Need advice - first travel trailer for family of 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan F

We are looking to purchase our first travel trailer.  We have 2 children (ages 2 and 6) and are looking at bunkhouse layouts. My truck is a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 6.2L engine, and the max tow package. After some initial research, we've been looking at trailers in the 28-32 ft range, and 5000-6500 (maybe 7000 at most) dry weight range. Is this length/weight combo too much trailer or will it be ok?  Will also be getting a weight distribution hitch. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

That Lance camper looks very nice!  The price looks like it would be out of our range unfortunately.
We've been debating if we need a couch and dinette or just the dinette. It looks like if we want both, we'd have to go with a 32'. If we go with just a dinette, we could go smaller. Being new to this, all of the options are kind of overwhelming lol. We have several friends with families that have travel trailers, and they've all traded up for longer ones.  Just want to be sure we get enough room without going overboard.

Others will chime in with brands, etc. However, don't even worry about trailer dry weight. You will *never* tow the trailer that way. Look at the trailer's GVWR (that is the max the trailer can weigh) and is what you base the tongue weight at the hitch from. Also, look at the cargo carrying capacity of your truck. That will be on the label on the driver's side door pillar (usually).
Those 2 things will help you decide as to which trailer you can tow safely. Note that some will also chime in that a 28-32 ft trailer is getting a bit long for a 1500. Since it's what you have, you will definitely need to work within whatever its limitations are. (Cargo carrying capacity)

I typed the following while Hammster was replying. He's got it, but I will leave my response here to echo it.

Ignore all dry weight calculations. Look at the yellow sticker on your door for the max weight your truck can handle. Then add weight of hitch, weight of passengers (remember the kids grow!), stuff like bikes and grills, and the gross weight the trailer can handle (axel weight plus hitch weight). You will probably need something smaller than 30'. Also remember that trailer salesmen lie. They will always tell you your current vehicle will tow the trailer you are looking at. Don't rely on them. Do your own calculations instead.

The cargo capacity of the truck is 1929 lbs. The towing capacity is 11,700 pounds, but I understand that I'll hit the max load capacity well before the towing capacity.

Nice truck, but not for pulling a large trailer with a family of 4 on board.  The kids will do nothing but grow.  Meaning each year your net cargo carrying capacity will go down.  If your consertative and assume 400 pounds for occupants besides you, then add everything you ,DW and the kids pack in and your real world caego capacity can drop a lot.
Now, add 250 SQFT of sail behind your truck on a windy day and your simply asking for trouble.

I have the same truck as you only an older version. We have a Jayco 26 foot with full size bunks and a sofa, etc.  this is our floorplan.  https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2015-jay-flight/26bh/
Our dry weight is 4698

Ryan F said:
...  Will also be getting a weight distribution hitch. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Two things you might want to consider:

1. Don't get too close to the max towing or weight ratings of your truck.  You want enough cushion that your truck can control the trailer in adverse circumstances (brake connection fails on a downgrade, high cross-winds, emergency stops, etc).  All of these have happened to me at one time or another.

2. You didn't really ask about the weight distribution hitch, but do some research on the type.  I've used both the chain lift type (on our horse trailers) and the bar type (We have an Equal-i-zer hitch on our Arctic Fox), and for a large trailer with that kind of sail area and leverage on the truck, I really prefer the Equal-i-zer hitch.  The weight distribution bars double as sway control.  When we hit cross winds or a large semi passes us, our trailer stays where it belongs - straight behind us and upright.

I have a Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab.  And we have a 2016 Crossraods Sunset Trail 270BH.  We bought ours at Camping World in Akron, OH.

It has been an excellent TT for us.  We are a family of 3 and there is plenty of space.  I liked the size of the bathroom because the shower is a good size and I am able to get dressed in the bathroom after a shower.  Plus I feel the look and quality has met our expectations so far.  We are starting our 3rd camping season with it and can't wait.

good luck.  We searched for about 2 years before finding what we wanted.  It was a tough decision with so many models and options out there.

Old Blevins said:
2. You didn't really ask about the weight distribution hitch, but do some research on the type.  I've used both the chain lift type (on our horse trailers) and the bar type (We have an Equal-i-zer hitch on our Arctic Fox), and for a large trailer with that kind of sail area and leverage on the truck, I really prefer the Equal-i-zer hitch.  The weight distribution bars double as sway control.  When we hit cross winds or a large semi passes us, our trailer stays where it belongs - straight behind us and upright.

You are right. I need to look into this more. I've looked at the Equal-I-zer and it appears to be one of the best on the market. I think this would definitely help out with the sway and weight distribution.  What's a good price on the Equal-i-zer?

jimmerz said:
I have a Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab.  And we have a 2016 Crossraods Sunset Trail 270BH.  We bought ours at Camping World in Akron, OH.

It has been an excellent TT for us.  We are a family of 3 and there is plenty of space.  I liked the size of the bathroom because the shower is a good size and I am able to get dressed in the bathroom after a shower.  Plus I feel the look and quality has met our expectations so far.  We are starting our 3rd camping season with it and can't wait.

good luck.  We searched for about 2 years before finding what we wanted.  It was a tough decision with so many models and options out there.

