Newbie bought 1999 Thor Hurricane - fresh water overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pathfinder8008

Just bought 1999 Thor Hurricane 31, excellent condition.  Hooked up to city water and fresh water tank overflows.  Is this bad check valve?  If so, can someone tell me where it is and how to fix it?  I am a new RVer.  Have mercy.

Do you have a rinse inlet? It is possible that you have two inlets..one to fill the tank, and the other to rinse it? Make sure you have the water turned off to the rinse inlet, otherwise, with the outlet closed, the tank will fill up and begin over flowing.

cgmartin said:
Do you have a rinse inlet? It is possible that you have two inlets..one to fill the tank, and the other to rinse it? Make sure you have the water turned off to the rinse inlet, otherwise, with the outlet closed, the tank will fill up and begin over flowing.

Don't know what you mean by a rinse inlet.  To me a rinse inlet would be used for rinsing the black water tank. What you may mean is that the OP may have two ways to fill the tank. One through the standard gravity fill  and the other by opening a designated valve in the fresh water system and filling the fresh water tank while hooked up to shore power. That valve may be partially opened.
The other thing is that there is a check valve in the water pump, if that's leaking by when hooked up to shore power, water will fill the tank.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling this is why the PO of my coach removed the fill valve from ours.  Been considering reinstalling it, but we don't really miss it, since neither of our previous RVs had it.

Three possibilities that I see:
1. The fresh water tank fill valve (if equipped) is open. Many Rvs have a valve that allows the city inlet water to bypass (divert) and fill the fresh tank. Just close that valve.
2. Same as 31 except that valve is defective and letting water through even though it appears to be closed.
3. The water pump is defective and letting water through the pump back into the tank. That's a bad pump diaphragm or pump check valve.

Thanks for all of the replies.  You guys are awesome.  I will have to research all of this information as I don't really know if there is a valve that is open or water pump diaphragm that is bad.  I am still in my first week owning my first motorhome. I'll have to get back to you when I find out. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom