BTW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It'd be kinda hard to not notice it.  :-[

They are hopeful that it won't get as high as last year, however...

I hope it gets even HIGHER than last year, because that will mean a lot of fed up RV owners and a good deal for me on a nice used rig!  ;D

It's $2.75 around my parts for the cheap stuff, and steadily rising.  Actually it's doing that teaser drop right now, down a few pennies from $2.79 a few days ago... maybe another slight drop or two before it skyrockets up another 25-30 cents.  :p 

scottydl said:
...  Actually it's doing that teaser drop right now, down a few pennies from $2.79 a few days ago... maybe another slight drop or two before it skyrockets up another 25-30 cents.  :p 

The Iranians are trying to figure out who they can kidnap next...

In Australia very few people own V8's as they are too expensive to run most people are turning to motobikes as a cheaper way to get around.

When i was in the states at christmas just about everywhere we went everybody was driving either V8's or Big deisels i wish our fuel prices were as cheap as yours

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Ozymick - No matter who you blame - Bush, terrorists, Saudis, our oil addiction - it appears the days of cheap gas are long gone. We've had a brief respite but I'm thinking chances of $4 a gallon will be the norm by Summer. Won't be long before we catch up to you.

For me, commuting is bus, ferry, motorcycle and/or scooter - the idea of taking my SUV back and forth is making less sense every day. One small consolation, at least for me - I was a teenager during the muscle car era when gas was 30 cents a gallon and I ran my '57 Chevy all night, cruising burger stands. Gas was the least of my worries.

Scotty - you made me smile. And I think you're right! Prices of used RVs are bound to go down as more used rigs hit the market. You might be on the road sooner than you thought!  I bought the RV with the idea of using it as a home office/studio and that's about to happen. Still, the trips we're planning this year might be a lot more costly ... yikes!

I was just wondering if serious RV'ers are all that disturbed over the price raise or just consider the price of the lifestyle. You know the old saying: if you're worried about a vehicle's mpg, it's probably not for you. 

chaajoad said:
You know the old saying: if you're worried about a vehicle's mpg, it's probably not for you. 

The other piece of info I've read from experienced RV'ers is this:  when the fuel prices double, you only drive half as far.  That way the travelling cost never changes.  ;)

I, too, drove on 30 cent gas, once upon a time. I lived in Los Angeles in a nice upper-middle class neighborhood in a $22,000 house and drove a new $3,200 Buick, Riviera. I am retired and make more in a month, now, than I did in a year, then. Did something change? I didn't notice.

Oh, something did change. I raised three kids. Have you looked at what it costs to raise one of them, these days. I wouldn't be able to afford it!  :eek: (Fortunately, you can finance them on a 20 year plan and put the payments on a credit card.)  ::)

Ray D  ;D

That house recently sold for just under a million dollars! What a shock!  :eek:

Ray - I'm an older dad with a 9 yr old boy and don't plan on going broke raising him. He's well aware that much of his future depends on HIS working - car, insurance, schooling. We'll help as we can but I'm not working 20 hours a day for my kid. What I WILL do is work hard insuring he realizes the value of work itself and things that are earned, not given.

Might sound cold but this is a happy kid. Christmas time comes and 5 or 6 gifts for him? He's ecstatic! I spring for a Sonics game and he brings his saved allowance to buy souveniers for himself. It was a joy to watch him shop, weighing the price against how badly he wanted the item. But he's learning to pay his way. Recently he opened a can of soup, ate a few bites and decided he wasn't hungry. I deducted a buck from his allowance. Now he thinks twice before discarding food. He's associating waste with cost.

And then there's RV trips - he LOVES those. And no, we don't charge him for those! With rising gas prices, I'm tempted  ;)

Those are some great lessons to be teaching your son Danny, seriously!  I work around a university community, and most college kids nowadays are disrespectful, ungrateful punks.  Their parents pay for everything (including their illegal alcohol and other, ahem, substances), they don't respect any authority, almost none of them have jobs or any other responsibilities, and worst of all they think they're entitled to EVERYTHING just because they're from the suburbs.  :p  Parents are to blame as much as anyone for this trend.  If something doesn't change and this generation grows up to run the world (which they already think they do), we'll all be in trouble.

But to keep this on-topic, yeah gas prices are going up.  ;)

I can do a better job, saying what I meant to say in my last post.

If you look at the cost of living, at any level of income, in the mid 60s and compare those costs, today, 30 cents a gallon was more expensive than $3.00 a gallon gas, today. I think the constant dollar cost would be more like $6.00, today. Fuel has declined in price, substantially, in the total scheme of things.

My comment on the cost of raising children was off topic. But, it has been a shocker for me, for years! Had a chance to vent, and ran with it.  As to the behavior of some modern kids, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. If I had to raise them, today, I'm afraid I'd be in jail! I wouldn't be able to do it. I really admire the modern parents who handle that job well. (And, there are a lot of them!)