We've looked at the 264BH and 330BH Sunset Trail TT at Paul Sherry. How is the service at Camping World?  What options would you recommend for a family?  I don't believe we've looked at the 270BH before, but that layout looks very functional as well.

We've only been looking for a few months, but the variety of types, options, floor plans, etc are overwhelming.

Peggyy said:
I have the same truck as you only an older version. We have a Jayco 26 foot with full size bunks and a sofa, etc.  this is our floorplan.  https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2015-jay-flight/26bh/
Our dry weight is 4698

So Peggy, how does your truck do pulling that trailer?

I am in similar situation as the original poster.  Have a F150 rated for 12,200 towing capacity, 1900 payload, and 157" wheelbase.  Looking at 26' trailers (30' with tongue, etc.) and a dry weight of about 6300 or so and gross weight of around 8000.    Family of 4 weighs about 800, tongue 750, gives me 350 max for gear.    I think this should be good (with a WD hitch of course) but there are alot of opinions.  I welcome any thoughts or advice.

Choose your trailer carefully.
The max trailer weight will be far closer to the actual weight, not the dry weight.
Assume the tongue weight to be 12% of the max weight.
Your actual truck towing capability will be lower than the published amounts (because GMC lies too).
You need the GCWR minus the GVWR of your TV.  That is the max you can tow with your fully loaded truck.
With a payload of 1900 pounds, 4 passengers, cargo and tongue weight you will be close.
For comfortable towing you should keep those numbers within 80% for long distance towing.
That gives you some room for error, your truck will handle better, and your towing experience will be comfortable.

I'm not a big fan of towing a 30' TT with a half ton truck.  I know people do it, but you need the TV to be in control of the trailer not the other way around.  Windy weather, and passing semi's can really drag you around.
The lighter the truck and the softer the suspension the worse it will be.

Gods Country said:
I'm not a big fan of towing a 30' TT with a half ton truck.  I know people do it, but you need the TV to be in control of the trailer not the other way around.  Windy weather, and passing semi's can really drag you around.

What TT length would you recommend with a half ton?  Also, this might be a stupid question, but when people refer to the length of the TT, are they talking about the overall length including the hitch?  Or just the living space, which is shorter than the overall length.

With a 150/1500 series truck I would never serioualy consider any trailer over about 25 feet.  There is just too much trailer weight plus sail area can equal disaster with a soft suspension, light weight tow vehicle.
Trailers are generally referred to as hitch to bumper in length.

Ryan F said:
What TT length would you recommend with a half ton?  Also, this might be a stupid question, but when people refer to the length of the TT, are they talking about the overall length including the hitch?  Or just the living space, which is shorter than the overall length.

These days I think they make it up......more marketing BS.  Technically it should be the total length of the trailer including the tongue, or a least that's what I was always told in my youth..  I have a 21' trailer, and that is what the registration states, but the trailer is actually 23' including the tongue.  The box is 20' IIRC.

This is strictly my personal opinion, but I think anything 30' and over should be hauled with more truck.
It's going to vary on the truck weight and sway control, but you are hauling what amounts to a big tall sail, and modern 1/2 ton trucks to some extent sacrifice rigidity for comfort and ride.  To me when they are loaded down they just feel soft. 

ETA: I hauled a 26' trailer for a friend.  Granted it was an older heavier trailer, but probably weighed in around what newer 28-30' trailers weigh.  It was easily 7,000 pounds or more.  I hauled it with a beefy 3/4 ton Ram, and although it handled well I couldn't imagine hauling it with a lighter truck.  At least not any real distance.

I echo Hammster and UTT.    Forget dry wt.

Thanks for providing the CCC.  This is a critical number.

Add together the weight of all passengers, car seats, toys, tools, snacks and all other cargo carried in the truck.  Now add 80# for a WD hitch.  Add 100# for kids to grow (50# each).  This is how much you plan to carry in the truck.  Subtract this from the CCC of 1929#.  What remains is the maximum hitch weight you can support.  Assuming 10% hitch weight, multiply this by 10 to get the max GVWR  TT you can handle.  This will be really pushing things with no margin left.  Assuming a 12.5% hitch weight, multiply the remaining CCC by 8 to get the max GVWR  TT you could handle.  Your real hitch wt will fall between the two weights, so this is the safer number to use.

As for CW, as a general rule, their service department  "draws a strong vacuum!".  They are in the business of selling campers in order to accumulate e mail addresses which they can sell to third parties.  Once the check clears, they are on to the next "client".

We like ours shown in the signature. It is a bunkhouse floor plan. 6200 lbs dry. I know the truck weighs about 6600 lbs. I ran it all across the scales fully equipped (wife and I included) and we were a total of 14,500 lbs. (carrying some water). We use a Husky Centerline WD 800-1200 lb hitch. If your much newer motor is not making at least as much power as our 7.4L (and I assume it does with newer technology and more gears/shifts with current transmission options) you may find yourself feeling a little underpowered with something this size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom