Winter Experience - Jayco Eagle, Northpoint, Arctic Fox, Outdoors RV.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

Anyone have any winter experience with the Jayco Eagle Fifth Wheel (Not the HT).  As for defining "winter", I'll say I'd like to spend some time close to snow skiing during the winter...not saying I'll camp all the time at the 10,000' base area...but maybe once in a while.  Overall, the RV will be used for full time living for the next 24 months or so. 

I've kind of been looking at the Jayco models because I like their layouts best.  The Arctic Fox is more expensive, but really it's the layouts that turn me away from them.  Same with the Outdoors RV layouts. 

What can the experts tell me about the construction of the Eagle vs Northpoint vs Arctic Fox vs Outdoors RV vs any other recommended trailers as it relates to cold weather (maybe 10F to 32F) camping?  Also, what kind of modifications should I plan to complete to prep my rig for cold weather camping?  I notice that many of the models I mentioned prevent holding tanks from freezing by ducting warm air around the tank, that means that if traveling with a loaded tank you would need the heat running while going down the road correct?  Seems odd, any issues with that?  I've also read of heating pads, any comments about that front?  Are those 12v?  I imagine that would be a big battery drain while driving if they're running. 

Sorry, it's kind of open ended question, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts.  Thanks!

At those temps all of them the furnace will run pretty much full time to maintain 65 degrees inside.
Jayco is only one of a number of BIG RV builders.  No better and no worse than any other big name.
Northwood Mfg is a smaller family owned company building everything in basically one location.  They use their own in house frames, designed for rugged long term service.  No matter what you choose, floor plan and livability are paramount.  So choose what you like best, and go.

For any unit you are looking at, check out their insulation first. Do they have double pane windows? Is the belly insulated? How much? Where are the drains? Are they inside or outside the insulated space? Note that four season trailers cost more than those without the goodies, so you can decide yourself if an occasional night in cold weather is worth it or whether you will need cold weather ability for weeks (in which case you have no choice).

We really don't like staying in the trailer in very cold weather, but we did spend 2 weeks with lows in the single digits and highs in the teens to low twenties while helping with a new grandson. Ugh. We found out one of our water lines is routed outside the insulated section of the trailer. It was a design issue they corrected the next year, but that doesn't help us. We should have tried letting the water drip, but we had no place to dump closer than 45 miles away so we just survived. I have no problem with lows around 20 though, so a lot depends on where and when you go skiing. As for leaving the heat on when traveling, we have done it a few times when leaving our place in January or February. You just can't get out of SLC without going through mountains one direction or the other, and mountains in winter mean cold. We just set it on 55 and go. If the weather is going to be above freezing most of the day we don't bother.

Hey!

Thanks for the info!  Just what I was looking for.  I'm still researching, but checked out some KZ Durango units today at an RV show.  At least the marketing pitch and the website make it sound like a good cold weather rig.  Is that just hype, or do you all think it's actually better than the Jayco say?

Thanks!

This is probably not worth spit since I live in Texas, and camp in Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas.  It does get below freezing and I've been out a couple of times in the teens overnight. I am prepared for it, and I seldom camp in the summer, but camp often in late fall to early spring. My White Hawk travel trailer was made by Jayco.

schrederman said:
This is probably not worth spit since I live in Texas, and camp in Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas.  It does get below freezing and I've been out a couple of times in the teens overnight. I am prepared for it, and I seldom camp in the summer, but camp often in late fall to early spring. My White Hawk travel trailer was made by Jayco.

Thanks!  All the info I can get helps!  Care to expand on what "prepared for it" means?

I have a heated water hose and I got the "Glacier Package"...  whatever that means. I also keep a heated pipe wrap for the park faucet. I haven't been without water yet. I keep a small electric heater and adjust it as necessary to keep from burning too much propane with the furnace. I set the furnace on 64 degrees and it very seldom comes on. I have also tried to find all the little places where cold air comes in and shot a little foam in there to seal it up better. I am about to add an inch of foam insulation under the bed, and foam weatherstrip around the bed pedestal where the bed flips up for storage access. Anything to seal it and keep the warm in and the cold out. Not surprisingly, these things work well in the heat, too. My air conditioner doesn't have to work quite as hard. Enjoy.

Note that heated underbellies rely on heat ducts from the propane furnace. An electric heater in the interior can keep the people warm, but it won't heat the pipes and tanks underneath. In real cold weather you need to run propane, at least at night.we actually don't use anything except electric heat down to,about 30 degrees. Our trailer won't freeze in the hour or two the low temps are around as long as it gets warmer during the day. We start getting a lot more careful when lows are 25-28 degrees.

If I camp in the winter, it's a short one and I leave my TT winterized and just take a 5-gallon jug of water with me.  I added a catalytic heater to my TT so I could heat it without running my battery down.  On really cold nights, it can't keep up, but it does take the edge off.  On fairly cold nights, it's reasonably comfortable.  The propane hose for the catalytic heater(a Camco Olympian Wave-6) plugs into a quick release I installed under my stove.  My TT does not have a winter package (e.g. it has single-pane windows) but does pretty well with this.  I mostly got the Wave-6 for early spring/late fall and not for winter camping, but I've been happy with the addition.

Thanks again for the info guys!

If I do pull the trigger soon, I'll be full time for a couple of years, so unfortunately I don't think winterizing the RV and carrying water will work.  As a newcomer, I'm kind of surprised with the way the underfloor heated areas work.  I was disappointed to find out that you HAVE to use the propane heater to circulate air in the lower cavity.  I was kind of thinking there might be a recirculation fan to take warm air from the living area and cycle through the lower cavity, especially considering the fact that several rigs now come with really effective electric heating fireplace units.

What did you decide on? We're also thinking of going full time, but I think we would spend the first 4-6 months in Portland. We're debating trying to find short term, furnished apartments that allow dogs or a MH.

esliku said:
What did you decide on? We're also thinking of going full time, but I think we would spend the first 4-6 months in Portland. We're debating trying to find short term, furnished apartments that allow dogs or a MH.

Hey there!  I haven't decided yet.  In fact, I think I have more questions than I did before!  There are lots of good rigs and good floorplans out there.  I've looked at the Durango Gold and a Keystone Montana very recently.  I've really started to like the Montana with the raised rear living room, allowing for additional pass through storage.  Looks like it could be useful for ski gear or a mountain bike (with the front tire removed).  I like the idea of being able to secure those items internally rather than on a rack.  Also, the small separation from living to kitchen retains an open feel, but does give the feel of defined areas of living.  Then there's the Montana with the front kitchen...that seems like an interesting concept. 

ip076 said:
Hey!

Thanks for the info!  Just what I was looking for.  I'm still researching, but checked out some KZ Durango units today at an RV show.  At least the marketing pitch and the website make it sound like a good cold weather rig.  Is that just hype, or do you all think it's actually better than the Jayco say?

Thanks!
We have a 2006 KZ Durango and have spent a couple of nights between 16 and 20* and it's tough, heater will run constantly to keep 55* over 90* is also a problem so I would not recommend a KZ for what you want, we are looking at Grand design and Artic Fox which are 4 season units.

To close out this thread, I went with a 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS. 

I think in the end it really does boil down to floor plan and what you're comfortable spending, there seems to be so many that are all about the same.  I'll be keeping involved in this forum, so maybe you'll read about some pros and cons as I come across them!

Back
Top Bottom