WOW! It's actually getting very near!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theboomanchu

My wife has been retired now for over a year.  The house is on the market and I have announced my upcoming retirement.  (the actual date still forthcoming, but sometime this summer or (most likely)before). 

We are starting to load some of the few belongings we will take with us in the 5th wheel, and diligently getting rid of a lifetime accumulation of "stuff", and holy cow is there a bunch of it! 

With every item that goes out the door, I somehow feel that another part of my "load" is going with it and I am beginning to wonder why we as a society think that the more "stuff" we have, the more "successful" we are or that we are worth more.  I am beginning to realize that the more "stuff" we have, the more stress we bring into our own lives.  I should have adopted The K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid, in case you don't know) mentality to more than just specific areas of my life long ago, and applied those principles to my entire life.  Well, I am here to tell you that moving forward this is how we will live out the remainder of our years.

It is a little scary, but the excitement does override it.  KUDOS to those of you, especially those young families who have figured this out at a younger age.

Looking forward to running into any and all of you out on the roads in a very short time.  Godspeed!

Theboomanchu said:
I am beginning to wonder why we as a society think that the more "stuff" we have, the more "successful" we are or that we are worth more.  I am beginning to realize that the more "stuff" we have, the more stress we bring into our own lives.

I read someplace that the one's with the most toys at the end wins.  ;D :D ;)

I read someplace that the one's with the most toys at the end wins.    

There was a profound bumper sticker I read some years back; "The one that dies with the most toys, Is dead"

We all need toys, I for one was gathering far to many and once purged from my life has not been missed.

We are starting the purge ourselves and the wife is taking it hard, she has a hard time with the emotional attachment to things, and for us as a young couple (me 32 and her 34) with 2 kids (9 and 3) we have alot of emotional things. Also we plan on going full time, but she has put a 1 year trial period on this, so she doesnt want to get rid of anything we might need if we move back into a regular home again.

I close on my house this Friday. It sold in 8 hours on the market. Friday I will be in a 30 foot rv with 2 cats and a dog full time.

Only things going into storage is furniture my dad made and a few items that I really treasure. Purging has been a real eye opener on waste-both money and time. I sold somethings, donated to Habitat for humanity,  Salvation Army, pet rescue organizations, gave stuff to friends. It has been one of the most freeing things I have done. No regrets. Lot of time wasted maintaining stuff instead of time with friends and family.

Heading to Alaska soon!

Deb

Being military for 24 years and then US government civil service for another 12 we probably averaged moving every three years (for 36 years). We still have unopened boxes in the attic from 2 or 3 moves back. If we got rid of everything we haven't used in a few months we could downsize to a tiny home and have plenty of room. No, I think we'll just hold onto to it and make our kids deal with it as payback after we die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom