Tow Vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this question has been asked 100 different ways but I haven't seen one that dealt with the new GMCs. We just bought our first travel trailer. It's a 25 ft Thor Tahoe Lite hybrid. We are looking at either a 2014 or 2015 gmc sierra 1500 SLT with trailering and towing package. I believe towing capacity will be 11,900.
The dry weight of the TT is 4,280. I can't find anything online or on the trailer that shows the loaded capacity though.
My question is 2 fold. First, how much weight can I expect to add to that when we have all our gear? I don't plan on ever traveling with the water full but we will have (2) 50 lb generators and 2 propane tanks.
Second, do you think we would be ok going with that vehicle as our TV? We REALLY don't want to get a 2500 if we don't have to. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Take a look here at the specs page & choose your model: http://www.rvweb.com/guides/manufacturers/thor/models/2004_tahoe_lite_tt-1084488018791

There should be a tag or decal somewhere on the trailer itself. Look inside the cabinet doors for a decal, or a metal plate with the VIN on the outside.

All trailers have a federal-spec weight label on the exterior at front right, so look around for it. It will show GVWR, axle GAWRs, etc.

A 25 ft Tahoe Light will be somewhere between 7000 and 9000 lb GVWR. With a dry weight (where did you find that?) of 4280, I would guess closer to 7000. But I'm wondering if that 4280 is a typo - there is a Tahoe in that size range that is spec'ed at 4820 dry weight, and that's a more realistic figure for a trailer of that size. For weekend use, I would guestimate 1200-1600 lbs of options, gear, hitch , propane and some water

According to NADA RV Guide, Tahoe seems to have ceased production in 2012, so not sure just what you are looking at.
Here is a 2008 brochure that shows the weights - closest I could find:
http://www.oconnorrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2008_tahoe_bro.pdf

That size trailer should be easily towable with many half-ton pick-ups, but you have to check the specifics of each truck. A Sierra 1500 can be rated anywhere from around 6000 lb to over 12,000 lbs, Look up the specific Sierra configuration in the GMC towing guide for the year. Here'a a link to the 2015 version:
https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2015/gmc/Multi-Model%20PDF/2015-gmc-trailering-towing-guide%20-Terrain%20-%20Acadia-%20Canyon-%20Yukon-Sierra-%20Savana.pdf

And the Trailer Life towing guides for all years/makes/models:
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Why dont you want a 2500?
A 1500 GM product with 11K towing capacity?  I think you are misreading the numbers.
Dry weight is a real misleading term.  It has little to do with the real world, and certainally never any indication of actual towing.  There will be somewhere inside the trailer a as,built spec sheet giving the weight out the door.  But even this does not take into account battery, propane, water, etc.  So look on the left (street) front corner down low for a 2X4 metalized tag.  This will give you everything you need, axle size, OE tire size, VIN number, and most important, the trailers GVWR.  With that you can calculate for ability to safely tow it, tongue weight, and towing weight.  As a rule of thumb, if the GVWR of the trailer is under about 7500 pounds, a properly equipped and not too heavily loaded 1500 will pull it just fine.  If your throwing 4 heavy weights in the truck plus a lot of gear and maybe a couple of big dogs, then all bets are out the window.
Again, why are you so dead set against a 2500?  Besides higher weight capacity and towing limits, I simply do not see a down side.  The benefits are much stronger frame, axles,tires,wheels, just to name a few.

A 1500 GM product with 11K towing capacity?  I think you are misreading the numbers.

Not at all, donn. See the GMC towing guide I linked above. And similar Ford and Dodge half-ton tow guides or brochures.  Whether it's a good idea or not is perhaps another question, but the ratings are there on some configurations. I'll grant that 6000-9000 is much more common, though. And probably a wiser limit.

I got the dry weight from NADA. Here is the link. It's the 23dt model.http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2002/Tahoe-by-Thor-Ind
As for the sticker, I have looked and looked and can't find one on it anywhere. I do know the VIN though.
On the truck itself, we only plan on towing 4-6 times a year max within a 2 hour distance. We MAY take it every couple of years about 1200 miles away. There will be some grades to climb though (6-7%). The guy we bought the trailer from towed it with an Avalanch and he swore it did just fine. The main reason for not wanting to go with a 2500 is quite simply price. What I can afford will allow me to get a nice 1500 with most of the bells and whistles or a 2500 that's a step above the work truck option. For something that is going to be an every day vehicle I'd rather have something nicer with a better ride and gas mileage.
From everything I've read the newly designed 1500s (2014 and up) are quite capable of towing something like this as long as you get it equipped right.