Ray D.  ;D

chaajoad said:
I'm an older dad with a 9 yr old boy and don't plan on going broke raising him. He's well aware that much of his future depends on HIS working - car, insurance, schooling. We'll help as we can but I'm not working 20 hours a day for my kid. What I WILL do is work hard insuring he realizes the value of work itself and things that are earned, not given.

I wish there were more like you, making their kids work for what they get instead of giving it to them. I worked for and paid for my first car. I joined the Army to get the money for college. No one gave those to me and I think I'm better for it.

I guess my first question would be - is it okay to go off topic? I see other threads meander a lot. I've seen board moderators step in if it gets political or testy but ... we're all in the same forum, right?

Anyway - I read an op-ed piece today from a woman who couldn't understand why an adult approaches a bunch of loud teens and is automatically apprehensive. I think I have a few ideas.

My family was pretty pathetic. Alcohol, mental problems - not a good atmosphere. Still, I was raised to say "please and thank you", to help others, to be polite to elders, etc. When I was a kid I got in a ton of trouble but ... we tried to do things out of sight of adults and authority. Today, it's flaunted, with the "whattya gonna do about it?" mentality. They know we won't do much because we don't want to get hurt or sued. And when I did get in trouble, no one bailed me out. I recall wrecking the first car I had at 16. My parents insurance was cancelled and it was one of two times I saw tears in my dad's eyes. He was a very proud AAA member for decades and I blew it for him. I spent most of the next year without wheels, working to pay my parents back. another time I had a very bad afternoon and racked up about $500 in traffic fines (remember - this was the late 60's! It would be thousands today) and had no money so I was sentenced to 30 days in jail. A friend's parents offered to bail me out if I would paint their house. So, I hitchiked/walked/bummed a ride to their house for weeks and painted the house.

I don't want my kid to learn lessons that hard but I do want him to learn. And it's kind of the "light one candle in the darkness" thing. For every punk and for every parent who's botching their job, maybe I can offset at least one of them by doing my level best to raise a responsible, honest, polite, level-headed kid.

This forum is a bit like that. With all the craziness on the roads, in public places and the disrespect we often deal with daily, it's nice to have a little haven where folks are nice and willing to give advice and to even disagree with respect. So there - this last paragraph is kind of on topic, right?

Hey, you started the topic so you can take it as far off-course as you want!  ;)  I love your attitude about child-rearing, and your experiences as a youngster IMO makes you even more credible as one who wants to skew that pattern in a positive direction.

I'm with you 100% on this forum, I love it.  There are a couple others like it, with great content, admins/moderators, and members.  And all the rest of the boards I steer clear from!  :D

I guess my first question would be - is it okay to go off topic? I see other threads meander a lot. I've seen board moderators step in if it gets political or testy but ... we're all in the same forum, right?

We all go off topic occasionally and sometimes we get reined in, but that's not often.  ;) That said, why not just start a new topic?

ArdraF

If a thread gets too far off topic, one of us will split it off into a new thread in the appropriate section.  No big deal, thread drift is a fact of life on the internet :)

Threads going off topic.. That is called THREAD DRIFT and it is not an option  It is the RULE on the internet :)

And as for the adult/teen setting you cited

Well, teens, and the louder the more this applies, as a general rule, are at a stage where they are "Spreading their wings" and learning about life... The hard way (in many cases)

There is an old joke "Hire a teen while they still know everything"

And another "When I was a Teen I was amazed at how stupid my old man was,  Now that I'm older I'm amazed at how much he learned in such a short time"

Well, an adult approaching said loud group is very likely intending to ask them to do something reasonable, Such as quiet down a bit.  The teens know this, the adult knows this and the teens do not wish to party quiet, they wish to party hardy.  Thus, everybody understands that there will be confrontation.

Of course... Sometimes the adult says "Hey, good tune, crank it up a bit will you" which often results in teenage rebellion (Turning it down)

Hey John -

Good post, made me smile. I have another advantage when it comes to the 9 year old. I married his mom when he was 2 and my deliberate aim was to find a woman with a child - I needed a family and needed to repair sins from the past. So, not being his bio-dad and my sole purpose being to raise him straight and true, he can pull the rebellious thing or yell "I hate you" and it won't faze me at all. Too many parents are scared to death of rejection. Not me. It's a challenge and one I'm more than up for.

The other day we were bowling and I whupped him all 3 games so he was a bit down. We had a talk about aging and I told him there would be a day when he would be ableto whip me in just about physical stuff and that will be a sad day. It means dad is really getting old and the end is near so treasure EVERY minute of me being stronger and faster. Because when he's stronger and faster than me, I sure will treasure every one of those memories.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom