Subaru Outback as TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumps

If you tow with a Subaru Outback - please share what you tow and your experience.  I'm shopping for my next camper and curious about experiences -

If you don't tow with a Subaru Outback - please do not:
tell me I cannot do it - I will.
tell me what my tow limits are (I have read the manual)
tell me I need an aux. tranny cooler (I know that)
tell me what TV I really should buy - if I wanted a different TV I'd buy one. 

Thanks!

A friend of mine tows a small Tab with her Outback. It is just her and a kayak, and it is within the tow ratings. She has many thousands of miles on it. I tow a canoe trailer with mine. Four tandem canoes plus canoe camping gear for 6-8, maybe 1000 pounds (I don't have the trailer brakes required at 1500 pounds).

I forgot I also tow my little bitty motorcycle camper with my Forester. It is designed to be towed by a big touring motorcycle. Weight is around 450-500 loaded BTW, it is great fun since it will fit about anywhere! I have seen people towing small Aframes and lots of different small to medium pop ups with Subarus. I think those will be ok with a Subie.

For non-Subie fans, a Subaru can tow 2500 pounds when loaded with 800 pounds of passengers and gear. It is not a lot, but it is suitable for something small. Trailer brakes are required over 1500 pounds.

Gods Country said:
Have you ever towed any of the above with an Outback?
If not pipe down. :D
Well, I pick the right tool for the job. And am clearly beneath others here. Ill return to my safe space.

I was in a Miata club for several years and one of our members pulled a small teardrop trailer with his Miata. Actually went coast to coast one time.

So I think if you get a smaller trailer you'll do fine.

My 2013 Outback has a payload of 750#.  That is for passengers and cargo.  Not much for a trailer left.  What's yours?

RVRAC said:
My 2013 Outback has a payload of 750#.  That is for passengers and cargo.  Not much for a trailer left.  What's yours?
What is your GVWR? I have been looking at 2017 models, and Outbacks can tow between 2700 and 3000 pounds depending on engine. New Foresters have decreased towing capacity (1500) as compared to my 2008 Forester that can tow 2500 pounds. I am actually waiting on the new 7 passenger Subaru coming out in the next year or so as our daily drive. We would be trading in or selling a Rav 4 and my Forester, keeping the truck as our secondary vehicle. Kind of silly to keep 3 vehicles now that we are retired and don't have work commutes, but I don't like the Rav 4 and the Forester is too small and not that comfortable (it is the lowest trim level). We will either get an Outback or the 7 passenger version, depending on how things work out.

UTT is right -

my towing capacity is 2700 pounds, with 200 hitch carrying limit.  The light tongue weight is driving my choice more than the 2700 limit.  While I'm not one to push tow limits on any vehicle, I also know that part of this changes based on location.  For example, if you look up what Subaru's are towing in Europe and Australia - they are TTs.  The mentality is different.  In the US you always get someone who drives a heavy duty pick up telling you that you cannot tow with a car (see the snarky remarks above).  That's just not true.  The Outback can tow 2700 pounds, I'm aiming to tow something under 2000 pounds, and I'll add the tranny cooler.  I should be just fine.  :)  There seem to be a lot of folks towing Scamps with Outbacks - and a fair number towing T@Bs.  It is possible, just need to find the right camper. 

stumps said:
UTT is right -

my towing capacity is 2700 pounds, with 200 hitch carrying limit.  The light tongue weight is driving my choice more than the 2700 limit.  While I'm not one to push tow limits on any vehicle, I also know that part of this changes based on location.  For example, if you look up what Subaru's are towing in Europe and Australia - they are TTs.  The mentality is different.  In the US you always get someone who drives a heavy duty pick up telling you that you cannot tow with a car (see the snarky remarks above).  That's just not true.  The Outback can tow 2700 pounds, I'm aiming to tow something under 2000 pounds, and I'll add the tranny cooler.  I should be just fine.  :)  There seem to be a lot of folks towing Scamps with Outbacks - and a fair number towing T@Bs.  It is possible, just need to find the right camper.
Good for you. I really meant the question to be to RVRAC but I guess I wasn't very clear. I am quite yin/yang on trailers. I love my heavy four season trailer that I pull with a big Dodge pickup. I stay comfortable for weeks at a time with all the luxuries. I also love camping in my tiny motorcycle camper pulled by my Subaru into a tiny and remote campsite. No running water, no electricity, just nature. Oh, and I even love wilderness canoe camping with a tent and only the items that fit in the boat. Most people on forums like this use bigger trailers and can't imagine going small. Enjoy your trailer and Subie. I am on my third one, and looking for the fourth. I can't imagine having anything else; I am definitely a Subaru groupie.

Cricket trailers look very appealing for a lightweight trailer.  I have a Forester that I've towed cargo trailers with.

I don't know what my Outback GVWR is but knows its payload is 750, of which I need to deduct passenger and stuff before considering tongue weight of a camper.  It doesn't leave a lot for this last item.  Maybe a 2000 TT is doable, but for me that is not much of a TT.  I am getting a 2017 next month.  Will let you know what I found out on the new ones. MHO

Back
Top Bottom