in a car seat. Most states now require child safety seats up to 8 years old depending on the size of the child. Pick-up cabs only have 3 sets of seat belts in the back seat.

Back
Top Bottom