Anyone using this Controller with Direct TV to get Sat. 119??? or necessary???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

KING UC1000 Universal Controller to Make Quest Antenna Compatible with DIRECTV, Bell, or DISH Receivers
Thinking of buying the King Quest VQ4100 and maybe this controller??? Wondering what channels are on 101 and which channels are on 119.. Any way to tell on my service??? If NOT in HD what channels do I get??? worth my 400-500 bucks to buy the dome and then this gizmo??

https://www.amazon.com/KING-UC1000-Universal-Controller-Compatible/dp/B00WB8F072/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00WB8F072&pd_rd_r=966RV6VWG8THAN2QE5GX&pd_rd_w=NSPLW&pd_rd_wg=3mkC0&psc=1&refRID=966RV6VWG8THAN2QE5GX

thoughts? Experience???

You won't get Direct's HD channels on any dome-type satellite antenna. The dish inside simply cannot receive the signal from the satellite that Direct currently uses for HD. So forget HD (for now) if you plan to use Direct TV services. You can get all of Direct's SD channels (whichever ones you purchased with your subscription). The good news is that Direct is transitioning to all HD service and before too long everything on the 101 satellite will be HD, and the standard Direct receiver will also be HD. Don't ask me when, though. Only Direct can answer that and they haven't announced it yet.

The advantage of the universal controller is that you can allegedly easily change from Direct to Dish to Bell without getting a new receiver. Without it, you have to use a different (proprietary) receiver if you want to change from Direct to Dish, or Dish to Bell, or whatever. If you are sticking with any one service provider, you don't need it.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
The good news is that Direct is transitioning to all HD service and before too long everything on the 101 satellite will be HD, and the standard Direct receiver will also be HD.

With all due respect, even if the 101 satellite broadcasts in HD, I don't think there's any chance that DirecTV would give up the satellites at 99 and 103 that are far newer.  Those broadcast in the Ka band, rather than the Ku band used by the 101 satellite.  That requires the use of LNBs designed for those frequencies which is the underlying reason why dome systems can't receive those signals.  As a result, dome systems would continue to only be able to access a portion of the channels being broadcast by DirecTV. 

If you look at it from a different perspective, with today's DirecTV lineup a dome system can at least receive pretty much all the DirecTV SD lineup (with the exception of some small market local channels on 119).  But after the future realignment you mentioned in which the 101 bird would get some of the HD channels, a dome system would then only be able to receive some that portion of the channel lineup being broadcast on 101.  As a result, dome systems, most likely, will be come functionally obsolete when that happens.

tanglemoose said:
KING UC1000 Universal Controller to Make Quest Antenna Compatible with DIRECTV, Bell, or DISH Receivers
Thinking of buying the King Quest VQ4100 and maybe this controller??? Wondering what channels are on 101 and which channels are on 119.. Any way to tell on my service??? If NOT in HD what channels do I get??? worth my 400-500 bucks to buy the dome and then this gizmo??

https://www.amazon.com/KING-UC1000-Universal-Controller-Compatible/dp/B00WB8F072/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00WB8F072&pd_rd_r=966RV6VWG8THAN2QE5GX&pd_rd_w=NSPLW&pd_rd_wg=3mkC0&psc=1&refRID=966RV6VWG8THAN2QE5GX

thoughts? Experience???

I just decided to get away from the dish on a tripod that has to be manually set up every camping trip. I called both King and Winegard directly and asked which portable will work with my Directv receiver HR 54 (HD and the newer model) they said the King Quest with a SWM 8 channel do- dad with a power inserter will allow for the HR54 to get satellite 101 without HD. I ordered one off Amazon (the cheapest ) I found for 344.00 for the dish and 10bux for the SWM and power thing on Ebay. I wonder why they dont advertise that this will work for this receiver?. Nothing they listed said they had a solution for me. Lets see how it goes.

My understanding (in reading) is the UC 1000 is only a adapter per se that allows different service on the King dish. IF you order a Directv dish and you have Directv you wont need it. IF you have a DISH box and a Directv dish, you can adapt it to work.

Here is a list of satellite and channels Directv has for each. I found this useful.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/directv-101-110-119-channel-tp-assignment-lists-pdf.100091/

Just my two cents. 

Back
Top Bottom