What I can afford will allow me to get a nice 1500 with most of the bells and whistles .....

...and those bells and whistles are exactly what detracts from the cargo carrying (CCC)/towing capacity of a TV as published in brochures etc. The only real number you should be looking out for is the CCC as published on a sticker on the door post. It represents the CCC of that specific truck as it left the factory. You then have to subtract from that anything you will add to the truck like additional people, kids, big dogs, hitches etc. You can use the GCWR minus the VGWR of the truck to estimate the maximum weight of the trailer allowed if need be.

The weight of the trailer to use is the VGWR not the empty weight and doing so will build in a safety margin to your calculations. No one pulls around an empty trailer!!!

The trailer sticker should be on the left (drivers) side as far forward as it can go but... it may be bleached out and unreadable in many cases. You might find additional information on stickers inside the trailer and skillfully hidden in cupboards or closets.

2 30 lb tanks of propane weigh in at 102 lbs (56 lbs each)

So if our dry weight is 4,260 and we add even 1720 lbs we would be at 6,000. I guess what I would really like to know is there anyone out there that has a newer half ton that is towing something around this weight? If So, how does it Tow?

Newbieneedshelp! said:
So if our dry weight is 4,260 and we add even 1720 lbs we would be at 6,000. I guess what I would really like to know is there anyone out there that has a newer half ton that is towing something around this weight? If So, how does it Tow?
I tow a 6500 gvwr trailer with the wife's 07 Yukon with the heavy duty tow package and a 5.3, I installed a tekonsha p3 brake controller.  It doesn't even know the trailer is back there. 

Look for a truck with a reserve capacity (capacity after passengers) of at least 1,200 lbs. You load that TT to max you'll have close to 900lbs hitch weight. 1,200lb reserve capacity will allow you to have a few hundred pounds of cargo in the bed of the truck

I tow a 26' TT that weighs 6180 lbs. fully loaded for a 12 day trip.  Empty water and waste tanks.  My 2015 F-150 tows it just fine.  If I got any heavier, I think it would push me out of my comfort zone.  My truck is rated for a 9100 lb trailer with a CCC of 1840 lbs.  The Cargo Carrying Capacity on the truck is the number you will reach first.  Tongue weight, passengers, weight distribution hitch and cargo add up fast.

Thank you guys so much for the input. It definitely helps! I think we are going to try to find a 3/4 ton in our price range but if we end up going with a 1/2 ton at least now we know the numbers to look for!

Here's a example of the location of reserve capacity. Note T in lower right corner of sticker on drivers door. T is weight of cargo after passengers in all seats and full tank of gas. Passengers weigh 150lbs. each.  T is for total F is front axle I believe.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/Wireman134/6800%20GVWR%20GM%20truck_zpsr8mk5cja.jpg

This is a 2008 Crew cab 1500 as they were 6,800 GVWR trucks. 661lbs of cargo including hitch weight if 5 passengers who weigh 150lbs are in seats. All the bells and whistles kill 1/2 ton truck cargo capacity

UPDATE. We ended up getting a 2015 Sierra 1500 SLT with the max trailering package. It has the integrated brake controller, tow/haul mode, 3.73 axle ratio, external transmission cooler and tow mirrors. Max cargo/passenger capacity of 2,021 And tow capacity of 9,600. We will be taking the trailer out to the lake for the first time in 3 weeks.
Wanted to thank everyone again for their input and help.

I find it odd that a 2015 sierra 1500 slt has the same rear gear ratio as my '00 Silverado 1/2, reg cab, towing package, class 5 hitch, and with a WD hitch, it's rated a little over 10k, where is yours is topped out at 9600 lbs ?. and I have the 5.3L engine, same transmission setup as yours, but mine is rated higher in towing lbs ?, very odd. if you toss in the WD hitch, have the correct class hitch ?, I see no reason you need a 2500 truck, unless you plan on pulling a 30ft TT ?..lol. I've pulled a '73 nomad from Arkansas to AZ and back, some white knuckle hills !..lol. gas mileage was not good puling it up those hills ?, but did it. I had my truck bed loaded with all my tools, prob close to 800lbs in the truck bed, and no telling how much weight was in the TT ?, but i'm sure I was over 7k on the TT ?!. did my 1/2 ton pull it ?, yes. was it the best ride I ever had ?..HECK NO !..LOL.

Back
Top Bottom